• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demonstrating the Ineffectiveness of Prayer

Rational Agnostic

To demonstrate the ineffectiveness of prayer, I wrote a computer program that prompts the user to pray to various specified deities to maximize the number of ones produced by a generator that generates a random integer between 1 and 2 inclusive that I also coded into the program. I coded a message box to appear that gives room for the user to type the prayer to the specified deity. The program does not finish until the user has finished typing the prayers to all of the deities included in the program. For this program, I included Jesus, Zeus, Buddha, Thor, Kali, and, for the sake of control, the nearest flagpole., I included code to generate a graph of the various deities and how many ones were generated after a prayer to each deity was typed. Here is the graph that resulted from 10,000 iterations of the random generator after each prayer to each deity was made. Clearly, there is no statistically significant difference between the deities, and thus we can conclude that there is no evidence that prayer to any of these deities was effective.

upload_2019-6-24_15-55-38.png

Koldo

Outstanding Member
To demonstrate the ineffectiveness of prayer, I wrote a computer program that prompts the user to pray to various specified deities to maximize the number of ones produced by a generator that generates a random integer between 1 and 2 inclusive that I also coded into the program. I coded a message box to appear that gives room for the user to type the prayer to the specified deity. The program does not finish until the user has finished typing the prayers to all of the deities included in the program. For this program, I included Jesus, Zeus, Buddha, Thor, Kali, and, for the sake of control, the nearest flagpole., I included code to generate a graph of the various deities and how many ones were generated after a prayer to each deity was typed. Here is the graph that resulted from 10,000 iterations of the random generator after each prayer to each deity was made. Clearly, there is no statistically significant difference between the deities, and thus we can conclude that there is no evidence that prayer to any of these deities was effective.

View attachment 30269

I was kinda rooting for the flagpole... :(

dianaiad

Your study is a bit flawed. You are assuming that if one of those deities existed, it would participate in the study. Now if it were my name on that list, along with Zeus and the flagpole...and Jesus...

I'd not be participating.

It constantly amazes me how atheists figure that they are in charge of what a deity will do, and can do, and that they, the atheists, can demand something from said deity, and that said deity WOULD comply.

It's a bit like saying that if your next door neighbor won't lend you his lawnmower every time you ask for it, he doesn't exist.

I mean, you might establish his non-existence in some other way, but THAT one won't work.

Really...you have non-beleivers TYPING prayers...probably pre written prayers asking for something specific...

There are so many things wrong with your experiment that it would be difficult to enumerate them all.

Looks impressive, though. Bar charts always do.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 30269

It’s probably because the user didn’t type the prayer in the deity’s native tongue.

Which begs the question...what language does a flagpole speak?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a believer in prayer myself, I would still have predicted your test to have near random chance results. I would have been right too.

I remember an experiment with a random number generator that asked people to try to produce an effect of producing more of a random number. The experiment had very significant positive results at the Princeton PEAR study but takes millions of trials to create highly significant odds against chance. In the following link look at the section on Random Event Generators.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When praying to a deity, the answer may not always get put in front of you. Sometimes you must look for the answer. And you can not get a scientific answer to it. That does not mean it does not exist.

And you did do this test to debunk prater. No wonder a deity would not give you data ;)

To demonstrate the ineffectiveness of prayer, I wrote a computer program that prompts the user to pray to various specified deities to maximize the number of ones produced by a generator that generates a random integer between 1 and 2 inclusive that I also coded into the program....Clearly, there is no statistically significant difference between the deities, and thus we can conclude that there is no evidence that prayer to any of these deities was effective.

Who says the effectiveness of prayer requires the prayer to be answered? In which case it wouldn't really matter which god you prayed to, it would be more about your praxis.

David T

Premium Member
Wow your experiment proved you don't understand prayer... congrats i am pretty sure there are some high school church kids that can explain it to ya. .

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Instead of these silly exercises of ideological masturbation. You could try prayer in the serious sense. Find a quiet place, get on your knees, humble yourself like the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14 and with all the gratitude and remorse you can muster, ask for the grace that may bring you to faith. To paraphrase Blaise Pascal, God wills to reveal Himself only to those who approach with sincerity. Without that sincerity, you will never find God, even if you were to search every single particle in the universe.

“God has willed to redeem men and to open salvation to those who seek it. But men render themselves so unworthy of it that it is right that God should refuse to some, because of their obduracy, what He grants others from a compassion which is not due to them. If He had willed to overcome the obstinacy of the most hardened, He could have done so by revealing Himself so manifestly to them that they could not have doubted of the truth of His essence; as it will appear at the last day, with such thunders and such a convulsion of nature that the dead will rise again, and the blindest will see Him.” It is not in this manner that He has willed to appear in His advent of mercy, because, as so many make themselves unworthy of His mercy, He has willed to leave them in the loss of the good which they do not want.

It was not, then, right that He should appear in a manner manifestly divine, and completely capable of convincing all men; but it was also not right that He should come in so hidden a manner that He could not be known by those who should sincerely seek Him.

He has willed to make himself quite recognizable by those; and thus, willing to appear openly to those who seek Him with all their heart, and to be hidden from those who flee from Him with all their heart. He so regulates the knowledge of Himself that He has given signs of Himself, visible to those who seek Him, and not to those who seek Him not. There is enough light for those who only desire to see, and enough obscurity for those who have a contrary disposition.” - Blaise Pascal.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I think I know what the problem with Hubert's experiment for what I know about the power of prayer.
He didn't send me any seed-faith money. If he would send me his tithe I will pray to the flagpole for him and he will know the power of the flagpole in his life. The flagpole loves you all and wants you all to have joy and prosperity but first you must show the flagpole that you believe that the flagpole can do this for you. And the only way to show the flagpole that you have faith is be willing to send a small donation to me, so I may open up the power of the flagpole to all of you.

Rational Agnostic

Instead of these silly exercises of ideological masturbation. You could try prayer in the serious sense. Find a quiet place, get on your knees, humble yourself like the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14 and with all the gratitude and remorse you can muster, ask for the grace that may bring you to faith. To paraphrase Blaise Pascal, God wills to reveal Himself only to those who approach with sincerity. Without that sincerity, you will never find God, even if you were to search every single particle in the universe.

“God has willed to redeem men and to open salvation to those who seek it. But men render themselves so unworthy of it that it is right that God should refuse to some, because of their obduracy, what He grants others from a compassion which is not due to them. If He had willed to overcome the obstinacy of the most hardened, He could have done so by revealing Himself so manifestly to them that they could not have doubted of the truth of His essence; as it will appear at the last day, with such thunders and such a convulsion of nature that the dead will rise again, and the blindest will see Him.” It is not in this manner that He has willed to appear in His advent of mercy, because, as so many make themselves unworthy of His mercy, He has willed to leave them in the loss of the good which they do not want.

It was not, then, right that He should appear in a manner manifestly divine, and completely capable of convincing all men; but it was also not right that He should come in so hidden a manner that He could not be known by those who should sincerely seek Him.

He has willed to make himself quite recognizable by those; and thus, willing to appear openly to those who seek Him with all their heart, and to be hidden from those who flee from Him with all their heart. He so regulates the knowledge of Himself that He has given signs of Himself, visible to those who seek Him, and not to those who seek Him not. There is enough light for those who only desire to see, and enough obscurity for those who have a contrary disposition.” - Blaise Pascal.

I can send you the program and you can type the prayers with sincerity, then.