• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe your spiritual practices

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Describe your religious practices if you like.

For those who don't know, I find a soul who I admire or who I feel compassion for. I enshrine them and pray for their soul and then I receive holy Communion for their soul and for their intentions. It mystically unites us forever.

At various times in my life it has been thoroughly rewarding and felt like my spirit was United with theirs . Oddly enough it got me in trouble with the police on one occasion though, and I had a detective come search my room and take pictures.

I'm a bit too fond of praying for those who have died tragic , torturous , or humiliating deaths.

I framed some pictures, put them in the woods and planted flowers nearby. Somebody notified the police.

But I found a great reward and feel like our prayers can exalt and give Treasures to the deceased and help them as they journey to the first degree of glory, joy, and spiritual perfection.

I burn copious amounts of incense and candles as well.

I also pray to and for aborted babies, for they died without the stain of sin. I'm probably the only person here that's ever done that. To each their own.

It's what I feel tugging and calling at my heart.

Share your religious practices if you like.

God bless!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure if this counts but I hate crossing roads and after nearly every time I safely cross I say 'Baruch HaShem', Thank G-d.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
I'm a polytheist. I believe in an unlimited multitude of gods. I believe that the gods are the source of all that's good in the world.

I believe that reality is mutable, and possibly different for other people but that there are certain 'points' that are the same across our realities.

I believe in divine reciprocity, what the Greeks called 'kharis' (grace).

I believe in divine law and morals (not much in the way for dogma).

I don't believe any single one religion is the only way, and any who claim such exclusivity are false religions. I'm not a follower of most organized religions.

I believe in purity vs impurity, which can be caused by physical and/or metaphysical actions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

For those who don't know, I find a soul who I admire or who I feel compassion for. I enshrine them and pray for their soul and then I receive holy Communion for their soul and for their intentions. It mystically unites us forever.

At various times in my life it has been thoroughly rewarding and felt like my spirit was United with theirs . Oddly enough it got me in trouble with the police on one occasion though, and I had a detective come search my room and take pictures.

I'm a bit too fond of praying for those who have died tragic , torturous , or humiliating deaths.

I framed some pictures, put them in the woods and planted flowers nearby. Somebody notified the police.

But I found a great reward and feel like our prayers can exalt and give Treasures to the deceased and help them as they journey to the first degree of glory, joy, and spiritual perfection.

I also pray to and for aborted babies, for they died without the stain of sin. I'm probably the only person here that's ever done that. To each their own.

God bless!
I just sit and see what comes out of the woodwork.

Workman

UNIQUE
  1. Describe your religious practices if you like.

God bless!
And for what awaits from you..will be yours..indeed it will, I will make sure of it myself!..behold of what be you and yours.
For I have already chosen(ed).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This turned up on my Facebook feed the other day and describes my spiritual practice. It's long so I cut a couple of paragraphs that were peripheral to the story and moral:

A chassid went to the Baal Shem Tov ...and said, “Rebbe, I want to see Elijah the Prophet.”

“It’s simple,” said the Baal Shem. “I’ll tell you what to do. Get two boxes and fill one with food and the other with children’s clothes. Then, before Rosh Hashanah, travel to Minsk. On the outskirts of town, right before where the forest begins, is a dilapidated house. Find that house, but don’t knock on the door immediately; stand there for a while and listen. Then, shortly before candle-lighting time at sunset, knock on the door and ask for hospitality.”
So he went and did as the Baal Shem Tov told him. He filled the parcels with food and clothing and went to Minsk, where he found the broken-down house at the edge of town. He arrived shortly before evening and stood in front of the door, listening. Inside, he heard children crying, “Mommy, we’re hungry. And it’s Yom Tov and we don’t even have decent clothes to wear!” He heard the mother answer, “Children, trust in G‑d. He’ll send Elijah the Prophet to bring you everything you need!”

Then the chassid knocked on the door. When the woman opened it, he asked if he could stay with them for the holiday. “How can I welcome you when I don’t have any food in the house?” she said. “Don’t worry,” he said, “I have enough food for all of us.” He came in, opened the box, gave the children the food, and they ate. Then he opened the other box and the children all took clothes for themselves: this one a shirt, that one a jacket, the other one a hat. He was there for two days, waiting to see Elijah the Prophet. He did not even sleep. How could he sleep? How often do you get a chance to see Elijah the Prophet? But he saw no one.

So he returned to the Baal Shem Tov and said, “Master, I did not see Elijah the Prophet!” “Did you do everything I told you?” asked the Baal Shem Tov. “I did!” he said. “And you didn’t see him?” “No, Rebbe.” “Are you sure?” “Yes, Rebbe! I didn’t see him!” “Then you’ll have to return for Yom Kippur,” said the Baal Shem Tov. “Go back before Yom Kippur, with a box of food, to the same house. Again, be sure to arrive an hour before sunset, and don’t knock immediately. Wait for a while and just stand in front of the door, listening.”
So he went back to Minsk before Yom Kippur. This time, he went earlier and stood in front of the door, listening. Inside he heard children crying, “Mommy, we’re hungry! We haven’t eaten the whole day! How can we fast for Yom Kippur?” “Children!” said the mother. “Do you remember you were crying before Rosh Hashanah that you had no food or clothes? And I told you, ‘Trust in G‑d! He’ll send Elijah the Prophet, who’ll bring you food and clothing and everything else you need!’ Wasn’t I right? Didn’t Elijah come and bring you food and clothing? He stayed with us for two days! Now you’re crying again that you’re hungry. I promise you that Elijah will come now, too, and bring you food!”

Then the chassid understood what his master, the Baal Shem Tov, had meant. And he knocked on the door.

Facebook link for those who have a login

Spiderman

Veteran Member
This turned up on my Facebook feed the other day and describes my spiritual practice. It's long so I cut a couple of paragraphs that were peripheral to the story and moral:

A chassid went to the Baal Shem Tov ...and said, “Rebbe, I want to see Elijah the Prophet.”

“It’s simple,” said the Baal Shem. “I’ll tell you what to do. Get two boxes and fill one with food and the other with children’s clothes. Then, before Rosh Hashanah, travel to Minsk. On the outskirts of town, right before where the forest begins, is a dilapidated house. Find that house, but don’t knock on the door immediately; stand there for a while and listen. Then, shortly before candle-lighting time at sunset, knock on the door and ask for hospitality.”
So he went and did as the Baal Shem Tov told him. He filled the parcels with food and clothing and went to Minsk, where he found the broken-down house at the edge of town. He arrived shortly before evening and stood in front of the door, listening. Inside, he heard children crying, “Mommy, we’re hungry. And it’s Yom Tov and we don’t even have decent clothes to wear!” He heard the mother answer, “Children, trust in G‑d. He’ll send Elijah the Prophet to bring you everything you need!”

Then the chassid knocked on the door. When the woman opened it, he asked if he could stay with them for the holiday. “How can I welcome you when I don’t have any food in the house?” she said. “Don’t worry,” he said, “I have enough food for all of us.” He came in, opened the box, gave the children the food, and they ate. Then he opened the other box and the children all took clothes for themselves: this one a shirt, that one a jacket, the other one a hat. He was there for two days, waiting to see Elijah the Prophet. He did not even sleep. How could he sleep? How often do you get a chance to see Elijah the Prophet? But he saw no one.

So he returned to the Baal Shem Tov and said, “Master, I did not see Elijah the Prophet!” “Did you do everything I told you?” asked the Baal Shem Tov. “I did!” he said. “And you didn’t see him?” “No, Rebbe.” “Are you sure?” “Yes, Rebbe! I didn’t see him!” “Then you’ll have to return for Yom Kippur,” said the Baal Shem Tov. “Go back before Yom Kippur, with a box of food, to the same house. Again, be sure to arrive an hour before sunset, and don’t knock immediately. Wait for a while and just stand in front of the door, listening.”
So he went back to Minsk before Yom Kippur. This time, he went earlier and stood in front of the door, listening. Inside he heard children crying, “Mommy, we’re hungry! We haven’t eaten the whole day! How can we fast for Yom Kippur?” “Children!” said the mother. “Do you remember you were crying before Rosh Hashanah that you had no food or clothes? And I told you, ‘Trust in G‑d! He’ll send Elijah the Prophet, who’ll bring you food and clothing and everything else you need!’ Wasn’t I right? Didn’t Elijah come and bring you food and clothing? He stayed with us for two days! Now you’re crying again that you’re hungry. I promise you that Elijah will come now, too, and bring you food!”

Then the chassid understood what his master, the Baal Shem Tov, had meant. And he knocked on the door.

Facebook link for those who have a login
Beautiful!

today I was praying that I could see the girl Leah who I'm in love with ( who rejected me ) in all people, that I would love them as much as I love her. Enjoy their company like it's hers and treat them like I would treat her.

For some reason your post reminded me of that and it's almost like it's a confirmation that I'm supposed to do that.

It also reminds me that I can be Jacob, my favorite old testament figure just like the man was Elijah.

Cool!:cool:

r2d2009

I want to discribe one of my first meditation...

67728313_2067054880269935_676301476166893568_n.jpg

LATIHAN. BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
When all the previous exercises have been mastered, we can proceed to the exercise called latihan.
The term latihan was introduced in the beginning of the 20th century by a Sufi named Bapak Mohammad Subuh [20], who used this word to denote one of the ways of communicating with the Holy Spirit. He visited many European countries, where he taught this method to Catholic monks and healed with its help many ill people, including those suffering from cancer.
In this technique, one addresses the Holy Spirit for help and asks Him to concentrate above the head (one has to become aware of Him there) and then to “shower” Himself down through the entire body as through a transparent glass cylinder. This will be a true baptism in the Holy Spirit.
In this way comes the healing of the body.
The body, having surrendered to this Stream flowing through it, starts dancing and performing other smooth and harmonious movements… This phenomenon is a variation of Laya Yoga — a set of methods of “dissolving” oneself in Divine Streams as well as in static states of the Divine Consciousness.
In fact, this is very simple if we really believe, if we really love Him and are willing to surrender to Him. And the Holy Spirit is always present everywhere as a sea of Light, including the space above our bodies — watching, loving, teaching, and… waiting for when we finally pay attention to Him with love and ask Him for help…
If we have prepared ourselves with the help of all the previous exercises, including Awakening — we will succeed in doing this one right away. If not — we may try to imagine ourselves… in paradise, under a heavenly waterfall, immersed in the tender sunlight, aroma of flowers, singing of birds… A cascade of heavenly water is falling down through the body, purifying the soul and making it worthy of paradise…
In order for the laya dance (the dance of “dissolution”) to start, being guided by the Holy Spirit, we should stand on tip-toes and raise the hands; the clothes must be light and loose — so that we almost do not feel them…
After the dance, it will be good to have a rest in a relaxation posture.

http://ecopsychology.swami-center.org/latihan-holy-spirit.shtml

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I want to discribe one of my first meditation...

