• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats Push For New Voting Rights Act.

esmith

Veteran Member
It seems that since the BBB plan failed the Democrats are now pushing their voting rights agenda. I was watching a program that had two people giving their views on this subject. The person advocating for passing the voting rights put forward a couple of points.

1. Minorities have to stand in long lines without food and water to vote.

Sure that is a point but I have seen lines to vote stretched around the block and it did not consist totally of minorities, as a matter of fact the majority was not. So, the obvious solution is to have more polling places. The only issue is that in order to have more polling places you must have the volunteers to work those places and the majority of those volunteering are usually elderly men and women, (mostly women in my experience). So where are you going to get the people to volunteer to work a polling location?

2. There are not enough drop boxes for mail in ballots and in many cases they would have to go to another town to drop off their ballot.

The last time I used a mail in ballot (last election) I put a stamp on it and put it in the mail box. I would have to assume that the person advocating for changes to voting laws assumes that minorities can’t get a stamp. As far as traveling a long distance to drop off a mail in ballot, I would have to drive to the county seat (approx 20 miles and in another town). Also one must consider the security of drop boxes, but that could always be figured out. So what’s the problem?

Now I have also read and heard the complaint about ID and voting. Nowadays you have to have ID for about anything you do, from cashing a check, opening a checking account, entering a federal building, flying on commercial airlines, just to name a few. Do those that are against ID requirements to vote think that minorities are not capable of getting acceptable ID, guess they don’t cash checks, fly, open a banking account, or numerous other activities.

Now I’m sure that there are many hear that agree that a new voting acts law needs to be put in place. So, what must be included in this new law and why. Of course I would expect factual reasons and how you would accomplish say for instance getting addition polling places along with anyother problem you think restricts miniorities from voting.
Didn't seem to matter in the last presidential election, Biden flipped Georgia from a red state to a blue state.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It seems that since the BBB plan failed the Democrats are now pushing their voting rights agenda. I was watching a program that had two people giving their views on this subject. The person advocating for passing the voting rights put forward a couple of points.

Sure that is a point but I have seen lines to vote stretched around the block and it did not consist totally of minorities, as a matter of fact the majority was not. So, the obvious solution is to have more polling places. The only issue is that in order to have more polling places you must have the volunteers to work those places and the majority of those volunteering are usually elderly men and women, (mostly women in my experience). So where are you going to get the people to volunteer to work a polling location?

2. There are not enough drop boxes for mail in ballots and in many cases they would have to go to another town to drop off their ballot.

The last time I used a mail in ballot (last election) I put a stamp on it and put it in the mail box. I would have to assume that the person advocating for changes to voting laws assumes that minorities can’t get a stamp. As far as traveling a long distance to drop off a mail in ballot, I would have to drive to the county seat (approx 20 miles and in another town). Also one must consider the security of drop boxes, but that could always be figured out. So what’s the problem?

Now I have also read and heard the complaint about ID and voting. Nowadays you have to have ID for about anything you do, from cashing a check, opening a checking account, entering a federal building, flying on commercial airlines, just to name a few. Do those that are against ID requirements to vote think that minorities are not capable of getting acceptable ID, guess they don’t cash checks, fly, open a banking account, or numerous other activities.

Now I’m sure that there are many hear that agree that a new voting acts law needs to be put in place. So, what must be included in this new law and why. Of course I would expect factual reasons and how you would accomplish say for instance getting addition polling places along with anyother problem you think restricts miniorities from voting.
Didn't seem to matter in the last presidential election, Biden flipped Georgia from a red state to a blue state.
Covid meant many states decided to change voting laws so that people had more options to vote than showing up in person. This is one reason why there was a record turnout. Does voting have to be archaic and people show up in person? No. We are busy people and many have to work strict schedules. Main-in voting is a great option. As is early voting. I think there should be many options available and keep voter turnout high. The criticisms of there being problems and massive voter fraud due to the changes states put in place for Covid have no basis in fact or law. It is an issue spread by trump and any complicit republican, which happens to be many republicans in state houses.

I think the people have a right to vote easily. The state should set up a system that allows more voting access, and has an obligation not to lie about fraud. Any lies about fraud should mean immediate removal from public office. Public servants ARE public servants, they are not in these jobs to be political activists. They need to be held accountable for any disinformation. They can make mistakes, and then correct those mistakes, but if they repeat false claims about fraud, then they're out.

esmith

Veteran Member
Covid meant many states decided to change voting laws so that people had more options to vote than showing up in person. This is one reason why there was a record turnout. Does voting have to be archaic and people show up in person? No. We are busy people and many have to work strict schedules. Main-in voting is a great option. As is early voting. I think there should be many options available and keep voter turnout high. The criticisms of there being problems and massive voter fraud due to the changes states put in place for Covid have no basis in fact or law. It is an issue spread by trump and any complicit republican, which happens to be many republicans in state houses.
We already have early voting through mail in voting (I assume you meant mail in).
What do you mean "many options"? Please list and why necessary.

I think the people have a right to vote easily. The state should set up a system that allows more voting access, and has an obligation not to lie about fraud.
It appears to me that the people have a right to vote easily; where do you see they don't and why?
What do you want the state to set up? Generalizations say nothing.
Deleted your last comments since they had noting to do with the subject matter.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This one covers Natives who sometimes live in remote places and can't easily get to any of that (including stamps).

Suave

Simulated character

I am guessing most Americans would agree with the enfranchisement of non citizen workers having a vote for how their tax payments should be distributed and how their working conditions should be regulated. Also, please let us consider felons as being eligible to vote, because many of them have experienced discriminatory policing and unfair sentencing, and their votes might help persuade politicians to reform our criminal justice system.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The real question is why do Republicans insist election integrity must be preserved and people concerns must be settled when America's elections are very secure and solid? For so many years they've been wailing and gnashing their teeth over voter fraud, and when their big chance to shine they fell flat on their face into a big pile of elephant dung.
Why can't we have streamlined and convenient elections like the rest of the West? It's easier and quicker to vote and they're secure to boot.
But, then again, Republicans do like a race to the bottom with gutting social security, impeding social liberties, teaching myths and fantasies as facts in school (not just YEC), thinking more guns will fix a gun problem, and that voting must be more restrictive. That last one is especially horrible and terribly unhealthy for a liberal democracy.

epronovost

How about paying your poll workers interesting salaries for days worth of work (with extra hours). This would attract more people, especially gig workers, part time workers and students. Make election day a Holiday to allow more people to vote and more people who need extra cash to work on election. Increase access and time for anticipatory voting and postal voting could also help reduce crowding on election day. These potential solution were all suggested by Democrats if I am not mistaken.

PS: your personal observation aside being purely anecdotal, I can confirm to you that studies have shown that racial minorities, especially black people, have to wait significantly longer in line than white people on average. Here's one of the most high quality study on the subject https://arxiv.org/pdf/1909.00024.pdf

Indeed, for black people specifically, only 78% of them in age of voting have a proper ID compared to 91% of white people. Plus, identification errors are more common for black people than white people mostly because dark skin doesn't show all that well on older and smaller photography. Yes, a lot of the poorer citizen of your country don't have a valid ID to vote and have access to a lot of the things you consider for granted. Driving permits are the most common ID used for identification.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Sure that is a point but I have seen lines to vote stretched around the block and it did not consist totally of minorities, as a matter of fact the majority was not. So, the obvious solution is to have more polling places.

How about paying your poll workers

Yup. FYI, in California, state workers can serve as poll workers and be paid their regular wage (with approval from their boss, of course).

And in at least some CA counties, poll workers are paid and for students and retired people, it's a great way of picking up some money.

So pay is not an issue if other states want to solve the problem.

esmith

Veteran Member
Yup. FYI, in California, state workers can serve as poll workers and be paid their regular wage (with approval from their boss, of course).

And in at least some CA counties, poll workers are paid and for students and retired people, it's a great way of picking up some money.

So we do not need the new plan, is that what you are saying?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So we do not need the new plan, is that what you are saying?

What I'm saying is that I prefer to have states take the action rather than the federal government. Since they're not solving problems but instead making it harder to vote as we're now seeing in Texas, we need the last resort federal action.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Got facts to prove your point?
Notice that distance and housing are brought up multiple times (it actually discusses several issues, including how birth certificates and IDs can impose unfair barriers).
How the Native American Vote Continues to be Suppressed
This example helps explain why voting can be difficulty for Native American voters. Turnout for Native Americans is the lowest in the country, as compared to other groups. While a number of issues contribute to the low voter turnout, a study conducted by the Native American Voting Rights Coalition found that low levels of trust in government, lack of information on how and where to register and to vote, long travel distances to register or to vote, low levels of access to the internet, hostility toward Native Americans, and intimidation are obstacles. Isolating conditions such as language barriers, socioeconomic disparities, lack of access to transportation, lack of residential addresses, lack of access to mail, and the digital divide limit Native American political participation. Changes to voting processes further frustrate the ability of Native Americans to vote.

