• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denialism

Prometheus85

What causes people to reject the truth?

Evolution, climate change, the link between guns and violence, and in the most extreme cases some people deny economic inequality and racism. A new age of denialism is upon us and why are we failing to counter it?

Altfish

Veteran Member

Evolution, climate change, the link between guns and violence, and in the most extreme cases some people deny economic inequality and racism. A new age of denialism is upon us and why are we failing to counter it?
Indoctranation and staying within The Bubble; not reading alternative views and calling everything they don't agree with, "Fake News"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

They reject the validation of the evidence.

Laika

Premium Member

Sometimes people hold beliefs that are logically consistent in a system or worldview, but often can be taken to absurd lengths that conflict with facts. Most of us will have our share of cranky beliefs which we either picked up from someone else or developed in trying to figure something out. Other times we hold views we think are correct, but may be wrong in part or in their entirety.

We all engage in a certain level of denialism because we are never 100% perfectly rational beings, but when it becomes a consistent pattern, that's when our thinking has started to take precedence over the facts.

leov

Because a lot of it political fake...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Upon examination of evidence. The best way to lead mind from finding what is true is to present mind with half of truth.

Which the media seems to do a lot of. It is often difficult to get to the actual source of the information. There maybe a lot of layers of "half truths" between you and it. Often people don't have the time to dig through all of the layers.

The media reports something, it is easy to assume it is a half truth. Someone tells you something, also easy to assume it is a half truth, regardless of whether it is or not.

An actual denier IMO would have to have access to the source. Most do not. So they presume what is being presented to them is a half truth. One can always find plenty of half truths to support their view.

I'd suppose there is a bit of projection involved, "I don't have direct access to the truth, so neither do you."

You tell us what causes people to deny the truth, because YOU are the one that does this. You are projecting your denialism unto others simply because you have no courage to face your flawed reasoning on those subjects and no courage to face the REAL truth because then it would require you to accept the fact you wer fooled prior. Thats too much to handle for you.

Prometheus85

You tell us what causes people to deny the truth, because YOU are the one that does this. You are projecting your denialism unto others simply because you have no courage to face your flawed reasoning on those subjects and no courage to face the REAL truth because then it would require you to accept the fact you wer fooled prior. Thats too much to handle for you.

Oh geez. Time and time again, and countless of debates on this forum you have be a prime example of a person that’s in denial. No matter how many times you’ve been provided with evidence and facts you remained in denial. I’m not the one denying climate change, gun violence, economic equality. You are.

Oh geez. Time and time again, and countless of debates on this forum you have be a prime example of a person that’s in denial. No matter how many times you’ve been provided with evidence and facts you remained in denial.

That would be you and some others on here, not me. You are projecting.

I’m not the one denying climate change

Lets set the record straight. I deny climate alarmism, not climate change.

gun violence

Again, lets set the record straight. I dont deny gun violence. I just agree with the statistics that lower guns is higher overal crime.

economic equality. You are.

Again. Lets set the record straight. Economic equality is where the market is free and everyone has equal liberty to give there best. I dont agree with equally distribution of wealth and money.

siti

So there are no people out there who deny climate change or the holocaust?
Of course there aren't - its all just fake news invented by the government to cover up the fact that the Queen and Donald Trump are really reptilian invaders from a planet just beyond the perimeter of the known solar system. Have you ever actually met a climate change denier in person? Well there you go!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think there's anything all that new about it.

But you ask a good question: Why are we failing to counter it? Have we had more success in this area in the past, and if so, what approaches were used?