67728313_2067054880269935_676301476166893568_n.jpg

LATIHAN. BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
When all the previous exercises have been mastered, we can proceed to the exercise called latihan.
The term latihan was introduced in the beginning of the 20th century by a Sufi named Bapak Mohammad Subuh [20], who used this word to denote one of the ways of communicating with the Holy Spirit. He visited many European countries, where he taught this method to Catholic monks and healed with its help many ill people, including those suffering from cancer.
In this technique, one addresses the Holy Spirit for help and asks Him to concentrate above the head (one has to become aware of Him there) and then to “shower” Himself down through the entire body as through a transparent glass cylinder. This will be a true baptism in the Holy Spirit.
In this way comes the healing of the body.
The body, having surrendered to this Stream flowing through it, starts dancing and performing other smooth and harmonious movements… This phenomenon is a variation of Laya Yoga — a set of methods of “dissolving” oneself in Divine Streams as well as in static states of the Divine Consciousness.
In fact, this is very simple if we really believe, if we really love Him and are willing to surrender to Him. And the Holy Spirit is always present everywhere as a sea of Light, including the space above our bodies — watching, loving, teaching, and… waiting for when we finally pay attention to Him with love and ask Him for help…
If we have prepared ourselves with the help of all the previous exercises, including Awakening — we will succeed in doing this one right away. If not — we may try to imagine ourselves… in paradise, under a heavenly waterfall, immersed in the tender sunlight, aroma of flowers, singing of birds… A cascade of heavenly water is falling down through the body, purifying the soul and making it worthy of paradise…
In order for the laya dance (the dance of “dissolution”) to start, being guided by the Holy Spirit, we should stand on tip-toes and raise the hands; the clothes must be light and loose — so that we almost do not feel them…
After the dance, it will be good to have a rest in a relaxation posture.

http://ecopsychology.swami-center.org/latihan-holy-spirit.shtml
Beautiful! :)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

God bless!

Nice thread!

I mainly meditate on equanimity - have been doing various meditations for over 30 years and that keeps me from being an absolute basket-case :)

I also work on letting go of expectations - a LOT easier said than done in a crazy world like this ...

Here is one site I am fond of -

Using Mindfulness to Manage Your Expectations - Mindful

Wishing you all the best!

:)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not really sure I have "religious practices" or "spiritual practices."

I meditate regularly (and sometimes even irregularly).
I burn sandalwood incense in my home (or like now, in my hotel room).
I post on and moderate a religious forum.
I do my best to live virtuously.
I work.
I play.
I eat.
I dream.
I sleep.

But to me, it's just a regular part of my life. I don't distinguish a religious or spiritual practice from my everyday life. What part of these would you consider spiritual or religious practices?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you put the kebabs in the glass of liquor and use that as a visual focal point?
Put kebab and liquor in the stomach and then meditate. We have a saying in Hindi (Sage Tulsidas - Rama Charit Manas):

"Bhukhe bhajan na hoye Gopālā, le le apni kanthi mālā"

(It is not possible to concentrate with an empty stomach, O Krishna (Gopala), (and if you so decide - not to give me food, then) take back the Tulsi necklace (of Holy Basil wood) that I wear and my chanting beads which I have for your worship) :D

Last edited:

steveb1

snipped

God bless!

My own faith - Jodo Shinshu/Shin Buddhism - has no meditation or other "self-effort" practices.

Instead, it only has an expression of gratitude to Amitabha Buddha, an expression called the Nembutsu - "Namo Amida Butsu" / "I give thanks to, and take refuge in, the Buddha".

The idea is that the Buddha saves us through his merit and grace out of compassion - because in this age of "Dharma decline", we can no longer attain Bodhi or Enlightenment through self-power methods.

So when Shin Buddhists recite (orally or mentally) the Nembutsu, they are not earning merit or Enlightenment - the Buddha does that for them. We are simply saying "Thank you" to Amitabha for his endless compassion.

r2d2009

69008717_2073671852941571_8784734216689549312_n.jpg

Pranayamas
One has to perform the bioenergetic purification both of the organism as a whole and of its separate segments corresponding with the chakras. There are a lot of purification techniques, and each of them allows one to get rid of the next portion of impurity, which means elimination of diseases, overall improvement of health, and getting closer to the Ultimate Goal.

Now I will describe a few general purifying exercises of pranayama type.

We perform them in standing position. First, bend slightly to the right so that the right arm hangs freely without touching the body. Try to feel the arm thoroughly from the shoulder joint to the wrist. Imagine that a pump chamber, to which “air”-light is being fed through the arm like through a hose, expands in the chest with every inhalation and contracts with every exhalation. Special attention should be paid to exhaling. Try to achieve a high clarity of sensations. The “hose” must be as thick as the arm, and nothing should prevent the “air”-light from moving freely through it.

Then we perform the same exercise with the left arm, and then with each leg. The “hose” must come down from the chest to each leg through the corresponding side of the body.

