• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats get senate in 2020 what happens?

Riders

So I have seen that some are saying now Democrats have a good chance of taking over Senate and House for 2020. If so and Trump is int he office, will Democrats be able to impeach him or throw him out??????

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So I have seen that some are saying now Democrats have a good chance of taking over Senate and House for 2020. If so and Trump is int he office, will Democrats be able to impeach him or throw him out??????
They can already and likely will impeach him. That happens exclusively, entirely, soley, and strictly only in the House. However, the accusations will pass to the Rep controlled Senate, where it's likely Trump will be acquitted. After that, I assume Trump will be protected from retrial due to the prohibitions on double jeopardy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No since it takes 67 to convict

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not surprised in the least about the Senate. Democratic enthusiasm is off the charts and is only going to grow given what the opposition, the Trump party, is up to.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The fact that some media outlets have been focused on public opinion poles and speculating democrats chances in the upcoming elections says much about this entire process. It doesn't seem that to some it has been as important for the facts and truth to be heard and verified as much as how it has imcreased or decreased political parties chances, what a depressing and deplorable state of affairs.

Shad

Veteran Member

Impeachment requires 67 votes. I do not think Dems are going to flip 20 seats. The GOP has 23 seats up for election and Dems have 12 currently. A lot of the GOP seats are in GOP bastions. North of the Dixie line are the seats that could change along with retiring GOP members in the NW. I just do not think the Dems can gain those seats.

I think Dems will retain the House.

If Dems did gain the votes required by election and/or GOP members flipping impeachment could reach a verdict. GOP wouldn't have the votes for dismissal nor could they stop it.

Last edited:

Riders

They can already and likely will impeach him. That happens exclusively, entirely, soley, and strictly only in the House. However, the accusations will pass to the Rep controlled Senate, where it's likely Trump will be acquitted. After that, I assume Trump will be protected from retrial due to the prohibitions on double jeopardy.
The Senate can not acquit him, they have the options of not removing him removing him or not removing him amd not letting him run again. Its not an acquital.

But if the impeachment process does take longer then the next election, if it takes longer then next November and Dems get the senate they might have a chance at removing him from office.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not surprised in the least about the Senate. Democratic enthusiasm is off the charts and is only going to grow given what the opposition, the Trump party, is up to.
Here's the problem the Democratic party has, IMHO.
There are lots more Democrats than Republicans. But they're mostly drawn from groups that have notoriously low turn out on election day. Young people, black people, female people, gay people....

So many "Democrats" think that wearing a T-shirt or Facebooking is support that TeaParty Republicans often win the actual races. Because TeaParty Republicans actually vote!
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
I remember this story from 4 years ago.
Tom

Congress tends to shift to the opposition party. Obama lost the House for 4 years and the Senate for 2 in his last term. Keeping in mind taking "Congress" is a vote majority. For the Senate it is 51 and 61. That is different from an impeachment majority.

Shad

Veteran Member
Here's the problem the Democratic party has, IMHO.
There are lots more Democrats than Republicans. But they're mostly drawn from groups that have notoriously low turn out on election day. Young people, black people, female people, gay people....

There are lot of independent and flip voters. There is easily between 40 million to 50 million votes that go beyond party registration in the 2016 elections. That is if every member voted for their party candidate. The GOP can only must about half the number of popular votes for Trump in 2016.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That is different from an impeachment majority.
You clearly don't know what impeachment means. The Senate cannot impeach anyone.
The House impeachs. Slick Willy Clinton was impeached. But he wasn't removed from office, which only the Senate can do. It didn't matter that the House impeached him. The Senate decided not to remove him from office, so he stayed.

Impeachment is not removal from office.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
You clearly don't know what impeachment means. The Senate cannot impeach anyone.

A Congressional majority is different from an impeachment majority.

I know what impeachment is.. I was talking about the trial. You just took it literally instead of a two part process.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
A Congressional majority is different from an impeachment majority.

I know what impeachment is.. I was talking about the trial. You just took it literally instead of a two part process.
No, you don't know what impeachment means.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
You seem to be mistaking impeachment for removal from office.
They're not the same thing. The Senate has no say in impeachment.
Tom

I wasn't being technical.

The Senate holds the trial.

Article 1 section 3.6

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.