As part of their socioeconomic reality, Native Americans face obstacles when making choices about feeding their families or expending resources that might affect their right to vote. This could include renewing their P.O. box, replacing an ID to update a residential address, or driving a considerable distance to register to vote or vote. Nationally, the poverty rate of Native Americans is 26.8 percent. Native Americans are more likely to work multiple jobs, lack reliable transportation, and lack adequate childcare resources, thus making voting pragmatically difficult.

An additional problem affecting many Native Americans is homelessness or near homelessness due to extreme poverty and lack of affordable housing on many reservations. A study by the Department of Housing and Urban Development found that between 42,000 and 85,000 people in tribal areas are couch surfers, staying with friends or relatives only because they have no place of their own. This lack of permanent housing impacts the ability of these tribal members to have a permanent physical address, yet this should not impede their ability to exercise their right to vote.

F1fan

Veteran Member
We already have early voting through mail in voting (I assume you meant mail in).
What do you mean "many options"? Please list and why necessary.
States have their own laws how to run elections, both local and federal. Some states mail every registered voter a ballot, others require a request for a ballot. Others have required a problem with voting in person, like medical or being out of the country, before they can vote by mail (yes, mail). Some states allow same day registration to vote, others don't. ID are pretty much required everywhere now, but there are also the ways the person is identified that is different. If a signature looks different a voter might be denied their right to cast votes. This is a bad option because it is known by handwriting experts that signatures do change over time. Plus, who judging signatures is proficient in looking at important elements to assess it is the person or not?

Then there are actions by republicans who are hindering the voting access to minority voters:

All but one voting location might close in rural Georgia county

It appears to me that the people have a right to vote easily; where do you see they don't and why?
Look at the story I cited above.

But there are voting laws being changed in about 20 states that will make it harder to cast votes.

Here is a story I found:

New laws in 19 states will make it harder to vote in 2022

What do you want the state to set up?
I want states to be ethical and work to accommodate the voters. If they want mail in ballots, then they get it. If they want to vote in person, then they get it. If they are registered and miss an election, then they shouldn't be purged, keep their name on the list, and verify they still live in the county. There's more work in purging registered voters than maintaining their records. Give voters a chance to stay on the list, send them a post card asking them to confirm they are still in the county and wish to remain registered.

Do you follow me here? I want the state to encourage voting and make it easier for citizens, not the other way around. Your thoughts?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What I'm saying is that I prefer to have states take the action rather than the federal government. Since they're not solving problems but instead making it harder to vote as we're now seeing in Texas, we need the last resort federal action.
It already is federal. No state can Constitutionally balk or hinder the right to vote. Yet they are.

F1fan

Veteran Member
This one covers Natives who sometimes live in remote places and can't easily get to any of that (including stamps).
Plus, i think ballots should NOT require stamps, as this could be considered a poll tax. Sure it is only about 50 cents for a stamp, but I have been out os stamps. Making a trip to a post office for more stamps is a hassle. Plus even though its a few cents it may be more than what a poor family has.

F1fan

Veteran Member

With hundreds of millions being spent in election campaigns why shouldn't all states levy a tax on campaigns so some of that money goes to fund the very elections these candidates are using to be elected? All the money go into a general fund and the revenue is dispersed to each state in proportion to the number of registered voters they have. That will motivate states to register voters and keep them.

F1fan

Veteran Member
At the moment we have ethical people in charge of state elections. This might change soon and trump-loyal people are seeking those positions.

There is already investigations into fraudulent state electors from 5 states, and perhaps two others, after the 2020 election. The reporting I heard suggests there was an conspiracy and organized effort to replace the electors in five states that Biden won with republicans. I am stunned by this blatant fraud. This needs to be investigated and exposed, and conspirators indicted. This isn't even subtle fraud. This is in broad daylight and many of those complicit don't seem to care, or know any different.

Trump allies' fake Electoral College certificates offer fresh insights about plot to overturn Biden's victory - CNNPolitics

Here is a commentary on this in Wisconsin:

We must hold Wisconsin’s fraudulent electors accountable - Wisconsin Examiner

This isn't just trump and his insiders, this is a rampant conspiracy among republicans. Is it wrong that Democrats want voting right laws enacted?