• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy Day?

Should Election Day be a holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I think it's a good idea and I would vote for it. I know employers are supposed to give people time off, but a national Holiday would make it easier for more people to make it to the polls.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Some states have done a fair bit to make it easier to vote by setting up advance voting.

In Georgia, for the entire week prior to an election, you can go vote at the county office. That's not the best for people who depend on public transport, but it does leave room for people who have a tough time getting away from work and family responsibilities.

And there's always absentee voting. It used to be you had to have an "excuse" to vote absentee, but now you just have to phone the office. They'll send you an application for a ballot, you sent it in, they send you a ballot, you send it in. If you have Internet access, it's even easier...you just print off the form to "order" your ballot.

I always have to vote absentee, because I'm a poll manager in a precinct that is not my own.

Here's what I think we should and can do to make it easier to vote: who the heck *cares* what precinct you show up at? Right now, Georgia has equipment at every polling place that contains the entire statewide list of registered voters. The only problem is, if you're voting out of your precinct, we can't give you the proper ballot for your location. But that problem is not so difficult to overcome.

It would be darned handy if people could just vote at whatever polling place they were closest to during the day.

And another possibility is: why Tuesday? Why not both Saturday and Sunday?

standing_alone

Election Day should definately be a federal holiday. If it was, it's reasonable to believe voter turnout would be higher.

beckysoup61 said:
Only if I can get work off that day. :p

That's kind of the point of a federal holiday...

klubbhead024

When not even 40% of the country votes, why reward those who don't a free day off of work? I say, you go vote, you get the day off!

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:
But I would be alarmed if the stores don't follow suite by holding Democracy Day sales. Consumerism, rather than liberty, is the real reason for this country's existence nowadays.

Both production and consumption are one of the fruits of liberty. Liberty is not an end-in-itself, but only a means to other ends. :)

I say bring on those sales!

eudaimonia,

Mark