1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver neighborhood votes against changing name from former mayor with KKK ties

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Stevicus, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Stapleton property owners vote against changing name of neighborhood bearing former KKK member's name

It was a rather lopsided vote, too.

There was a similar subdivision which recently changed its name from "Swastika Acres."

It is rather interesting that Denver's main airport was called Stapleton for decades, yet this person's KKK history is only coming out now?

2. MikeDwight

MikeDwight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Religion:
    Presbyterian
    How is it that the media is filled with California and New York's rich and powerful , actors and media, then vilified minority groups somehow don't appear with these persecution campaigns? 12 Years a Slave was an assassination attempt of every identification with the South of any background, Disney's Steamboat, to the Plantation, to an inarguable humane 'indentured servitude' and 'peculiar institution' that inarguably raised the humanity of that population alongside the rest of America and kept pace.

The Life-Appointed Chief Justice is definitely a Governmental Oppressive Force upon Minority views at the Federal Level. No one's passing laws on Clarence Thomas, people definitely understand this distinction of farce.

#2 MikeDwight, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  3. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,777
    Religion:
    None
    Maybe the residents just don't feel the need for the trouble and expense of a name change over something that doesn't matter any more?
    Perhaps they could just decide that their neighborhood is named after Edith Stapleton.
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
  4. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +42,947
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Thinking of Edith Bunker?
    Fixed.

Anyway, tis good to see some resisting the purge of history.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Stevicus

Stevicus Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    You mean Jean Stapleton, who played the role of "Dingbat"? That might be an idea.

6. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,777
    Religion:
    None
    Yes, my real point was the first part.

The latter part was just something that popped into my head just before I hit reply. If I'd thought about it for 3 seconds I'd have remembered more betterly. Jean Stapleton was an excellent person in many ways.
    Tom

7. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,222
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    That history isn't new. Only the awareness of the current public is what has changed. Happens with a lot of US history.