• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Descendants of Canaan....cursed by God

outhouse

Atheistically
The goal isn't to prove they didn't exist it's to prove that they did outside of the biblical narratives.

William Dever is one of the top archeologist on these subjects.

Biased apologist will always think what they want and believe mythology to be real, no matter how solid the work, and no matter how qualified the education and knowledge is surrounding the lack of historicity.

People who did not use reason or knowledge to gain their position, will often not use it for matters of history

outhouse

Atheistically
You can find anything on the Internet.

Anybody can say anything on the Internet and/or a book.

Just because someone says something in a book doesn't make it true.

Use some critical thinking.

There is absolutely no way you can prove that Avraham and/or Moses didn't exist.

I'm sure you can find somewhere in a book where UFOs are in the White House. It doesn't mean it's true.

Appealing to ignorance, is not how we determine history :slap:

outhouse

Atheistically
Since im falsely accused of overstepping historicity, I mean cultural bias.

Lets focus on Abrahams lack of historicity and lack of credibility as the founder of monotheism :biglaugh:

As it will show a pattern of literary fabrication of Israelites early history like the mythical conquest.

Abraham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

archaeologists had "given up hope of recovering any context that would make Abraham, Isaac or Jacob credible 'historical figures'".
  1. Dever 2002, p. 98 and fn.2.
progress.gif

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Did Abraham exist? I haven't a clue, nor does any archaeologist worth his/her salt. When we dealing with archaeology that far back, there is almost nothing we can say that is definite one way or another. Maybe he did, may be he didn't, but so what? Same thing with our friend Moshe. Like Joseph Campbell often said, "the myth* became the reality".

Archaeology is an ongoing process largely devoid of definites. Therefore, we almost never say "proved", instead preferring words such as "According to the evidence we've uncovered, ___ may have/have not occurred".

* "myth" does not mean falsehood, used in the context Campbell put it in, it is viewed as a narrative that teaches morals and values, whereas its value is not dependent on whether it is historically accurate.

Last edited:

CynthiaCypher

Did Abraham exist? I haven't a clue, nor does any archaeologist worth his/her salt.

I don't know either but Jews, Samaritans and Arabs do share a common genetic ancestor. It might not be provable by archaeology that they do, but the genetic studies say they do. And the Y does not lie.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know either but Jews, Samaritans and Arabs do share a common genetic ancestor. It might not be provable by archaeology that they do, but the genetic studies say they do. And the Y does not lie.

Yes, of course. Matter of fact, the group that we are most closely related to are the "Palestinians", which in turn are very closely related to the Syrians.

CMike

You can't really prove anything.

You can't prove whether Moses or Abraham existed or didn't exist.

You can't prove how the jews worshipped.

I believe the Torah and other jewish scriptures that was written thousands of years ago.

outhouse

Atheistically
"the myth* became the reality".

And that is how I look at the first five books.

it is viewed as a narrative that teaches morals and values

Agreed whole hearted.

our friend Moshe

Did Abraham exist?

Archeology has quit looking for these figures for a reason. The conclusion is they have no historicity what so ever as written.

We also know they are literary products of specific time periods that do not reflect the history they describe.

But getting us back to the OP, all archeological evidence points 100% against any conquest of Canaan. If you choose to word it that way.

FranklinMichaelV.3

You can't really prove anything.

You can't prove whether Moses or Abraham existed or didn't exist.

You can't prove how the jews worshipped.

I believe the Torah and other jewish scriptures that was written thousands of years ago.

You don't need to prove they don't exist that's not really how the process would work. That's like me asking you to prove there isn't a giant teacup located somewhere in space.

What you look for is evidence of their existence as written. So while Abraham and Moses may have existed did they exist in the capacity tht they are written.

CMike

And that is how I look at the first five books.

Agreed whole hearted.

Archeology has quit looking for these figures for a reason. The conclusion is they have no historicity what so ever as written.

We also know they are literary products of specific time periods that do not reflect the history they describe.

But getting us back to the OP, all archeological evidence points 100% against any conquest of Canaan. If you choose to word it that way.

That alone makes what you say suspect. 100% never believes anything.

There is no actual real archeological evidence. They are guesses based on small pieces of a gigantic puzzle.

outhouse

Atheistically
What you look for is evidence of their existence as written. So while Abraham and Moses may have existed did they exist in the capacity tht they are written.

Children grow up believing in Santa, and the Easter bunny and Tooth fairy.

Even my 7 year old daughter who is not fooled by religion or mythical deities, believes in this modern mythology and the characters the mythology employs.

And as I now understand it, some archeologist wont even try and prove them wrong LOL

CMike

Children grow up believing in Santa, and the Easter bunny and Tooth fairy.

Even my 7 year old daughter who is not fooled by religion or mythical deities, believes in this modern mythology and the characters the mythology employs.

And as I now understand it, some archeologist wont even try and prove them wrong LOL

:facepalm: