• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Descendants of Canaan....cursed by God

outhouse

Atheistically
thus cloaking potential conclusions so that if we're wrong that we don't come out looking like idiots.

They did not come out of a vacuum, and the cat has been out of the bag for quite some time.

They came from somewhere. And where is as obvious as a thorn in the lions paw.

If you have noticed, no one is really working on the Ethnogenesis like they were, and people like Avraham Faust bias is obvious.

Redford has been completely refuted as well.

Time to ask, does anyone have the courage to states they were not Canaanites?

CMike

The Sumerian and Babylonian source, had more impact on later Israelite scripture then most realize. But I think the multi cultural nature of these proto Israelites plays a much bigger role, in your mystery then the more established cultures of Mesopotamia.

I would never discount who made up the displaced Canaanites. There were many civilizations going through rough times. But what we have is the collapse of the Canaanite culture's and within 50 years proto Israelites slowly settling the highlands of what would be Israel.

The religion of early Israelites did evolve from the Canaanite culture. There is no doubt at all. These are fairly recent game changing discoveries.

And here we have Canaanites worshipping the same exact gods of Israelites.

In the same exact way, a family of gods.

Here is the Canaanite pottery and foundations

Wow. Wikipedia. The heavy guns.:facepalm:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Sumerian and Babylonian source, had more impact on later Israelite scripture then most realize. But I think the multi cultural nature of these proto Israelites plays a much bigger role, in your mystery then the more established cultures of Mesopotamia.

I would never discount who made up the displaced Canaanites. There were many civilizations going through rough times. But what we have is the collapse of the Canaanite culture's and within 50 years proto Israelites slowly settling the highlands of what would be Israel.

The religion of early Israelites did evolve from the Canaanite culture. There is no doubt at all. These are fairly recent game changing discoveries.

And here we have Canaanites worshipping the same exact gods of Israelites.

In the same exact way, a family of gods.

Here is the Canaanite pottery and foundations

Yes. In my introductory anthropology course, I spent almost two weeks covering the transition from a neolithic village called Jarmo, gradually the evolution to the formation of a civilization called Sumer, eventually getting into the Babylonian empire. When I covered the Sumerian religion, one can easily see the influence that this would have on the people of the area that surrounded it, and we see this being played out in many different ways, including the names of their gods, many, but not all, of which became use in Judaism.

But what we don't know is exactly when we made the transition from polytheism to monotheism, and some turn to Abraham's conversion for evidence, but that's shaky to say the least when we consider this objectively. However, it might be an acknowledgement that we made such a move even if the narrative is largely conjectural.

outhouse

Atheistically
But what we don't know is exactly when we made the transition from polytheism to monotheism,

Its quite well known actually.

We king Josiah had monotheistic reforms after 622 BC as he was a loyal Yahwist.

Even then the OT is ripe with verses stating not everyone was on board.

The switch to monotheism while made with king Josiah as a natinal religion, it did not take with the people for quite some time.

and some turn to Abraham's conversion for evidence

Abrham is said to be a literary creation, and no credible scholar states differently.

, but that's shaky to say the least when we consider this objectively.

It is only considered by apologetically inclined people looking to tie history to mythology at any means possile.

outhouse

Atheistically
When you can explain Canaanite religion, Canaanite alphabet, and Canaanite pottery, and Canaanite geography.

I am all ears.

Until then Faust and his bias stay buried, and Dever, Finkelstein, Silberman, McNutt and the many others view IS the status quo.

The thing is, no one has been able to refute anything that removes the Canaanite heritage.

To date, there was no conquest, factually there was a peaceful slow migration to the highlands by what appears to be for the most part displaced Canaanites.

CMike

When you can explain Canaanite religion, Canaanite alphabet, and Canaanite pottery, and Canaanite geography.

I am all ears.

Until then Faust and his bias stay buried, and Dever, Finkelstein, Silberman, McNutt and the many others view IS the status quo.

The thing is, no one has been able to refute anything that removes the Canaanite heritage.

To date, there was no conquest, factually there was a peaceful slow migration to the highlands by what appears to be for the most part displaced Canaanites.

Of course. Finkelface said it so it must be true.

