• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats Voted Out of Church

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
This happens more often than is recognized. After all, I felt DRIVEN from the church I had attended over the politics of this war! I was told point blank by a deacon that my "left wing" politics would never be tolerated and that I should just leave. Rather than try to fight the City Hall of the church, I decided to just leave.

I have to agree with the others that the intolerance of the Religious Right runs contrary to ALL that Jesus taught and how he lived his life. The war mongers who have no compunction about killing thousands of Muslims have missed the entire point of Christianity. They have replaced love and patriotism with hatriotism, patience with intolerance and forgiveness with vengeance. They adhere to the policy of WWJB: Who Would Jesus Bomb.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Churches ought to be able to determine their own membership for themselves whether doing so aligns with my interpretation of their teachings or not.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even a casual reading of the New Testament makes it clear that Jesus was anti-war, anti-nationalism and pro social programs.

Christians are enjoined to love their enemies; return good for evil.
Christians believe in a brotherhood of man, weather Jew or Gentile -- or Muslim. Christians are not Americans, Israelis, Palestinians or Iraqis -- they're Christians. Their values are untainted by the current politics of their region.
Christians feed the hungry and clothe the poor. They do not bomb the poor or believe everyone is on his own and deserve no help from society.

Jesus would be shocked to find Christians espousing the imperialistic, warlike, dog-eat-dog values of the Romans.
The Bible makes it clear that Christians are not supposed to be "practical." They are not supposed to "fit in." They are not to seek worldly success. They are not to embrace the values and political attitudes du jour.

To find favor with God, Christians must adopt the Hippie values and lifestyle that Jesus prescribed.
Any church that supports militarism, nationalism and the popular values of the moment is clearly serving the 'other side.'

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Care to have a one on one debate on this subject FH ?

I said seemingly! The point is that people who profess to be Christians should probably try to actually follow what Christ taught. Likewise people who profess to be patriots should probably fight to uphold the values of liberty rather than strip them away.

Last edited: