• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depersonalization/Derealization

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
""Derealization and depersonalization refer to feelings that the external world and your own self, respectively, are unreal. Lumping the terms together, psychiatrists define depersonalization/derealization disorder as “persistent or recurrent … experiences of unreality, detachment, or being an outside observer with respect to one’s thoughts, feelings, sensations, body, or actions,” according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. For simplicity, I’ll refer to both syndromes as derealization.""

When Things Feel Unreal, Is That a Delusion or an Insight?

Have you experienced an episode or episodes of this? I have certainly had it happen a few times. And I tend to try to use them as a reminder to take a break, and destress myself (I'm prone to these due to stressful events).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
""Derealization and depersonalization refer to feelings that the external world and your own self, respectively, are unreal. Lumping the terms together, psychiatrists define depersonalization/derealization disorder as “persistent or recurrent … experiences of unreality, detachment, or being an outside observer with respect to one’s thoughts, feelings, sensations, body, or actions,” according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. For simplicity, I’ll refer to both syndromes as derealization.""

Have you experienced an episode or episodes of this? I have certainly had it happen a few times. And I tend to try to use them as a reminder to take a break, and destress myself (I'm prone to these due to stressful events).

Yes, without going into details i got myself into a situation i couldn't escape. One way to live from day to day was by delusion, imagining it wasn't me by living a dream.

Psalm23

I felt this way before where I am feeling like I'm observing myself and feel somewhat detached from myself. It has been a strange and uncomfortable feeling for me.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Yes, I believe so. It's a feeling of sort of coming back into myself and feeling ungrounded, like things are unreal and I've previously been observing myself and not experiencing.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yes, without going into details i got myself into a situation i couldn't escape. One way to live from day to day was by delusion, imagining it wasn't me by living a dream.
I've felt this exact thing on and off for the last three or four years. I'm not entirely convinced my life is a "fiction" but sometimes I convince myself that it is, and I presume it's a coping mechanism that will convince me that all this pain is happening for a reason and it'll lead up to something.

Erebus

Yup, pretty frequently.

I find that making the conscious decision to touch something solid can help ease it a bit. That could be putting my hand on my chest or on a wall for example. I might also sit and stroke my dog for a while.