• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desire for Belief

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I'm trying to understand why I want to believe so bad. The thing is, that it's not just religion. I want to believe in magic and fairies and dragons and portals to another world and that The Doctor could land on my balcony in his big blue box and whisk me away to another world. I want the possibility to be there.

I never want to lose the perspective of a child, where anything can happen just around the corner. I want it ALL to be real. And similarly I want faith, I want there to be something out there, but I'm not happy unless I actually feel like I know what it is. I can't just guess, I have to know what truth is.

But I don't believe. :(

Can anyone else relate?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'm trying to understand why I want to believe so bad. The thing is, that it's not just religion. I want to believe in magic and fairies and dragons and portals to another world and that The Doctor could land on my balcony in his big blue box and whisk me away to another world. I want the possibility to be there.

I never want to lose the perspective of a child, where anything can happen just around the corner. I want it ALL to be real. And similarly I want faith, I want there to be something out there, but I'm not happy unless I actually feel like I know what it is. I can't just guess, I have to know what truth is.

Can anyone else relate?

Absolutely!

Mankind have physical needs for food, shelter etc, but we also have an inner spiritual need. I believe that comes from being created with a 6th sense....the sense that there is a spiritual world and the need to connect to it.

If we are created by a spiritual creator, who made us with the ability to know him/her, then it stands to reason that our interest in the unseen world would be a reality within us.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Absolutely!

Mankind have physical needs for food, shelter etc, but we also have an inner spiritual need. I believe that comes from being created with a 6th sense....the sense that there is a spiritual world and the need to connect to it.

If we are created by a spiritual creator, who made us with the ability to know him/her, then it stands to reason that our interest in the unseen world would be a reality within us.
But not everyone feels this same needs and even the most ardent believers don't all believe in everything. See dragons, fairies, and magic portals to other lands.

I have an issue with being created and then ignored. But that's another day.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I remember having a conversation with someone I once worked with about such things. Fairies and dragons and the like. I don't remember what all exactly I said, but apparently it was pretty illuminating and convincing, because I believe they walked away actually believing. :p I think I recall the general jist of my points during our conversation. Perhaps sometime we could have a like conversation and maybe your wish could come true :p lol

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I remember having a conversation with someone I once worked with about such things. Fairies and dragons and the like. I don't remember what all exactly I said, but apparently it was pretty illuminating and convincing, because I believe they walked away actually believing. :p I think I recall the general jist of my points during our conversation. Perhaps sometime we could have a like conversation and maybe your wish could come true :p lol
Any time milady.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The me of many years ago can relate. I made a conscious decision many years ago to not define reality in narrow terms (e.g., excluding imagination/otherworlds from reality). Sine then, all I really have to do if I want to be "whisked away to another world" is journey. Or put more simply, use your imagination. That's pretty much all journey work is (as well as related terms, like astral projection, role playing, etc.). Let it be real to you - there's no reason not to provided you can be responsible with it. And you do have to be responsible with it given mainstream society rejects those aspects of reality; it's usually not wise to start talking about your otherworldly relations and forays in general conversation even if you couch it in terms mundanes will accept like "playing pretend."

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
The me of many years ago can relate. I made a conscious decision many years ago to not define reality in narrow terms (e.g., excluding imagination/otherworlds from reality). Sine then, all I really have to do if I want to be "whisked away to another world" is journey. Or put more simply, use your imagination. That's pretty much all journey work is (as well as related terms, like astral projection, role playing, etc.). Let it be real to you - there's no reason not to provided you can be responsible with it. And you do have to be responsible with it given mainstream society rejects those aspects of reality; it's usually not wise to start talking about your otherworldly relations and forays in general conversation even if you couch it in terms mundanes will accept like "playing pretend."

I agree with this. You only live this life as you once. If inner realms and the suspension of disbelief increase your sense of personal awe, wonder, creativity, delight-- inspiring even more wonderful things in you, it will make you a more wonder-full person. The 'spirit' of a thing in you DOES change your reality. Your reality is the only one you own. You are the artist of your own life. Paint it the way you want. :)

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I don't know if the practice of magic interests you, but it really is largely about bringing things into being. There are as many ways to approach it as there are individuals who enter in there. If you can suspend disbelief for the sake of entering into the world of a movie, you can suspend disbelief for the sake of entering into any 'other' reality. ;)

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I don't know if the practice of magic interests you, but it really is largely about bringing things into being. There are as many ways to approach it as there are individuals who enter in there. If you can suspend disbelief for the sake of entering into the world of a movie, you can suspend disbelief for the sake of entering into any 'other' reality. ;)

It does interest me but I have little to no experience of it and am very left brained sometimes.

Can anyone else relate?

