• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Departures from mainstream Islamic thought?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
What do you think is the law of God in this instance - violence?

as a muslim i am certain that you accept that nothing happens unless Allah wills it right. so even if you made a non-violent non-cooperation against the invaders, it still proves your point wrong because look God allowed those people to come and kill you. so my first question stands

who gets to decide what is Gods law and what isn't Gods law, you or God?

you are a bahai follower, so you believe messages of Krishna and Buddha became corrupted?

Actually, no, I'm not really a Baha'i in complete and utter belief. But I do believe that Buddha and Krishna are Manifestations of God, but that Their Message was that of a single Divine Reality.

I am not sure that Scriptures can corrupt so easily... however, I do see that all religious Scriptures to be taken on a spiritual or metaphorical platform rather than literally.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
who gets to decide what is Gods law and what isn't Gods law, you or God?
You are of course saying that what is written in the Quran alone is God's law. That is your belief and you have a right to believe so. But what about those who do not believe that Quran is the word of God or at least the Quran is not the only word of God? I suppose in this sense it is man who decides on what is God's law and what is not.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
You are of course saying that what is written in the Quran alone is God's law. That is your belief and you have a right to believe so. But what about those who do not believe that Quran is the word of God or at least the Quran is not the only word of God? I suppose in this sense it is man who decides on what is God's law and what is not.

in the sense that you are talking, my answer is that eveyone is responsible for their own decision even though man is subject to making a wrong decision.

however, my question was not speaking of this situation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
as a muslim i am certain that you accept that nothing happens unless Allah wills it right.

Surely there are some exceptions or at least limitations? Because otherwise there would be no need to ever defend anything.

Starsoul

Truth
For the purpose of this discussion I accept that the Prophet (pbuh) is the seal of the prophets.
What I'm wondering is more along the lines of :-
Take me as an example. I find much that appeals to me in Islam, particularly how Muslims think of Allah.
On the other hand (and I mean no offence here but I want to explain my own thinking in order that you might address it) there are things in Islam that I couldn't adhere to.
For example, Islam seems overly rule-bound and strict to me. My attidudes are very liberal and on many subjects incompatible with Islam (e.g. regarding homosexuality).
I can't imagine myself ever praying 5 times a day and certainly not in Arabic.

I was wondering the other night if anyone with a world view like mine has ever taken a 'pick and mix' approach to Islam? One that would use the native language, be liberal etc etc?

Maybe you underestimate yourself? I can understand that it may look a bit strict to somebody from the outside, and after having been quite used to a certain lifestyle that we all have, we really think that its going to be really hard to offer a 3 minutes prayer 5 times a day, but in reality it isn't quite hard. Specially, if that 3 or 5 minute prayer refreshes you and recharges you, and its something that you look forward to, instead of something that comes across as burdening.

Prayer makes you light, and makes you forget all your worries and every time we pray, it washes away all our small sins, it just feels so lighter that people who pray regularly, just cant live without it. When i was a younger student , and used to have exams and lots to study, i would sometime get to thinking (courtesy satan :p) that ahh its going to take me so much time to pray (5-6 mins) i might loose out on sometime to study, but then i used to shake it off and drag myself to prayer ,and Alhamdulilah, Allah SWT triples your focus, and your blessings, and makes it easier for you to study and pray and make both ends meet :D (And get good grades, so its all good ).

On the other hand, when I have been unfortunate enough to offer prayers, it I who gets to loose, my day is a lazy drag, things go wrong, and you feel so irritable :s . And its not like you'll have to start all 5 prayers from day one, one can start by one prayer a day, fixed for a specific time for several weeks or a month, and then when that prayer is perfected, one can extend it to two prayers a day, and then so on. One can start with the evening prayer, maghrib which is right after the sun completely sets , and its a really small prayer. Best of Luck : )

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
in the sense that you are talking, my answer is that eveyone is responsible for their own decision even though man is subject to making a wrong decision.

however, my question was not speaking of this situation.
If, as you said earlier, nothing happens unless Allah wills it - then how is man responsible for making a "wrong" decision?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
If, as you said earlier, nothing happens unless Allah wills it - then how is man responsible for making a "wrong" decision?

If God says that one will become a muslim if he asks me for guidance and one will not become a muslim if he doesn't ask me for guidance, then Allah has willed what will happen if you make either of those decisions. thus You are free to make your choice and God has willed what will happen.

humans do have free will to make their own choices, however, free will should not be mistaken for the pre-destined dercree from God.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Maybe you underestimate yourself? I can understand that it may look a bit strict to somebody from the outside, and after having been quite used to a certain lifestyle that we all have, we really think that its going to be really hard to offer a 3 minutes prayer 5 times a day, but in reality it isn't quite hard. Specially, if that 3 or 5 minute prayer refreshes you and recharges you, and its something that you look forward to, instead of something that comes across as burdening.

Prayer makes you light, and makes you forget all your worries and every time we pray, it washes away all our small sins, it just feels so lighter that people who pray regularly, just cant live without it. When i was a younger student , and used to have exams and lots to study, i would sometime get to thinking (courtesy satan :p) that ahh its going to take me so much time to pray (5-6 mins) i might loose out on sometime to study, but then i used to shake it off and drag myself to prayer ,and Alhamdulilah, Allah SWT triples your focus, and your blessings, and makes it easier for you to study and pray and make both ends meet :D (And get good grades, so its all good ).

On the other hand, when I have been unfortunate enough to offer prayers, it I who gets to loose, my day is a lazy drag, things go wrong, and you feel so irritable :s . And its not like you'll have to start all 5 prayers from day one, one can start by one prayer a day, fixed for a specific time for several weeks or a month, and then when that prayer is perfected, one can extend it to two prayers a day, and then so on. One can start with the evening prayer, maghrib which is right after the sun completely sets , and its a really small prayer. Best of Luck : )

very good post sister.

who gets to say which of gods laws are to be followed and which are to not be followed, you or god?

EDIT: so how can one be islamic if one does unislamic stuff like dancing and singing etc?

Singing, dancing, etc. have always been Islamic to me, if done for God.

Otherwise the people of Medina wouldn't have sung Tala'al Badru 'Alayna upon the coming of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon Him.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Singing, dancing, etc. have always been Islamic to me, if done for God.

Otherwise the people of Medina wouldn't have sung Tala'al Badru 'Alayna upon the coming of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon Him.

songs which do not contradict islamic teachings are permited, what is not permited in a song is music, bad words, discrimination etc. same goes for dancing, but since chisti was speaking about being 'liberal' i took it as though he was reffering to western singing and dancing.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Surely there are some exceptions or at least limitations? Because otherwise there would be no need to ever defend anything.

does the following answer your question (sorry i missed this):

If God says that one will become a muslim if he asks me for guidance and one will not become a muslim if he doesn't ask me for guidance, then Allah has willed what will happen if you make either of those decisions. thus You are free to make your choice and God has willed what will happen.

humans do have free will to make their own choices, however, free will should not be mistaken for the pre-destined dercree from God.

A-ManESL

Has anyone apart from the Baha'i faith ever started from Islam and evolved into a religion that is Islamic but not mainstream?

I think that firstly a true understanding of the word "religion" is required so that the answer becomes clear. The Truth is One, the Shariats are many. Stephenw if you have time read the divine guidance chapter from this book here.

Regards