• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demarchy and Sortition

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

- Acts 1:26

The Old Order Amish use a combination of election and sortition to select church leaders. Men receiving two or three nominations to fill a vacancy are asked to pick a psalm book containing a slip of paper, one of those slips being marked to indicate who will take on the burden of the position. This time-honoured custom is meant to imitate the example set by the Apostles, who appointed new members of their group by casting lots. Could this quaint little practice hold promise for deadlocked political systems riven by partisan agendas?

Over here in the UK, our political system has hit impenetrable deadlock over Brexit.

Parliament is divided, the body politic is divided. There are all sorts of factions among politicians - Remainers (like myself) in favour of holding a second referendum or "People's Vote", Hard Brexiteers who want to crash out without striking a trade deal, May loyalists backing her deeply unpopular negotiated settlement and backstop, supporters of the Norway model - and no consensus among the different groups for any one option over the others.

If a new general election were called, it would be likely to lead to yet another hung parliament or minority government that cannot pass the necessary legislation or push through its desired policies.

There is a strong sense all round that the system, as it stands, is broken. Perhaps irreparably so.

Somehow, this fractured political landscape needs some kind of heavy brinkmanship.

Could sortition and demarchy offer a possible solution?

A year before Ireland voted in a landslide plebiscite to legalise abortion, ninety-nine random strangers - housewives, students, ex-teachers, truck drivers and others - met in a North Dublin hotel to discuss this most vexing and emotive issue that had long divided Irish society, resulting in deadlock. They met as a representative sample of the wider population, a so-called "Citizens’ Assembly": comprising pro-lifers, pro-choicers and undecideds whose views broadly reflected opinions in the wider Irish population.

And they managed to do what the Irish political class - bitterly at odds over the issue, between liberals and conservatives - had failed to achieve for decades. Around a table, after just five weeks of sipping coffee and getting down to business, they broke the longstanding stalemate in Irish politics by agreeing a consensus on the way forward.

In the political lexicon, the process these ordinary citizens took part in is known by various names - participatory democracy, citizens assembly or citizens jury, sortition, selection by lot, allotment, and demarchy.

Now, I'm a firm believer in representative democracy. It's still a very recent phenomenon in the grand-sweep of human history, when you consider the long-lasting nature of empires or the five-hundred year legacy of the Roman Republic. We have a long way to go and while it has survived grave tests like the surging fascism of the 1930s, it hasn't been around half as long as it needs to be for us to be absolutely sure of its reliability in perpetuity.

Nevertheless, I continue to believe that our mixed model of democracy - with separation of powers between legislature, executive and judiciary - is the best form of governance that our species has yet come up with. I am critical of direct, plebiscitary democracy - as the French Revolution and Brexit have proven; this is not a stable, efficient, consensus-building or enduring version of democracy.

In Republican France the experiment with direct, commune-style democracy - spearheaded by the whims of the mob, or sans-cullottes - lasted a ridiculously short seven years after the abolition of the monarchy before disintegrating in a pool of blood, fury and tears that saw Napoleon Bonaparte establish an absolute dictatorship to end the Reign of Terror that had ensued.

But I am open-minded about Irish-style "demarchy" or "sortition". Let me be clear: I wouldn't want it to replace parliamentarism - returning us to a sort of Athenian-style system of committees of citizens appointed by lot and exercising direct democratic power. That would, again, be too much direct democracy for my liking.

The Athenian system of democracy, involving a large degree of sortition. persisted for a measly 50 years - twice interrupted by oligarchic uprisings - and was even worse than revolutionary France in terms of unnecessary violence. In 427 BC, for instance, the people of Athens voted, democratically, to put to death the entire adult male population of the town of Mytilene and to throw into slavery their women and children. Before that, in 399 BC, the Athenians had voted to put Socrates - the greatest philosopher and freethinker of the ancient world - to death because he preferred listening to the voice of his conscience rather than blindly following the ancestral customs and rituals of the city. Athenian democracy - glorified by many today, and in my opinion unjustifiably - was an abortive failure. Not a model to be emulated or praised.

I am happy to say that, despite my serious reservations with Brexit, we haven't gone that far off-base.

