• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy in the Arab world is a threat to the US

Many Sages One Truth

That's a false image of Islam

I know it is, but that doesn't stop Muslims from doing it does it? The Qur'an doesn't even say specifically that it was the sin of Lot's people, it says it was rape and gang violence, just like the Bible. People like to take the story there out of context too.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
That's a false image of Islam

Hi Landerage!

Do you mean that Muslim's are actually tolerant of LGBT people? I would be pleasantly surprised if you could provide a link that shows a Muslim leader supporting the rights of LGBT people.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Bismillah

Submit
Of course it is, the U.S enjoys and relies on the unlimited power of the dictators and monarchs. It keeps things so much simpler while those in power keep the power and leave the people without a say.

Landerage

Araknor
Hi Landerage!

Do you mean that Muslim's are actually tolerant of LGBT people? I would be pleasantly surprised if you could provide a link that shows a Muslim leader supporting the rights of LGBT people.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:
Hello yeshe
In my own opinion, the Qur'an doesn't state punishement on Lot's people for doing homosexuality, but God mentioned they did great sins, rapes, attacking and I think for that they had a great suffery. Many other nations suffered the same way but weren't practising homosexuality, but moreover because of the crimes and injustice and corruption they made. I do think God can forgive those who commit homosexual for being the way they are without a choice. As for me I was abused when I was a child and that affected my sexual path so it wasn't really a choice for me. I think God really judges depending on what's in your heart rather then your actions. However there's a nice verse in the Qur'an which I don't know in what sura, and I hope I translate it correctely, but which says that those who don't find sexual relationships, God will send his blessings to them. So everyone is equal for God and each gets mercy and his reward/punishement.
Now look what democracy in the arab world led us to :angel2:

Landerage

Araknor
I know it is, but that doesn't stop Muslims from doing it does it? The Qur'an doesn't even say specifically that it was the sin of Lot's people, it says it was rape and gang violence, just like the Bible. People like to take the story there out of context too.
Indeed, that's a great remark. Muslims should be compassionate and forgiving, and I think it's so wrong killing a person for practising homosexuality. I do think God would punish such a person, but God put 1% of his mercy on earth, and 99% in the heavens..
What always brings doom is people who give so much attention to details, and forget about the core. Judging those persons to death for comitting a sin and forgetting about how much Islam asks for forgiveness and compassionate and the use of our minds and see why those people became homoesexual in the first place, is so wrong

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
and see why those people became homoesexual in the first place, is so wrong

I assume that you're referring to the act of being born?

Or do you really believe, mistakenly, that most homosexuals "choose" who they're sexually attracted to?

Landerage

Araknor
I assume that you're referring to the act of being born?

Or do you really believe, mistakenly, that most homosexuals "choose" who they're sexually attracted to?
Not sure about the numbers, but as I learned on another thread is that the majority choose to be homosexual, while few ones are born with it (such as myself) and is due to reasons far from their choice, such as the social enviroment and abuse ...

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Not sure about the numbers, but as I learned on another thread is that the majority choose to be homosexual, while few ones are born with it (such as myself) and is due to reasons far from their choice, such as the social enviroment and abuse ...

Which thread, and how did you "learn" this there? As far as I know, research has shown fairly conclusively that homosexuality is generally not a choice. There are bisexuals who can more easily choose which sex to be attracted to (in fact, recent research has finally vindicated the existence of bisexuality in men), but most people aren't able to choose which sex they're sexually attracted to.

It's true that sexuality is more of a spectrum than a black and white schema, but many people are on far ends of the scale where they're pretty much exclusively sexually attracted only to the same or the opposite sex. I have no idea where you got this notion that homosexuality is a choice, nor can I imagine why someone would choose to be social pariahs.

The bit about abuse causing homosexuality, by the way, is a stereotype: abuse does cause some sexual abnormalities such as pedophilia, but homosexual tendancy from abuse is usually bisexual in nature. Homosexuality by and large isn't beyond a person's choice because of "social environment" and "abuse." Homosexuality has genetic and biological environmental factors. You are spreading disinformation that harms the progress we've made towards awareness when you say otherwise.

Last edited:
I admire Noam Chomsky, but sometimes I feel his overwhelming criticism of everything leaves an enormous gap, where constructive solutions ought to be. For example, what does Chomsky suggest as an alternative to the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel? Does he really think resumption of the Six Day War, militarization by Egypt of the Sinai, or occupation of the Sinai by Israel, would make the region more stable? So Chomsky is not against military threats, or "humanitarian conflict" after all (when Egypt is threatening Israel in order to protect Lebanon)? I am sure that is not a fair characterization of Chomsky's view, but he needs to fill in these details in a more convincing way, I feel.

On Libya: Chomsky says the U.S. is trying to install a more reliable dictator. Does anyone have any evidence for this? I wasn't aware the U.S. was doing anything in Libya apart from supporting the NATO air strikes aimed at killing Qaddafi and helping the rebels (and if the U.S. wasn't doing this, I get the feeling Chomsky would criticize that, too, as tacit support for a ruthless dictator). What to do?

Again I'm just trying to fill in the "solutions gap" that Chomsky leaves when he criticizes the U.S. for everything. What's the solution? What should U.S. policy be?

Landerage

Araknor
Which thread, and how did you "learn" this there? As far as I know, research has shown fairly conclusively that homosexuality is generally not a choice. There are bisexuals who can more easily choose which sex to be attracted to (in fact, recent research has finally vindicated the existence of bisexuality in men), but most people aren't able to choose which sex they're sexually attracted to.

It's true that sexuality is more of a spectrum than a black and white schema, but many people are on far ends of the scale where they're pretty much exclusively sexually attracted only to the same or the opposite sex. I have no idea where you got this notion that homosexuality is a choice, nor can I imagine why someone would choose to be social pariahs.

The bit about abuse causing homosexuality, by the way, is a stereotype: abuse does cause some sexual abnormalities such as pedophilia, but homosexual tendancy from abuse is usually bisexual in nature. Homosexuality by and large isn't beyond a person's choice because of "social environment" and "abuse." Homosexuality has genetic and biological environmental factors. You are spreading disinformation that harms the progress we've made towards awareness when you say otherwise.
The thread name is Homosexuality. Why is it wrong? And I think your information are more accurate which I thank you for.