• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Descendant of Charles Darwin becomes a Catholic apologist

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
<snip>

She writes: “If atheism’s claim to the intellectual high ground is bolstered by my ancestor’s characteristic ability to explore and analyse inconsistencies in the evidence, that same family characteristic led me towards a sceptical assessment of what can and can’t be known absolutely.”

Keynes also describes how her decision was received by loved ones.
“That I freely chose to be a Catholic after much thought and analysis, and wasn’t brainwashed into it, baffle my friends and family alike,” she writes. “I overheard one comment: ‘But she seemed like such an intelligent girl.’ So when people ask ‘A Darwin and a Catholic?’ what they’re saying is that I confound expectations.”

<snip>

Descendant of Charles Darwin becomes a Catholic apologist | CatholicHerald.co.uk

Me Myself

Back to my username
I cant see why someone should be surprised a Darwin descendant be catholic. A good time has passed now since the catholic church said they had nothing against evolution.

Most people in Ecuador are Catholic and also know about evolution. I would assume such is the circumstance of most catholics, or would I be wrong?

Quiddity

I cant see why someone should be surprised a Darwin descendant be catholic. A good time has passed now since the catholic church said they had nothing against evolution.

Most people in Ecuador are Catholic and also know about evolution. I would assume such is the circumstance of most catholics, or would I be wrong?

You still have a good number of them that like to press the whole evolution thing but they are a minority now. The most impressive thing to me is that she came from a skeptic pedigree; and a philosophical one at that. That path is not taken by many and requires far more thought.

Sultan Of Swing

One look at that page's comments section seems to suggest that the Catholic opinion on evolution isn't exactly consensus.

Quiddity said:
You still have a good number of them that like to press the whole evolution thing but they are a minority now. The most impressive thing to me is that she came from a skeptic pedigree; and a philosophical one at that. That path is not taken by many and requires far more thought.

Tis quite impressive, yes. Though technically, isn't she a Catholic revert rather than a skeptic who discovered the faith?

Quiddity

Tis quite impressive, yes. Though technically, isn't she a Catholic revert rather than a skeptic who discovered the faith?

Technically yes. However, I'm personally hesitant to deem them reverts when they hardly knew anything about Catholicism to begin with. She was an infant, what could she know? Besides, if I wanted to be a detail Nazi, a revert means to return to a previous state. Well, she was never in any cognitive state to begin with and this is an entirely new state for her, so therefore, she is not a revert. :D

Me Myself

Back to my username
One look at that page's comments section seems to suggest that the Catholic opinion on evolution isn't exactly consensus.

I would assume most of the non consensus come from US. Would I be wrong? :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh...bravo to anyone who uses their brain, considers their decision, and then is willing to articulate it when faced with discontent.