• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats and Raising Taxes

SoyLeche

meh...
Yeah, and Trump had to spend hundreds of billions to fix the military that that idiot Obama and his liberal friends let deteriorate. That's how Obama reduced the deficit - by gutting the military. That's what the stiff-necked liberals always do.
First of all - Yay Obama! We spend WAY too much on the military and have for a long time.

Second of all, I'm not sure that the tiny uptick in military spending seen under Trump explains the deficit increase:
U.S. military spending 2000-2018 | Statista

And, didn't Trump recently take a bunch of money earmarked for the military and use it for his wall instead? I think I saw something about bases having to close because of it, but I'll have to research more later.

SoyLeche

meh...
That's disingenuous.

Regarding Reagan: "The smallest amount by which a Reagan budget was increased by the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives was $50 billion... When Reagan’s tax plan was passed in 1982, there were supposed to be two dollars in spending cuts for every dollar of tax cuts. But spending never got cut (the Democrats reneged). In the end, for every new dollar of tax revenue, the Democrats spent $1.80. Rather than cut spending, they let the government shut down and blamed Reagan."

Like I said - the best combo is democratic president and Republicans Congress.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

SoyLeche

meh...
Looking over that list, I don't see anything which directly relates to
maintaining & advancing our self-defense ability. Most appear to
be about the kind of military used to play policeman of the world.
So I wonder...what's the argument to fund these?
I’m on board with seriously slashing military spending, especially the world police stuff, so you’ll get no argument from me.

I’m just trying to see if military spending is what is leading to Trump’s deficits, and it doesn’t seem like it explains very much of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I’m on board with seriously slashing military spending, especially the world police stuff, so you’ll get no argument from me.

I’m just trying to see if military spending is what is leading to Trump’s deficits, and it doesn’t seem like it explains very much of it.
So many things lead to deficits.
Ultimately it's just us spending beyond our means.

SoyLeche

meh...
So many things lead to deficits.
Ultimately it's just us spending beyond our means.
I agree. Someone else made the claim. I'm looking to see if it's true.

It looks like the deficit as % of GDP has gone up about 1.5 percentage points since Trump took office.

Federal Surplus or Deficit [-] as Percent of Gross Domestic Product

Military spending as % of GDP has actually gone down a bit under Trump (about 0.1 percentage points)

U.S. - defense outlays and forecast as a percentage of the GDP 2000-2029 | Statista

So, we've got to look elsewhere for the cause of the increase in the deficit. Military spending doesn't do it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It looks like the deficit as % of GDP has gone up about 1.5 percentage points since Trump took office.

Military spending as % of GDP has actually gone down a bit under Trump (about 0.1 percentage points)

U.S. - defense outlays and forecast as a percentage of the GDP 2000-2029 | Statista

So, we've got to look elsewhere for the cause of the increase in the deficit. Military spending doesn't do it.
Aye, I've oft accused Trump of being yet another in a long line of tax & spend politicians.

SoyLeche

meh...

Comparable numbers for Obama was about a 6 percentage point decrease in deficit as % of GDP (starting in 2009, after the worst of the recession. In 2016 the deficit was back about to where it was in 2008 before the recession) and a 1.5 percentage point decrease in military spending as % of GDP. So Obama did more than just "slash the military" to achieve the lower deficits.

Spartan

Like I said - the best combo is democratic president and Republicans Congress.

Maybe in the old days, but not today. There's wasn't a candidate in that last Dem debate I'd hire as a dog catcher. They're liberals, and liberals screw up everything.

Spartan

First of all - Yay Obama! We spend WAY too much on the military and have for a long time.

Second of all, I'm not sure that the tiny uptick in military spending seen under Trump explains the deficit increase:
U.S. military spending 2000-2018 | Statista

And, didn't Trump recently take a bunch of money earmarked for the military and use it for his wall instead? I think I saw something about bases having to close because of it, but I'll have to research more later.

Yeah, Trump used some for the wall, because the stiff-necked liberals wouldn't fund it. They prefer illegal aliens and criminal sanctuary cities instead of protecting Americans.

Spartan

You praise spending more money on the military, which I also do at times, but you fail to ask what's the down side of putting so much money there while other programs are reduced or eliminated, such as the SNAP cuts in April that will leave roughly 1 million children in poor families with less to eat. How is that in any way complying with what Jesus taught? Did he teach "Make more bombs and let poor children go hungry"?. What kind of church would teach that?

Anyhow, I'm moving on as you post above sickens me because it's so utterly twisted.

The twisted part is your logic. Want SNAP money? Fund it with the untold billions liberals are spending on illegal aliens.

And wouldn't it be nice if before people began copulating, that they think ahead on how to feed their own children instead of making them wards of the state!

Spartan

Spartan said: Redistribution of Wealth is, at its core, a radical left-wing economic scheme centered in greed and covetousness for other people’s money, rather than exercising personal responsibility and initiative and earning it one’s self.

It's arrogant right-wing ad hominem.​

Nope. It's right on the money.​

SoyLeche

meh...
Yeah, Trump used some for the wall, because the stiff-necked liberals wouldn't fund it. They prefer illegal aliens and criminal sanctuary cities instead of protecting Americans.
The wall is a complete waste of money.

Just accept it - Trump has been terrible with money. Worse than Obama, and much worse than Clinton. Since the 70s at least the Democratic presidents have been better stewards of the nation's tax dollars.

SoyLeche

meh...
The twisted part is your logic. Want SNAP money? Fund it with the untold billions liberals are spending on illegal aliens.

And wouldn't it be nice if before people began copulating, that they think ahead on how to feed their own children instead of making them wards of the state!
So, you want Planned Parenthood?

Shad

Veteran Member
Yes. It makes no sense to claim raising taxes is a thing of this party or that. Anyone with half a brain should realize politician, regardless of party, are always in favor of increasing and slashing taxes when it suits them.

Especially where it suits them.

Elections

But, my experience is such that California does tax me less than Indiana.

Cali has higher taxes than Indy.

I'll be at a whole new level of personal income by the time California taxes me at around the same rate as Indiana always taxed me, be it as a high school student working food service, warehouse grunt, or white coat professional.
And, without trying or really even working I make more money here in California than I did working with kids in Indiana (even as a service provider for child services).

See above.

Shad

Veteran Member
For some, yes. For some, no.

It is overall a high state tax. Indy isn't.

Don't make yourself into one of those jackasses who keep trying to tell me I'm paying more here in taxes even though I'm not.

You conclusion can easily be mistakes on your part or your accountant. I am just stating a fact that Cali taxes are higher in general.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

It is overall a high state tax. Indy isn't.

You conclusion can easily be mistakes on your part or your accountant. I am just stating a fact that Cali taxes are higher in general.
And I am stating the fact I am not taxed as high as I was in Indiana. It is no error or mistake. Two years of paying taxes here, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm paying now here compared to what I was in Indiana (which I often ended up owing at the end of the year).