• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deobandi

sooda

Veteran Member
The Deobandi movement developed as a reaction to the British colonialism which was seen by a group of Indian scholars — consisting of Rashid Ahmad Gangohi, Muhammad Yaqub Nanautawi, Shah Rafi al-Din, Sayyid Muhammad Abid, Zulfiqar Ali, Fadhl al-Rahman Usmani and Muhammad Qasim Nanotvi — to be corrupting Islam.

The group founded an Islamic seminary known as Darul Uloom Deoband,[6] where the Islamic revivalist and anti-imperialist ideology of the Deobandis began to develop.[7] In time, the Darul Uloom Deoband became the second largest focal point of Islamic teaching and research after the Al-Azhar University, Cairo. Through the organisations such as Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind and Tablighi Jamaat, the Deobandi ideology began to spread.

Towards the time of the Indian independence movement, the Deobandis advocated a notion of composite nationalism by which Hindus and Muslims were seen as one nation who were asked to be united in the struggle against the British.[8] In 1919, a large group of Deobandi scholars formed the political party Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind and opposed the partition of India.[8]

Deobandi scholar Maulana Syed Husain Ahmad Madani helped to spread these ideas through his text Muttahida Qaumiyat Aur Islam.[8] A minority group later dissented from this position and joined Muhammad Ali Jinnah's Muslim League, forming the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam in 1945.

Graduates of Darul Uloom Deoband in India from countries such as Saudi Arabia, South Africa, China and Malaysia opened thousands of madaaris throughout the world.

continued

Deobandi - Wikipedia

Ellen Brown

The Deobandi movement developed as a reaction to the British colonialism which was seen by a group of Indian scholars — consisting of Rashid Ahmad Gangohi, Muhammad Yaqub Nanautawi, Shah Rafi al-Din, Sayyid Muhammad Abid, Zulfiqar Ali, Fadhl al-Rahman Usmani and Muhammad Qasim Nanotvi — to be corrupting Islam.

The group founded an Islamic seminary known as Darul Uloom Deoband,[6] where the Islamic revivalist and anti-imperialist ideology of the Deobandis began to develop.[7] In time, the Darul Uloom Deoband became the second largest focal point of Islamic teaching and research after the Al-Azhar University, Cairo. Through the organisations such as Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind and Tablighi Jamaat, the Deobandi ideology began to spread.

Towards the time of the Indian independence movement, the Deobandis advocated a notion of composite nationalism by which Hindus and Muslims were seen as one nation who were asked to be united in the struggle against the British.[8] In 1919, a large group of Deobandi scholars formed the political party Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind and opposed the partition of India.[8]

Deobandi scholar Maulana Syed Husain Ahmad Madani helped to spread these ideas through his text Muttahida Qaumiyat Aur Islam.[8] A minority group later dissented from this position and joined Muhammad Ali Jinnah's Muslim League, forming the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam in 1945.

Graduates of Darul Uloom Deoband in India from countries such as Saudi Arabia, South Africa, China and Malaysia opened thousands of madaaris throughout the world.

continued

Deobandi - Wikipedia

Thank you. I know so little, almost nothing about Far Eastern History and culture. As to British Colonialism ... I sometimes wonder if it is the origin of some of the radicalism we see today?

sooda

Veteran Member
Thank you. I know so little, almost nothing about Far Eastern History and culture. As to British Colonialism ... I sometimes wonder if it is the origin of some of the radicalism we see today?

Absolutely it originated in anti-Colonialism... Look at Arab nationalism and which countries that comes from..

Ellen Brown

Absolutely it originated in anti-Colonialism... Look at Arab nationalism and which countries that comes from..

And, the history that I have been taught is fashioned in such a way as to be sympathetic to western interests. How convenient.

sooda

Veteran Member
And, the history that I have been taught is fashioned in such a way as to be sympathetic to western interests. How convenient.

Iran, Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Afghanistan have all had a great deal of turmoil over the past 60-70 years.

Colonialism causes nationalism and that's were you get Qubt, Al Banna, Muslim Brotherhood, Deobandi,
Boko Haram, al Qaeda, Hizb ut-Tahrir, al Shabaab etc..

Of course the internet pundits think they are all Wahhabi. …. but KSA is NOT nationalistic... and were never a colony.

Ellen Brown

Iran, Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Afghanistan have all had a great deal of turmoil over the past 60-70 years.

Colonialism causes nationalism and that's were you get Qubt, Al Banna, Muslim Brotherhood, Deobandi,
Boko Haram, al Qaeda, Hizb ut-Tahrir, al Shabaab etc..

Of course the internet pundits think they are all Wahhabi. …. but KSA is NOT nationalistic... and were never a colony.

KSA is a puzzlement to me. I have known College Students from there, both Sunni and Shia. I was once very observant, but now not so much. I've got a Saudi house guest coming in a few days, so will have to clean up my act. Yallah !!! My own estimate, right or wrong, is that the Saud family control everything. According to someone I knew from Al Khobar said that when oil was discovered there, the Sauds came in and took it. According to him, they had previously been Desert raiders. It goes on and on ...

sooda

Veteran Member
KSA is a puzzlement to me. I have known College Students from there, both Sunni and Shia. I was once very observant, but now not so much. I've got a Saudi house guest coming in a few days, so will have to clean up my act. Yallah !!! My own estimate, right or wrong, is that the Saud family control everything. According to someone I knew from Al Khobar said that when oil was discovered there, the Sauds came in and took it. According to him, they had previously been Desert raiders. It goes on and on ...

LOLOL.. He must be a sour grapes Shia.. That's not what happened at all.

sooda

Veteran Member
What, pray tell did happen? :)

Ibn Saud united the tribes between 1902 and 1924... The oil concession was granted the seven sisters in the mid 1930s

Ask that punk kid if he remembers when blindness was normal and most babies didn't live to their second birthday.

Ellen Brown

Ibn Saud united the tribes between 1902 and 1924... The oil concession was granted the seven sisters in the mid 1930s

Ask that punk kid if he remembers when blindness was normal and most babies didn't live to their second birthday.

:) If I remember correctly, oil was found in Iran in 1922. I thought that Saudi Arabia partnered with ARAMCO in the late 40s? Sorry, it was not my intention for offend you.

sooda

Veteran Member
:) If I remember correctly, oil was found in Iran in 1922. I thought that Saudi Arabia partnered with ARAMCO in the late 40s? Sorry, it was not my intention for offend you.

ARAMCO came out of the 7 Sisters.

Ibn Saud was a brilliant warrior turned statesman.. Really one of the most important men of the last century.

Shia babies ALL had malaria ...

Dammam No. 7, the first commercial oil well in Saudi Arabia, struck oil on March 3, 1938. Saudi Arabian oil was first discovered by the Americans in commercial quantities at Dammam oil well No. 7 in 1938 in what is now modern day Dhahran.

History of the oil industry in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_oil_industry_in_Saudi_Arabia

Ellen Brown

ARAMCO came out of the 7 Sisters.

Ibn Saud was a brilliant warrior turned statesman.. Really one of the most important men of the last century.

Shia babies ALL had malaria ...

Dammam No. 7, the first commercial oil well in Saudi Arabia, struck oil on March 3, 1938. Saudi Arabian oil was first discovered by the Americans in commercial quantities at Dammam oil well No. 7 in 1938 in what is now modern day Dhahran.

History of the oil industry in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_oil_industry_in_Saudi_Arabia

You seem to have some very strong feelings on this matter and the Sauds. I have no direct knowledge on Saudi Arabia, only what the western press says. I used to go to Gulfnews, and Arabnews, but haven't lately. I was going to PM you with all this but that is turned off in your profile.