Liberal values, secularism, the rule of law, equality under the law and separation of powers make democratic decision-making enlightened. Without these first existing and there being a societal-consensus and consciousness in their favour, people voting by majority can do all sorts of horrible, unfortunate stuff.

But with Irish-style demarchy, I think it could be a useful mechanism to gradually phase into terribly gridlocked political systems, to avoid nasty campaigns and government shut-downs - when conventional parliamentary and direct democracy (in referenda) stalls.

I welcome the thoughts of my esteemed RF colleagues on this! :D

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I like the idea of demarchy. I can see some application for it, but I would not want it to replace representative government -- at least not without extensive research done on it first.

The OP reminds me of something a graduate student in anthropology came across when he was studying a Southwestern US Native American tribe. I think it might have been the Hopi Nation.

At any rate, the people were faced with a major decision regarding water rights. So the elders gathered the people together village by village and explained the issue to them. Then they left the people to discuss it among themselves for a few months.

Towards the end of the discussion period, the elders made the rounds of every household to learn what people were thinking.

Then they once again called the villages together. But this time, they offered the people several options to vote on. The options were based on what the elders had learned by visiting each household to find out what people were thinking.

After all the options were explained to them, the villagers voted, and thus the Nation arrived at its water rights policy.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
@Vouthon, could you give two or three examples of instances where you think demarchy would be a good idea?

Well, I think it could provide some use in the context of government shutdowns and political scenes marked by entrenched gridlock over deeply partisan issues.

In such situations, governments tend to dissolve due to votes of no-confidence and result in more partisan instability through new elections or referendums. Which can be even more divisive.

In Ireland, British Columbia, South Korea and Iceland - as well as some regional councils in the UK - sortition-led citizens assemblies have been tested and found to be successful thus far. I would need to see it tested more thoroughly at the local and municipal level myself, but some high-profile people are seriously suggesting it here in Britain to sort out Brexit:

A citizens’ assembly could break the politicians’ Brexit deadlock | Letter

A citizens’ assembly could break the politicians’ Brexit deadlock

Rowan Williams, Damon Albarn, Ruth Lister, Laura Janner-Klausner, Jonathan Coe, Ian McEwan, Caitlin Moran, Neal Lawson and 13 others propose a way forward

Our politics and our parliament is in deadlock over Brexit. But if we choose to learn from other countries in how we resolve our differences, this could be a moment when Britain comes together rather than falling apart in constitutional chaos.

Looking on, we cannot see how a majority can be found for any proposition in parliament: some want to remain, some want no deal, some want Norway, some want to vote again. The same rifts exist across the UK. Anger and resentment are growing, splitting families, communities and our country. Without a new intervention, the toxic culture which has infected public life will irrevocably damage democracy and the future for us all.

Each of us individually has different views on what should happen next when it comes to Brexit, but we all agree that finding a way forward is vital to restoring faith in our democracy. We are not MPs and we respect the important work they do. Yet we also recognise that there are important ways to help heal this rift and involve the public in deeper and more meaningful ways.

Citizens’ assemblies operate around the world to create a neutral forum for evidence-based, participative decision-making. In recent years, they have been used in Ireland, British Columbia and Iceland, and in national and local government in the UK, as democratic “circuit-breakers” on contentious and complex issues. Taking eight weeks to organise, such assemblies are constructed of a randomly chosen representative group of up to 500 members of the public. They hear a broad range of evidence and arguments on a subject, which they discuss and weigh up before making considered recommendations to their political representatives.

A forum led by the public, not by politicians. People talking and listening to each other, not shouting and arguing on or offline, to find common ground. Not superseding MPs by judging the outcome, but offering recommendations on how Brexit should be decided, to help break this deadlock and start to heal the nation’s bitter divisions.

Brexit has come to test the patience of the British public. To make progress we should instead trust their wisdom and use it to resolve our differences, deepen our democracy and unite us all.