Place images of two big barrels under the feet. Let one barrel be empty and the other full of white liquid light. Touch this light with the foot-hose and pump it through the body-pump into the other barrel. With each inhaling, the pump chamber inside the body and the head is expanding, drawing the light from the full barrel through the leg. With each exhaling, the chamber is contracting; the light pouring out through the other leg into the empty barrel. Thus we cleanse the whole body from inside.

When the barrel with light gets empty — fill it up again and overturn the content of the other barrel into an image of fire, so that all dirt that has streamed out burns. Turn the body around over the barrels — and repeat the exercise with another half of the body.

Then do the same, but this time placing the barrels under the hands.

In this way, we have to attain a feeling that the whole body is filled up with bright white light.

After performing pranayamas, we have to rest in one of the relaxation asanas.

-------------------------------------

Pranayamas

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I did all but never encountered the white light or the 'chakras'. This is a blurb to attract Western audience and not true. This market Yoga. IMHO, Pranayam is regular deep breathing while trying to ignore the monkey brain. Samadhi itself is so peaceful, one does not need any further exercises to cool down. You return refreshed.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
My non-religious tantra-yoga practices are (not quite complete, you don't have to give up your religion (or your atheism) in order to practise them):

* Use of water:
cold water after toilet used on private parts

* Circumcision of males or full withdrawal of the foreskin in combination with tight underwear

* No cutting of joint hair or pubic hair

* Males wear special tight underwear (laungota) for easier mind control

* Cold half baths before meals, sleep and meditations

* Full bath at least once a day, cool or cold.

* Sattvic (sentient or yogic) diet

* Upavasa, regular fasting without food or drink on 4 special days a month

* Sadhana, the conscious effort to attain spiritual enlightenment (Astaunga Yoga or eight-fold path practised at least twice daily)

* Madhuvidya (sweet knowledge or Guru mantra), performed before sleeping, eating, meditation, bathings and serving others

* Sarvatmaka Shaoca - allround cleanliness of body, clothes and surroundings

* Tapah - Selfless Service:
Bhuta Yajina: to created world (animals, plants, inanimate world),
Pitr Yajina: to ancestors, inventors.
Nr Yajina: to humanity (intelectual, financial, spiritual, physical or by courage).
Adhyatma Yajina: spiritual service (internal form of service throughout the day).

* Svadyaya - studying of spiritual scriptures or attending spiritual lectures

* Asanas (innercises) - yoga postures

* Pashas and Ripus – Individuals acquire eight pa’shas (bondages) as they interact with the world around them. These bondages are shame, fear, doubt, hatred, pride of decent, pride of culture, egoistic feeling, and hypocrisy. There are also six internal bondages, which are physical desire, anger, greed, attachment, pride, and envy. To control the internal bondages, Sadhana is used and Yama and Niyama are used to control the societal bondages.

* Kiirtan - special spiritual dance and singing of universal mantra done before sadhana

* Paincajanya - kiirtan and meditation every morning at 5 o'clock

* Guru Sakasha (near the Guru), remembering him at awakening in the early morning

* Ista - the chosen personal ideal of the Absolute is honoured and protected in the form of the Guru

* Adarsha - practising (following) and protecting the ideology

* Conduct Rules: Yama/Niyama, 15 Shila's (social conduct rules), Supreme Command etc.

* Dharmacakra - attending collective meditation sessions weekly

* Attending seasonal collective spiritual retreats

* Dancing kiirtana, tandava and kaoshikii daily.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm not really sure I have "religious practices" or "spiritual practices."

I meditate regularly (and sometimes even irregularly).
I burn sandalwood incense in my home (or like now, in my hotel room).
I post on and moderate a religious forum.
I do my best to live virtuously.
I work.
I play.
I eat.
I dream.
I sleep.

But to me, it's just a regular part of my life. I don't distinguish a religious or spiritual practice from my everyday life. What part of these would you consider spiritual or religious practices?
Those can all be Spiritual practices