• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design your own religion

Noaidi

slow walker
Sure, why not?
All religions were invented by people, whether it was centuries ago or yesterday. If you need it and it helps you get through your life, then yes, forge your own way.

(just don't expect everyone to believe it, though. And don't persecute them if they don't!)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
"If everyone is super, nobody is."

Same works with religion, why create billions of religions if there will only be one follower?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I tend to think that the world already has enough religion. Let's work with reality now and see how we do. Sound like a plan?

strikeviperMKII

Sure, why not?
All religions were invented by people, whether it was centuries ago or yesterday. If you need it and it helps you get through your life, then yes, forge your own way.

(just don't expect everyone to believe it, though. And don't persecute them if they don't!)

Wow. The word 'invent' is incorrect when it comes to religion. I believe that is what cults are.

strikeviperMKII

Interesting. "One man's religion is another man's cult" and all that.
What word would you use instead of 'invent'?

Would you say that Benjamin Franklin 'invented' electricity? No, he discovered it that lightning was an electrical discharge. That is very much like religion. A cult is something someone invents because they think have something to prove, mainly to themselves, and try to convince others they need to prove it too.
The difference between that and religion can be very difficult to distinguish sometimes, but if you're inventing 'religion', that's a surefire sign its not religion.

Noaidi

slow walker
Would you say that Benjamin Franklin 'invented' electricity? No, he discovered it that lightning was an electrical discharge. That is very much like religion. A cult is something someone invents because they think have something to prove, mainly to themselves, and try to convince others they need to prove it too.
The difference between that and religion can be very difficult to distinguish sometimes, but if you're inventing 'religion', that's a surefire sign its not religion.

This implies that religion existed prior to humans 'discovering' it. Religion is a human construct. People may believe it is inspired, but it still had to created.

strikeviperMKII

This implies that religion existed prior to humans 'discovering' it. Religion is a human construct. People may believe it is inspired, but it still had to created.

So are electrical generators, electronic equipment, and anything else that uses electricity. In order to use much of the things that we find around us, we have to create something.

Religion relies on human life experience to exist, just as a computer needs electricity to run.

Noaidi

slow walker
So are electrical generators, electronic equipment, and anything else that uses electricity. In order to use much of the things that we find around us, we have to create something.

Religion relies on human life experience to exist, just as a computer needs electricity to run.

Yes, this is my point. Religion exists because humans created / invented it.If there were no humans and associated life experiences, religion would not exist (note that I am not talking about 'spirituality' here - only religion.)

Can you illustrate how religion is not a human invention, then?

strikeviperMKII

Yes, this is my point. Religion exists because humans created / invented it.If there were no humans and associated life experiences, religion would not exist (note that I am not talking about 'spirituality' here - only religion.)

Can you illustrate how religion is not a human invention, then?

I suppose I am being nitpicky about words here. Yes, it is true that were there no humans around, religion could not be expressed in human terms. Religion can be seen through other forms of life as well, not just humans...just that if there aren't any humans around, it can't be told in a human language.

Religion is a framework, but still it is based on something that is not invented (which I believe you call spirituality). My point is if religion is created/invented without this base, it has no right to call itself religion.

As a side note, many who experience this true religion will tell you that it feels very much like it discovered them, not the other way around. They use words like revelation (Archimedes would say 'eureka') to describe it for precisely this reason.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
In my opinion, there are billions of people in this world, and thus, billions of religions (or lack thereof). No one has exactly the same take on religion, spirituality or whatnot as the next person, even if they share the same general faith. I don't think it's unnecessary, strange or wrong for someone to create their own religion... I think it's essential. We all need to think for ourselves and define for ourselves what we need and want, and if that involves walking one's own path by themselves, good for them.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
In my opinion, there are billions of people in this world, and thus, billions of religions (or lack thereof). No one has exactly the same take on religion, spirituality or whatnot as the next person, even if they share the same general faith. I don't think it's unnecessary, strange or wrong for someone to create their own religion... I think it's essential. We all need to think for ourselves and define for ourselves what we need and want, and if that involves walking one's own path by themselves, good for them.
Precisely. religion can be found in daily rituals such as how you take your coffee, or the fact that a certain music record brings out specific feelings from you. religious experience is a journey, a testament to that is the way self proclaimed atheists have started to write books about atheism. as if long time atheists suddenly needed an education on the subject. it is the same social psychology of religion.
I do not believe in the supernatural, so an atheist technically, but I see the psychological manifestation of religion to go well beyond the inane make beliefs in miracles and into social archetypes, collective psychology, esoteric meaning behind mainstream religion, and so much more. religion in history has encompassed the Imperial and the ruling elite, and the small, poor and persecuted, it has encompassed the very intimate and personal, and the campaigns of entire states and central authorities. it has also included everything in between.

Last edited:

Freedomelf

Absolutely. Excellently put.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Become a Unitarian Universalist if you feel you need a church for some reason. The UU's are non-creedal. You won't be told anything you must believe but instead are encouraged to determine what beliefs (or non-belief) make the most sense to you as your understanding of human existence.

yoheisato

If one is capable of re-engineering one's own faith system, one will find the ultimate peace in the custom-tailored faith. The process of creating a faith is so worth going through in so many senses. Consider the difference of depth between those who follow the path and those who create the path.