• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats’ outrageous border cruelty

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm Native American. Don't preach to me about morals or the harm illegals won't cause.
I'm quite aware that 'invasions' happen. People conquer, they come with ill intent, but painting everyone with the same brush; presuming ill intent, is pusillanimous and intellectually lazy.

These refugees are not Visigoths or an army of Huns. They're fellow human beings; people in distress to whom you owe the same moral consideration you do towards your own family.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I won't be back on until Saturday evening or Sunday morning.
Tell you what, research how many countries say press 1 for their native language. For example(s).
Does France say press 1 for French?
Does Mexico say press 1 for Spanish?
Does Russia say press 1 for Russian?
Does China say press 1 for Mandarin?
Does Japan say press 1 for Japanese?

I will look forward to what you come up with. Have a great weekend.
If I planned an emigration to China, and had the opportunity, I'd begin studying the language beforehand. However, if I fled there, as an impoverished, likely uneducated refugee, could I be blamed for not knowing the language?

Don't be so mean. These people have it hard enough. Have a little compassion and don't condemn them for their cultural awkwardness. It's more disconcerting to them than it is to you, after all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And just for fun.... Here in America when you call many places you have to push a 1 for "English" the American language.
I don't mind any one coming here. But do it legally, learn the language, live by our laws. That's not asking too much.
Fun fact: there is no "American language." Are you so intellectually lazy that pressing button offends you? What about the fact America has ALWAYS been host of numerous languages (even before the Europeans)?

ecco

Veteran Member
Of course it does, you cut the head off the snake, you might get a dumber head to replace it. Not to mention the power struggle that ensues to fill the vacuum.

Each and every time.

Killing bootleggers sure did stop the traffic in illegal whiskey!

Oh, wait. Repealing prohibition stopped the traffic in illegal whiskey. As a side benefit, it also stopped the shooting wars between rival gangs that resulted in innocent people getting killed.

ecco

Veteran Member
Are you worried about overpopulation, or just incensed that someone's broken a law?
Is it never right to break a law?
Some people are just worried about more of "those other people" living and voting in this Country.

ecco

Veteran Member
History.... Native Americans to the first refugees/illegals "greet them, welcome them, help them, feed them, etc" worked out well for the American Indian didn't it.
I think it was less of that than just a complete ignorance of their overwhelming technological inferiority.

ecco

Veteran Member
And just for fun.... Here in America when you call many places you have to push a 1 for "English" the American language.
I don't mind any one coming here. But do it legally, learn the language, live by our laws. That's not asking too much.

cfa24e4e94b58a250505e1a9de3822bd.jpg

driving-in-israel-trilingual-road-signs.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

cdg_airport_sign.jpg

a76b6fd556edbe4b0f26504a7d2eddee.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Killing bootleggers sure did stop the traffic in illegal whiskey!

Oh, wait. Repealing prohibition stopped the traffic in illegal whiskey. As a side benefit, it also stopped the shooting wars between rival gangs that resulted in innocent people getting killed.
I'm assuming that your just advocating for the bad guy just to win because they're too powerful or something like that. The defeatist route .

No. It really does have a positive effect when you fight back. It might not stop everything but it will certainly put the clamps on.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then build the wall and keep them out.
But would that really work?
Would it have unintended and deleterious social and ecological consequences?
Would the wall prove prohibitively expensive vis a vis its benefits?

There is an inexpensive mechanism that's proven very effective in removing 'illegals', but it's economic effects have been problematic. Removing this cheap, compliant labor force seriously impeded business.

lostwanderingsoul

But would that really work?
Would it have unintended and deleterious social and ecological consequences?
Would the wall prove prohibitively expensive vis a vis its benefits?

There is an inexpensive mechanism that's proven very effective in removing 'illegals', but it's economic effects have been problematic. Removing this cheap, compliant labor force seriously impeded business.
There are plenty of American citixens who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are plenty of American citixens who are looking for jobs. Maybe part of the reason is that illegals hold these jobs.
Not really by & large, especially nowadays. Do you want to pick pickles on a pickle farm, for example? [try to say that after a few beers]

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The illegals hold these jobs cause employers report that they can't fill agricultural picking, meatpacking, factory farming, ans such jobs with legal workers. What American citizens they hire tend to quit after a couple of weeks, and are likely to report abusage like 12h, six day workweeks at below minimum wage, housing dozens of workers in unheated trailers with no running water, or flagrantly unsafe working conditions.
Reforming the jobs to make them attractive to citizens would be prohibitively expensive and entail a great deal of legal and financial red tape. If you have access to virtual slaves, why would you consider hiring Americans? It would be financial suicide.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually pickles do not grow. They start as cucumbers.
But with a bit of genetic engineering we could increase the acetic acid and salt content in hybrid cucumbers, and using CRISPR, could insert dill and garlic DNA, as well. Voila! Pickles on the vine.:D

O brave new world....

metis

Actually pickles do not grow. They start as cucumbers.
Of course, but why I used "pickles" is a story in and of itself.

Near the end of my freshman year in college (1964), one of my classmates asked me if I had a job lined up for the summer, and I responded that I didn't. He said then I should maybe consider working for his family, which grew pickles (ok, cucumbers) on a farm near Lake Michigan. I told him I would consider that, whereas he began to laugh, telling me that I wouldn't last even a day as that is backbreaking stoop-labor that even he wouldn't do. Instead, he says his family hires "Mexicans" ever year to pick the crop.

The fact of the matter is that these people do a lot of the labor that you and I benefit from, such as lower food prices. They also have a lower overall crime rate than American citizens.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course, but why I used "pickles" is a story in and of itself.

Near the end of my freshman year in college (1964), one of my classmates asked me if I had a job lined up for the summer, and I responded that I didn't. He said then I should maybe consider working for his family, which grew pickles (ok, cucumbers) on a farm near Lake Michigan. I told him I would consider that, whereas he began to laugh, telling me that I wouldn't last even a day as that is backbreaking stoop-labor that even he wouldn't do. Instead, he says his family hires "Mexicans" ever year to pick the crop.

The fact of the matter is that these people do a lot of the labor that you and I benefit from, such as lower food prices. They also have a lower overall crime rate than American citizens.
Harvesting pasta from the Italian spaghetti-trees is much less backbreaking, I hear.

Spaghetti-tree hoax - Wikipedia

metis

Harvesting pasta from the Italian spaghetti-trees is much less backbreaking, I hear.

Spaghetti-tree hoax - Wikipedia
Believe it or not, I saw the original with my wife on PBS with the maidens picking spaghetti from the spaghetti tree, and it took a bit before I hit the "Say what???" stage. I think it was a BBC hoax, and they do it every year.

Gotta go, but thanks for the memories (remember Bob Hope?).

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Believe it or not, I saw the original with my wife on PBS with the maidens picking spaghetti from the spaghetti tree, and it took a bit before I hit the "Say what???" stage. I think it was a BBC hoax, and they do it every year.

Gotta go, but thanks for the memories (remember Bob Hope?).
I think we've dated ourselves quite enough, thank you.:rolleyes:

tytlyf

Not Religious
You guys do realize this crisis is different than the first crisis arguing for a wall? False equivalence.
Trump has concentration camps on the border, separating families just like they did in Germany.

I think the terrorist prisoners in Guantanamo Bay are treated better. Food, hygiene, etc.