• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demonstrations

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Tantrums for adults?

Help me to understand the difference.
Shooting of Kendra James - Wikipedia

The demonstrations here (Portland, OR) are because of Kendra James and the others who have been killed by excessive use of force by law enforcement officers and agents.

eta: Their purpose are to demonstrate this excessive use of force by inciting reactions from police in response to peaceful protests.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Tantrums for adults?

The Stonewall Riots happened because we were opressed and repressed. Queers were arrested for being queer, and it started when some queens were arrested and they had enough and started rioting. That was basically the beginning of LGBT rights.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Demonstrations are the way to effect substantive social change. The ordinary means of social redress, allowed by those whom change would threaten, are largely ineffective for anything but trivial changes.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Tantrums for adults?

When you have wealth you can buy a politician to see your point of view.

When you do not have wealth you need to gather together to try to influence your politicians. They are called demonstrations

exchemist

Veteran Member
Tantrums for adults?

A tantrum is an uncontrolled outburst of anger, typically in the form of screaming and undirected violence, generally associated with small children who have yet to learn to control their emotions.

A political demonstration is a mass gathering to show (i.e. to demonstrate) a large level support for a political proposition.Typically this is part of a campaign to persuade government or legislators to act.

There is thus nothing in common between the two at all.

Now, if a demonstration turns into a riot, then you have something close to a mass tantrum on your hands.

However, to use the term "tantrum" for a riot is to belittle it inappropriately, as riots are dangerous and destructive social phenomena that need expert management and resources to quell them. In this respect they are like a fire: the wrong methods can make them worse, or cause new outbreaks to emerge in other places.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Some times they are fair, other times they are wrong. Some times they are conducted in a proper way, some times they go beyond. Then there are instigators.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Tantrums for adults?

kinda hard to find a hard line

a crowd of people chanting and waving signs
a crowd of people looting and setting fires
a crowd of people looking for bloody vengeance

the word .....protest....covers a lot of territory

maybe we should take rhetoric where rhetoric counts?
send letters of protest to law makers
call the news reporter and make a statement

crowds are easy to see
and chanting can be heard
but it's being anonymous.....hiding in a crowd

as if repeated public prayer
and the prayer will be answered?

exchemist

Veteran Member
kinda hard to find a hard line

a crowd of people chanting and waving signs
a crowd of people looting and setting fires
a crowd of people looking for bloody vengeance

the word .....protest....covers a lot of territory

maybe we should take rhetoric where rhetoric counts?
send letters of protest to law makers
call the news reporter and make a statement

crowds are easy to see
and chanting can be heard
but it's being anonymous.....hiding in a crowd

as if repeated public prayer
and the prayer will be answered?
But he never asked about "protest". He asked about "demonstrations".

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Please tell me you're just being provocative...

In a sense. My intent was to provoke thought and bring about intellectual conversation about the usefulness of demonstrations, and what sorts of demonstrations might be productive and what sorts would be counterproductive.

Some have already touched on riots, peaceful protest, and not so peaceful ones.

And then there are those that just stop by to leave snarky and glaringly ironic comments about maturity.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with the comparison isn't that it doesn't have some merit, it's that the subtext folks often associate with the terms is very, very different.

While there's nothing about a tantrum that explicitly implies it should not be taken seriously, we associate tantrums with children. And while there is also nothing about children that explicitly implies they shouldn't be taken seriously, we tend to believe that too. Thus, we think of tantrums as protests that do not deserve to be taken seriously.

That is doing a very grave disservice to protests and demonstrations, who explicitly want to (and need to) be taken seriously.