• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats break pledge so they can pass legislation.

PureX

Veteran Member
Democrats drop pledge on NJ tax breaks, but get historic legislation in return — Stile

There no such thing as an honest politician.

If someone makes a pledge, a promise to the public, sould they be held to that pledge or promise no matter what?

I think that's a major problem involving modern politics.

People think lying is perfectly fine and OK.
On the other hand, no one can see into the future, and know what will and will not be possible to do. And sometimes, to get ANYTHING done, sacrifices have to be made. Politics is, after all, all about finding the mutually agreeable compromise.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
On the other hand, no one can see into the future, and know what will and will not be possible to do. And sometimes, to get ANYTHING done, sacrifices have to be made. Politics is, after all, all about finding the mutually agreeable compromise.
Then why even bother making a pledge or promise in the first place if one is aware that they might not keep it?

If a person feels it's not going to be kept, then don't make it a promise or pledge. Make it a contingency, instead of just lying about it.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Then why even bother making a pledge or promise in the first place if one is aware that they might not keep it?

If a person feels it's not going to be kept, then don't make it a promise or pledge. Make it a contingency, instead of just lying about it.
So why did the conservative supreme court justices make a pledge/promise not to overturn Roe V. Wade in the first place if they were aware they would not keep it?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Democrats drop pledge on NJ tax breaks, but get historic legislation in return — Stile

If someone makes a pledge, a promise to the public, sould they be held to that pledge or promise no matter what?

:cool::cool::cool:

My answer would be:
"don't lie, or break promises"

My Master told me:
"You better die than break your promise"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From a movie line, 'I am a politician, when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollypops.'
It reminds me of those political rallys in Lincolns day.

They once bribed only the citizenry.

Now they only bribe the corporations and unions.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Were you under the impression that any politician was honest?
I figured you surely wouldn’t be that naive.