There are people, perhaps, who never believed, because they never needed to believe. I mean, if a person doesn't need to believe, he is actually a person who is quite evolved, not immoral, even if the person be an atheist. I was not a believer in God, because I didn't understand, what God meant. I am a believer, not because I understand the word 'God' but I believe in what the meaning is personally, perhaps very well. I was in a situation, where I needed to believe completely, having no belief at all, and I did know what God signified. It didn't occur to me, to think about God, in this situation, for many years after. I didn't believe in my intellect, my reason, the reason of others, their intellect, and this situation, made me completely helpless. There was something in me, which recognized this situation, in a way, which I appreciated very well, in a way, which I valued immensely. A time came, when I lost this sense of value, and I recognized this also, as I did, and I felt completely helpless. I thought religion might help me think, and I did find a master in Hinduism, who is supposed to be like Jesus. I didn't know that he is supposed to be a Hindu incarnation. I found, his teachings were so simple, yet, so truthful, and so elevated, that I found no questions to ask myself on the matter. The teachings were like, "If you want money dearly, you will not find God, and you will be unhappy." I didn't actually want money dearly, or otherwise. "Every woman is like the Divine Mother". (I dearly love my mother, and the idea was very precious). In Hinduism, you can think of God as divine, and also as father or mother. I thought of this man, undoubtedly as God. I say man, because he thought of and worshipped his wife, as he did his Hindu diety, whom he called the Divine Mother. He also did this with all the women he met. He had an aversion for money, and didn't stand the touch of money. I felt, that he was living his life, in a manner, that I didn't know, and he was speaking of his devotion for God, with an assurance, not to have followers, but because of his conviction. Other people could promise help, but only helped, according to themselves, which is natural. I didn't believe in what he said, before I read his sayings, and I didn't believe that what was contrary to his perception was wrong at all. People's lives are not seemingly certain to their own perception, and perhaps also to those of others, and people actually want to help their own uncertainty, when they try to help others. I don't think they succeed, because this process seems to be continuous. This Avatar spoke of loving God, when God did not give a perception of helping in a way, which could change, and human help is of this nature, which may be no help in some situations. He loved people dearly, who loved God. He believed God is with form and without form, and he said, in effect that devotion to God, for material gain, is like walking on water, when one can cross the river, paying the boatman a small amount. This is why I know this man to be the incarnation of the Avatar.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Most folks have done spellcraft at some point in their lives, but haven't called it that, because many of the disciplines overlap with things that are pretty ordinary once you strip away all the esoteric terminology. Journeywork really is using your imagination, only journeywork often has ceremonial trappings that help facilitate the process and make the experience more lucid and real (aka, assists in suspension of disbelief).

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Most folks have done spellcraft at some point in their lives, but haven't called it that, because many of the disciplines overlap with things that are pretty ordinary once you strip away all the esoteric terminology. Journeywork really is using your imagination, only journeywork often has ceremonial trappings that help facilitate the process and make the experience more lucid and real (aka, assists in suspension of disbelief).

I have done some actual spellcraft and am familiar to a small degree with how it overlaps with other practices. I just don't... Believe. Even though I want to.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you want to believe, it'll come. It can take time. Fundamental changes in one's worldview take time. I would give it a year, at least. Less than that only if you have a profound mystical experience. :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
We desire to be someone else of who we're not.

But you do believe in stuff - morality, love, even your own existence. We all believe in things, or else we'd have no emotion, no perception.

Last edited:

Dingbat

I find the more I try to grasp for a spiritual path the more elusive it becomes. It is like trying to grab running water. My spirituality does much better when I go with the flow instead of trying to force myself onto a path.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been looking for five years.

What tools and guides have you used along the way? How diligent has the search been?

Years are not always important. They're deceptive. As a comparison, there's this tendency in the Neopagan community to as "how many years you've practiced" as if it actually means something. It doesn't, because what one person does in a year could be half of what another does in three months. There's no regimented study program like K-12 education.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I find the more I try to grasp for a spiritual path the more elusive it becomes. It is like trying to grab running water. My spirituality does much better when I go with the flow instead of trying to force myself onto a path.
This is fair, and something I'm working on in my life. I don't give up control well.

What tools and guides have you used along the way? How diligent has the search been?

Years are not always important. They're deceptive. As a comparison, there's this tendency in the Neopagan community to as "how many years you've practiced" as if it actually means something. It doesn't, because what one person does in a year could be half of what another does in three months. There's no regimented study program like K-12 education.
Also fair. Although it would make life easier. I've done a lot of reading, gotten distracted, done some amount of practice, flirting with Indo-paganism, giving up and putting things behind me and sometimes hitting points of screw it all, but the desire for belief remains on some level and the lack of belief is incredibly frustrating.

Dingbat

This is fair, and something I'm working on in my life. I don't give up control well.

I hear you on that. It is something I constantly wrestle with as well. Though it was only recently where I realized it was the majority of where my problems lied.