• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe Your Atheism in One Word.

I know that there are different kinds of Atheists, (Free thinkers, Humanists, Rationalists) that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is can you describe the nature of your Atheism (Esoteric, Utopian, Enlightened, etc.). I just thought it would be fun. :)

None of those six qualifiers have anything to do with whether or not you believe in a deity or not.

There are no types or different ways to not believe something.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I know that there are different kinds of Atheists, (Free thinkers, Humanists, Rationalists) that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is can you describe the nature of your Atheism (Esoteric, Utopian, Enlightened, etc.). I just thought it would be fun. :)
Alienating.

I find myself mentally distancing from people when I find out that they're theists. Belief in gods gets in the way of me relating to people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
"Emergent"
Several of the other words people have posted would also apply to me.
I didn't just decide one day to be an atheist. I was raised in a solid religious family. But over the course of my young years I came to understand, better and better, that religion is mostly modern versions of ancient fiction. Of course, at that time I didn't realize that any religions were not of the "revealed" sort. I thought of them all as picking some implausible story from the olden days and believing in it the way little kids believe in Santa Claus.

The earliest memory I have of serious questioning was the first day of second grade. The imposing nun who was our teacher put a large glass jar on her desk. She let us know that she expected us to fill it with small change for starving pagan babies in Africa. The first thing that popped into my head was "How much is Jesus putting in there?" It spilled out of my mouth. The answer was unsatisfactory to me. I started realizing that adults don't know everything and cannot be trusted to give good answers when the subject is God. And that's because they don't know either, they make it up as they go and always have.
Tom

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Godless.
I always wondered at people who used the phrase 'Godless atheist' as its pretty redundant. But pretty much all the atheism label means to be is that I don't believe in a god.

Now materialism, that's a whole other kettle of worms.