• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denomination Fixations

One thing that I've noticed about denominations is that they often seem to fixate on the one theological point or practice that makes them different, exaggerating it to such a degree that its significance borders on heresy.

I haven't experienced a lot of denominations, but off the top of my head I'm struck by the way:

1) Mormons emphasize the Book of Mormon all the time while seeming to ignore the Bible.
2) Pentecostals emphasize the gifts of the spirit way more than the Bible itself does.
3) Catholics and, to an even greater extent, Orthodox, are almost pagan when it comes to their veneration of saints.

Has anybody else noticed a tendency for denominations (nowadays, don't post obvious stuff like holy wars) to pointlessly set themselves apart from the rest of Christendom?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
One thing that I've noticed about denominations is that they often seem to fixate on the one theological point or practice that makes them different, exaggerating it to such a degree that its significance borders on heresy.

I haven't experienced a lot of denominations, but off the top of my head I'm struck by the way:

1) Mormons emphasize the Book of Mormon all the time while seeming to ignore the Bible.
2) Pentecostals emphasize the gifts of the spirit way more than the Bible itself does.
3) Catholics and, to an even greater extent, Orthodox, are almost pagan when it comes to their veneration of saints.

Has anybody else noticed a tendency for denominations (nowadays, don't post obvious stuff like holy wars) to pointlessly set themselves apart from the rest of Christendom?
I think you probably notice the emphasis on the Book of Mormon than someone who was raised LDS is. Since I've heard both the Bible and the Book of Mormon quoted all my life, I'm to the point where I can hardly remember which of the two books any given scripture comes from (i.e. if I hear the scripture without the reference). I know that in General Conference, the Bible is frequently referenced. And in Sunday School, two years out of every four are devoted to studying the Bible exclusively.

Regarding the question in your OP, though, I've noticed that Seventh Day Adventists seem to focus on observing a Saturday Sabbath pretty much to the exclusion of almost everything else. And Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be fixated on calling God "Jehovah." They almost never just say, "God." It's always "Jehovah God."

Tinkerpeach

I don’t think they do it to set themselves apart but rather it’s a group of people who believe the same way and a denomination forms.