• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats’ outrageous border cruelty

Shad

Veteran Member
Well duhhh!... If you went after employers you'd actually be effective. Then where would the economy be? :confused:
Best stick with the bombastic rhetoric and symbolic interventions. ;)

The economy will do fine as illegals fill out the bottom of the barrel for employment. They are replaceable.

It is just pandering for votes. Seen it years.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The economy will do fine as illegals fill out the bottom of the barrel for employment. They are replaceable.

It is just pandering for votes. Seen it years.
Illegals can't vote. Illegals are hired by corporations to exploit for cheap labor on agricultural farms. Who's going to replace those workers?

Republicans won't stop illegal immigration for this purpose. Of course they won't tell you that. Capitalism prevents them from stopping the problem.

ecco

Veteran Member
Of course it does, you cut the head off the snake, you might get a dumber head to replace it. Not to mention the power struggle that ensues to fill the vacuum.

Each and every time.
Killing bootleggers sure did stop the traffic in illegal whiskey!

Oh, wait. Repealing prohibition stopped the traffic in illegal whiskey. As a side benefit, it also stopped the shooting wars between rival gangs that resulted in innocent people getting killed.

I'm assuming that your just advocating for the bad guy just to win because they're too powerful or something like that. The defeatist route .

Not advocating for bad guys. Maybe advocating for truth.

You made the assertion that killing the heads of snakes works - Each and every time. I pointed out that that assertion is unsupported, unsupportable and just plain wrong.

ecco

Veteran Member
There are plenty of American citixens who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.

Maybe you can back up that comment. Please show reports of born and bred Americans wanting to pick strawberries or chop up chickens.

A day in the strawberry fields seems like forever
Teixeira, an affable guy with a sharp sense of humor, has argued publicly that Americans are unwilling to do the hard work that's necessary to gather crops. Like other growers, many of them conservative Republicans, he argues for immigration reform that provides for a steady stream of immigrants to do the work others won't.

"Americans don't want to do the fieldwork. They'll go over and make hamburgers for $8 an hour with no insurance, no nothing, when they can make more money here," Teixeira said. "I don't care if you pay $20 an hour, they'll come here one or two days, and they're gone. It's a mind-set: They think fieldwork is below them."​

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe you can back up that comment. Please show reports of born and bred Americans wanting to pick strawberries or chop up chickens.

Teixeira, an affable guy with a sharp sense of humor, has argued publicly that Americans are unwilling to do the hard work that's necessary to gather crops. Like other growers, many of them conservative Republicans, he argues for immigration reform that provides for a steady stream of immigrants to do the work others won't.

"Americans don't want to do the fieldwork. They'll go over and make hamburgers for $8 an hour with no insurance, no nothing, when they can make more money here," Teixeira said. "I don't care if you pay $20 an hour, they'll come here one or two days, and they're gone. It's a mind-set: They think fieldwork is below them."​
Mexicans used to migrate here seasonally for work, and then return home. Everybody was happy with the arrangement. But today they can't get in, and if they do, they're stuck here, even though they'd rather go home to Mexico.
This new arrangement pleases no-one but the politicians, who are able to stir up their base with stories of "invasions" of rapists, gang members and murderers.

lostwanderingsoul

There are plenty of people who enter the country LEGALLY who will do these jobs. Should we do away with the law just so strawnerries can be picked?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are plenty of people who enter the country LEGALLY who will do these jobs. Should we do away with the law just so strawnerries can be picked?
Your repeating of this simply doesn't make it right, plus it defies the pattern we've repeatedly seen.

Several years ago, the state of Alabama passed tougher laws on hiring undocumented aliens, and it ended up with roughly 30% of the crops in the state not getting picked, for example.

Also, if local townspeople really wanted these jobs, then why aren't various owners hiring them en masse? You would think hiring your neighbors or your neighbor's kids would be your first choice, but it certainly doesn't turn out that way a great deal of the time.

About three decades ago, I did volunteer work for the United Farm Workers (Cesar Chavez's union) through the United Farms Workers Ministries, and these "Mexicans" were hired, not because there were all these locals willing to work the farms but because the owners could find enough locals to fill the bill.

ecco

Veteran Member
Mexicans used to migrate here seasonally for work, and then return home. Everybody was happy with the arrangement. But today they can't get in, and if they do, they're stuck here, even though they'd rather go home to Mexico.

Where are you getting your information?

H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers
The H-2A program allows U.S. employers or U.S. agents who meet specific regulatory requirements to bring foreign nationals to the United States to fill temporary agricultural jobs.

Effective Jan. 19, 2019, nationals from the following countries are eligible to participate in the H-2A program:
  • Moldova
  • Mexico
  • Monaco

ecco

Veteran Member
There are plenty of American citixens who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.

First, you said Citizens. Now you are shifting to legal immigrants. OK...
Maybe you can back up that comment. Please show reports of people who entered the country legally wanting to pick strawberries or chop up chickens.

The notion that illegal immigrants are taking Americans jobs is Right Wing propaganda.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where are you getting your information?

The H-2A program allows U.S. employers or U.S. agents who meet specific regulatory requirements to bring foreign nationals to the United States to fill temporary agricultural jobs.

Effective Jan. 19, 2019, nationals from the following countries are eligible to participate in the H-2A program:
  • Moldova
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
Yet "illegals" are still manning processing plants, construction sites and vegetable fields, and crops are still going unharvested where immigration enforcement is strong.

ecco

Veteran Member
Yet "illegals" are still manning processing plants, construction sites and vegetable fields

This would be easy to fix if Congress really wanted to fix it. Congress doesn't.

and crops are still going unharvested where immigration enforcement is strong.

I think you just argued against your original post:
There are plenty of American citixens (sic) who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.

If crops are going unharvested, why aren't your "American citixens (sic) who are looking for jobs" doing the harvesting?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I bet you have a fence around your house to keep people out.
A. The country isn't a single house. B. Walls do nothing to keep out people who enter legally and overstay their visa, nor does it address asylum seekers, which is how most of the people we're discussing entered the country. C. A static wall can be defeated myriad direct ways, tunnelling, ladders, just for example.

Sorry to rain on the simplistic "build a wall build a wall" platitude parade.

ecco

Veteran Member
Hasn't this been explained? Americans won't do it.

lostwanderingsould and I were haveing a conversation wherein he stated...

When you jumped into the conversation, I responded, not realizing that you were not the person I was having the conversation with.

Apparently, you also missed who I was addressing when I said:
I think you just argued against your original post:
lostwanderingsoul said:
There are plenty of American citixens (sic) who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.​
If crops are going unharvested, why aren't your "American citixens (sic) who are looking for jobs" doing the harvesting?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
lostwanderingsould and I were haveing a conversation wherein he stated...

When you jumped into the conversation, I responded, not realizing that you were not the person I was having the conversation with.

Apparently, you also missed who I was addressing when I said:
lostwanderingsoul said:
There are plenty of American citixens (sic) who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.​

Apologies for any confusion or misunderstandings.