• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy at its finest?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on this post:
UK Elections
I had an idea. Seems like a few of us find flaws in our countries' election systems. Please post things you think are dumb in your country's system.

I'll start:
Israel:
Israeli elections are done in a way that any party can run, but to enter the knesset (Israeli parliament), you have to win a minimum of 4 out of 120 possible seats.

Dumb thing no.1: Lots of teeny-tiny little parties that don't make the cut still drink up a lot of votes.

After that, the head of the party with the most chances to create a majority coalition between various parties (not necessarily the largest party, but usually) gets the mandate to try to assemble the coalition government.

Dumb thing no. 2: It's possible to set up a weak minority coalition in which case the opposition would be stronger than the coalition and always vote them down on every issue.

Dumb thing no. 3: It's possible to set up a weak majority coalition in which you may have more seats in the knesset but the coalition is made up of some wild-card parties that could just decide to split away from the government for whatever usually egotistical reason and that sends everyone back to the voting booths. This is basically what's happening now in Israel.

Dumb thing no. 4: Elections, apparently, have to take place at least three months after breaking-up the knesset. People in Israel are now pretty mad that there hasn't been a stable government in almost a year because our politicians are childish, are willing to waste taxpayer money, and aren't even willing to set an earlier date for elections. No, once again we have to wait three months for elections. Now, officially we did get an earlier date for elections, simply because the chosen month has other events taking place in it, so instead of the regular Tuesday voting day, it'll now be a Monday. Wonderful. They moved it back one day.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll start:
Israel:
Israeli elections are done in a way that any party can run, but to enter the knesset (Israeli parliament), you have to win a minimum of 4 out of 120 possible seats.
Your country is so tiny that all you really need is a post office, but its cute that you have elections. Parliamentary systems are good for small countries. They wouldn't work here. Almost nothing does!

Based on this post:
UK Elections
I had an idea. Seems like a few of us find flaws in our countries' election systems. Please post things you think are dumb in your country's system.
First of all its too big. Its just so, so big. I can drive cross country for days at 60mph. With a country so large nobody can agree on anything, so our system is designed to rely on the fact that people cannot agree. It does this very well. Over the last few years we have had several 'Government shut down' periods. I think that is pretty stupid.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Israeli system is indeed broken. And when egotistical people put their own selves ahead of the good of the country, that brokenness becomes obvious.