• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desire for Belief

Freedomelf

Calyr believe that the Christians have subverted the words "You must accept as a little child." Children do not put binders on their imagination just because someone tells them a story. They may believe the story, but that doesn't mean they can't believe a thousand other stories, too. I too, believe in the possibility of all things, and that's why I became Calyr. Each of us is meant to follow a unique path. There is no one religion, including mine, that fits all people. Find your soul, stay gentle and beautiful and loving, and believe as you wish to believe, without anyone telling you that you are wrong or crazy or going to hell. You aren't. You are beautiful.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So an update from the past week. I participated in a Samhain ritual this past weekend.
It was awesome in the sense that it inspired awe. I needed to hear some of the things that I was told on a very personal level. Whether it game from the goddess in question, or my friend who had invoked her, I don't honestly know. I am very deliberately suspending my disbelief and trying to just... go with it? It was not only helpful then but has given me several methods of dealing with some stressful emotions in what has been a roller coaster of a year.

So, that said, I was given a ritual by an acquaintance to perform this evening in particular. While I found it personally... cathartic?.. I did not feel anything else. But I'm going to wait and see if anything else comes from it. I'm trying to have an open mind which feels like such a contradiction since I want to believe so you would think I wouldn't have to try so hard.

It's not something that is easy.

Glad you had a good experience. Personally, the best things have always happened for me when I stop trying and just let it happen on its own. Found my love of several lifetimes that way, after trying real hard to find "true love." I just said I'm not going out looking for anymore, I'll just wait and see if it happens. I was okay with not finding a life partner at the time, after several disappointments. It wasn't long before we were introduced. I did need to be slapped upside the head to notice at first, but the spirits provided friends for that!;)

The learning to wait patiently, without waiting--that's kind of a Buddhist idea, I guess--and without worry and without thinking about it and so on, is hard, but I've learned after a fashion to do it. Best things are never easy, but also don't seem to be that hard, once you've gone through it...or maybe, the reward of getting there makes the getting there not as difficult, if you get my drift...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Calyr believe that the Christians have subverted the words "You must accept as a little child." Children do not put binders on their imagination just because someone tells them a story. They may believe the story, but that doesn't mean they can't believe a thousand other stories, too. I too, believe in the possibility of all things, and that's why I became Calyr. Each of us is meant to follow a unique path. There is no one religion, including mine, that fits all people. Find your soul, stay gentle and beautiful and loving, and believe as you wish to believe, without anyone telling you that you are wrong or crazy or going to hell. You aren't. You are beautiful.

just looked at your website; you've a very pleasant way, it appears to me. overlaps much with my own beliefs...but true to form, I'll continue on my path as you continue on yours!;)

Orias

Left Hand Path
I'm trying to understand why I want to believe so bad. The thing is, that it's not just religion. I want to believe in magic and fairies and dragons and portals to another world and that The Doctor could land on my balcony in his big blue box and whisk me away to another world. I want the possibility to be there.

I never want to lose the perspective of a child, where anything can happen just around the corner. I want it ALL to be real. And similarly I want faith, I want there to be something out there, but I'm not happy unless I actually feel like I know what it is. I can't just guess, I have to know what truth is.

But I don't believe. :(

Can anyone else relate?

I can relate. Though I wouldn't necessarily that its a perception of a child, and I'd be interested to know what you say that.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I can relate. Though I wouldn't necessarily that its a perception of a child, and I'd be interested to know what you say that.

It's mostly a way to explain it. Watch a kid's face at Christmas for example. That MAGIC is not there on the typical teenager or adult. We're happy and excited but we are not in AWE of this magical appearance of presents that happens. Kids BELIEVE. That there could be fairies that mess up your clothes or monsters under the bed.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed -G. K. Chesterton
That. That that THAT. I want to know dragons exist again. Does that make sense?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I see, but if you want it so bad can't you make it a reality?

I believe there are ways :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
"You can't see miracles unless you believe in them."

So basically change your perception they'll be everywhere at a snap of a finger

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
"You can't see miracles unless you believe in them."

So basically change your perception they'll be everywhere at a snap of a finger

How does one change one's perception both intentionally and authentically? I could start believing that if I don't put a horseshoe over my door the Fair Folk will come and steal my children, but that doesn't actually make it true.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
How does one change one's perception both intentionally and authentically?

Not sure, it could be difficult for other people on varying degrees, but I'm sure there's a way to change your outlook of things being positive and negative (optimism and pessimism). But as far as I know you, you're a very optimistic person :)

I could start believing that if I don't put a horseshoe over my door the Fair Folk will come and steal my children, but that doesn't actually make it true.

But if you start believing that the outcome is always good, whatever it be, then it will be.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Drolefille, sometimes I feel that the reason why I feel so at ease with my own lack of belief is because I enjoy a lot of inspirational art. There is an organic response that I would probably miss a lot if it were denied me.

Have you noticed how well it works for you?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I don't find that authentic at all. Outcomes are sometimes bad even when we hope for the best. They're sometimes good even if we're depressed.

And I don't need the horseshoe because a Sicilian Triskelion hangs in front of my door (this is its old location)
bwq8Z.jpg

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Drolefille, sometimes I feel that the reason why I feel so at ease with my own lack of belief is because I enjoy a lot of inspirational art. There is an organic response that I would probably miss a lot if it were denied me.

Have you noticed how well it works for you?
Can you say a bit more about what you mean? As in, what is inspirational art to you?

I love to lose myself in music, and have an appreciation for art and reading as well.

But I don't see the connection with belief or lack thereof? Help me understand what you mean.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are times when I can vividly recall specific songs (for instance, Jeff Wayne's "Thunderchild" or Sergio Mendes' "Olympia") and use them to bring a strong emotional responde in myself. A similar effect may be brought by scenes from works of fiction, such as Hunger Games, some Anime and Manga, or one of the last scenes of the Great Darkness Saga of the Legion of Superheroes.

It may be very inspirational and motivating. In some sense, it makes me feel truer to myself, more aware of who I am and what I want deep down. It affects breathing and heartbeat as well. While I don't really believe in, say, the literal existence of Pretas and Asuras, I may reflect on the themes those concepts bring to mind and feel very moved by them all the same.

Desire realm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actual belief, I have noticed, seems to bring somewhat similar sensations to many people. It is not clear to me that the belief itself is the most significant element, however. It may well be one of many possible paths to the fulfillment everyone needs.

Much as in Hinduism it is usual to acknowledge that there are various general kinds of Yoga that are not so much better than each other as more suited to people with specific kinds of vocations and affinities (Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Jnana Yoga), it is my sincere belief that some people are just not cut of a cloth that suits itself well to some kinds of belief, while others are. It is far less a matter of capability than one of vocation. It may be useful to find, so to speak, your specific voice. Maybe you are the kind of person who may react well to some effort at learning how to dance (there are several very spiritual varieties of dance, by the way); maybe it would do you good to write your own tales, or sing, or simply discuss the significance of some entity or concept of your interest. There is much truth in the statement that speaking about things allows us to realize how much we truly know or fail to about them.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
The thing is, I have many of these things and not the fulfillment that you speak of. I actually find music very emotionally ... well manipulating isn't the right word, but I'm easily swayed by it, inspired sometimes, other times it's clearly invoking the desired emotion - whether skillfully or clumsily, I tend to be sucked in. I've danced, I've played sports, I'm seeking to learn martial arts, I read, I craft, I get in long intellectual discussions. I don't have much in the way of writing ability - I don't have the inspiration - but I've done some of that too.

So while what you say may well be true - people find their inspiration, their spiritual fulfillment in a variety of places - I'm not finding mine. If this drive goes away because I discover my love of the art of pottery, then it goes away and I'll be content. Unfortunately, until then I am still seeking.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sometimes the seeking of fulfillment remains the meat of such a journey.

If you ever do happen to find or stumble across what your looking for, I sometimes wonder just what the heck you do with it anyways?

Some folks enjoy hoofing it around, of which in turn upon reflection remains fulfilling enough.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Sometimes the seeking of fulfillment remains the meat of such a journey.

If you ever do happen to find or stumble across what your looking for, I sometimes wonder just what the heck you do with it anyways?

Some folks enjoy hoofing it around, of which in turn upon reflection remains fulfilling enough.
Certainly possible.

Entertainingly I play a character in a game that is constantly on the road and has no desire to settle down. She is certainly part of me - all my characters are - but I don't know if this aspect is or not.