The jews worshipped one G-D. It's the G-D that took the jews out of Egypt. They did not worship multiple gods, unless they want off the wagon somewhere.

Try using some critical thinking. Just because Wikipedia says it or some "professor" somewhere proclaims it doesn't make what they say true.

CMike

The switch to monotheism while made with king Josiah as a natinal religion, it did not take with the people for quite some time.

Abrham is said to be a literary creation, and no credible scholar states differently.

It is only considered by apologetically inclined people looking to tie history to mythology at any means possile.

What's the OT?

outhouse

Atheistically
The key word here is MANY SCHOLARS, There was NO conquest.

NOVA | Archeology of the Hebrew Bible

The settlements were founded not on the ruins of destroyed Canaanite towns but rather on bedrock or on virgin soil. There was no evidence of armed conflict in most of these sites.

Archeologists also have discovered that most of the large Canaanite towns that were supposedly destroyed by invading Israelites were either not destroyed at all or destroyed by "Sea People"—Philistines, or others.

So gradually the old conquest model [based on the accounts of Joshua's conquests in the Bible] began to lose favor amongst scholars.

Many scholars now think that most of the early Israelites were originally Canaanites, displaced Canaanites, displaced from the lowlands, from the river valleys, displaced geographically and then displaced ideologically.

And it begins a slow process in which the Israelites distinguish themselves from their Canaanite ancestors,

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Sorry, but you're again overstating your case, which does tend to diminish what you're saying since caution is much more logical than certainty in this arena.

CMike

Monotheism started with Avraham. In fact, he was imprisoned for preaching it.

It then continued onwards and has been the cornerstone of Judaism.

outhouse

Atheistically
Sorry, but you're again overstating your case, which does tend to diminish what you're saying since caution is much more logical than certainty in this arena.

I would ask for sources my friend, that show differently.

I think Karen Armstrong says it well with her History of God.

Ive only been able to pick a part small errors.

The polytheism/henotheism of early Israelites is not up for debate.

Your welcome to let me know where you think I have overstepped my case though. I like apeaceful debate as I look up aspects and earn more.

CMike

I would ask for sources my friend, that show differently.

I think Karen Armstrong says it well with her History of God.

Ive only been able to pick a part small errors.

The polytheism/henotheism of early Israelites is not up for debate.

Your welcome to let me know where you think I have overstepped my case though. I like apeaceful debate as I look up aspects and earn more.
You are right it's not up for debate. The jews were monotheists.

Wow, Karen Armstrong says it too. Shiver my timbers. :drool::facepalm::eek:

Just because someone says something in a book doesn't make it true.

outhouse

Atheistically
Since im falsely accused of overstepping historicity, I mean cultural bias.

Lets focus on Abrahams lack of historicity and lack of credibility as the founder of monotheism :biglaugh:

As it will show a pattern of literary fabrication of Israelites early history like the mythical conquest.

Abraham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

archaeologists had "given up hope of recovering any context that would make Abraham, Isaac or Jacob credible 'historical figures'".
  1. Dever 2002, p. 98 and fn.2.

CMike

Since im falsely accused of overstepping historicity, I mean cultural bias.

Lets focus on Abrahams lack of historicity and lack of credibility as the founder of monotheism :biglaugh:

As it will show a pattern of literary fabrication of Israelites early history like the mythical conquest.

Abraham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

archaeologists had "given up hope of recovering any context that would make Abraham, Isaac or Jacob credible 'historical figures'".
  1. Dever 2002, p. 98 and fn.2.

Wikipedia again.:shrug::facepalm:

CMike

You can find anything on the Internet.

Anybody can say anything on the Internet and/or a book.

Use some critical thinking.

There is absolutely no way you can prove that Avraham and/or Moses didn't exist.

I'm sure you can find somewhere in a book where UFOs are in the White House. It doesn't mean it's true.

FranklinMichaelV.3

You can find anything on the Internet.

Anybody can say anything on the Internet and/or a book.

Use some critical thinking.

There is absolutely no way you can prove that Avraham and/or Moses didn't exist.

I'm sure you can find somewhere in a book where UFOs are in the White House. It doesn't mean it's true.

The goal isn't to prove they didn't exist it's to prove that they did outside of the biblical narratives.