Rowan Williams, Damon Albarn, Ruth Lister Labour, House of Lords, Rabbi Laura Janner-Klausner, Jonathan Coe, Ian McEwan, Caitlin Moran, Neal Lawson Compass, Anshu Srivastava The Full Brexit, Alexandra RunswickUnlock Democracy, Dr Jess Garland Electoral Reform Society, Prof Graham Smith Centre for the Study of Democracy, Francesca Klug Human rights expert, Nick Lowles Hope Not Hate, Anthony Barnett Founder of Charter 88, Michael Wills Labour, House of Lords, Graham Allen Citizens’ Convention on UK Democracy, Tim Hughes Involve, Prof Nick Pearce Institute for Policy Research, University of Bath, Nick Baines Bishop of Leeds, Peter Cross Sortition Foundation

I wouldn't want it to replace representative democracy, rather I see it as an appendage that could make it firmer in foundation, if used proportionately.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
Well, I think it could provide some use in the context of government shutdowns and political scenes marked by entrenched gridlock over deeply partisan issues.

In such situations, governments tend to dissolve due to votes of no-confidence and result in more partisan instability through new elections or referendums. Which can be even more divisive.

In Ireland, British Columbia, South Korea and Iceland - as well as some regional councils in the UK - sortition-led citizens assemblies have been tested and found to be successful thus far. I would need to see it tested more thoroughly at the local and municipal level myself, but some high-profile people are seriously suggesting it here in Britain to sort out Brexit:

A citizens’ assembly could break the politicians’ Brexit deadlock | Letter

A citizens’ assembly could break the politicians’ Brexit deadlock

Rowan Williams, Damon Albarn, Ruth Lister, Laura Janner-Klausner, Jonathan Coe, Ian McEwan, Caitlin Moran, Neal Lawson and 13 others propose a way forward

Our politics and our parliament is in deadlock over Brexit. But if we choose to learn from other countries in how we resolve our differences, this could be a moment when Britain comes together rather than falling apart in constitutional chaos.

Looking on, we cannot see how a majority can be found for any proposition in parliament: some want to remain, some want no deal, some want Norway, some want to vote again. The same rifts exist across the UK. Anger and resentment are growing, splitting families, communities and our country. Without a new intervention, the toxic culture which has infected public life will irrevocably damage democracy and the future for us all.

Each of us individually has different views on what should happen next when it comes to Brexit, but we all agree that finding a way forward is vital to restoring faith in our democracy. We are not MPs and we respect the important work they do. Yet we also recognise that there are important ways to help heal this rift and involve the public in deeper and more meaningful ways.

Citizens’ assemblies operate around the world to create a neutral forum for evidence-based, participative decision-making. In recent years, they have been used in Ireland, British Columbia and Iceland, and in national and local government in the UK, as democratic “circuit-breakers” on contentious and complex issues. Taking eight weeks to organise, such assemblies are constructed of a randomly chosen representative group of up to 500 members of the public. They hear a broad range of evidence and arguments on a subject, which they discuss and weigh up before making considered recommendations to their political representatives.

A forum led by the public, not by politicians. People talking and listening to each other, not shouting and arguing on or offline, to find common ground. Not superseding MPs by judging the outcome, but offering recommendations on how Brexit should be decided, to help break this deadlock and start to heal the nation’s bitter divisions.

Brexit has come to test the patience of the British public. To make progress we should instead trust their wisdom and use it to resolve our differences, deepen our democracy and unite us all.

Rowan Williams, Damon Albarn, Ruth Lister Labour, House of Lords, Rabbi Laura Janner-Klausner, Jonathan Coe, Ian McEwan, Caitlin Moran, Neal Lawson Compass, Anshu Srivastava The Full Brexit, Alexandra RunswickUnlock Democracy, Dr Jess Garland Electoral Reform Society, Prof Graham Smith Centre for the Study of Democracy, Francesca Klug Human rights expert, Nick Lowles Hope Not Hate, Anthony Barnett Founder of Charter 88, Michael Wills Labour, House of Lords, Graham Allen Citizens’ Convention on UK Democracy, Tim Hughes Involve, Prof Nick Pearce Institute for Policy Research, University of Bath, Nick Baines Bishop of Leeds, Peter Cross Sortition Foundation

I wouldn't want it to replace representative democracy, rather I see it as an appendage that could make it firmer in foundation, if used proportionately.
"The same rifts exist across the UK. Anger and resentment are growing, splitting families, communities and our country. Without a new intervention, the toxic culture which has infected public life will irrevocably damage democracy and the future for us all"

And i thought it was just the USA that was losing it. Interesting.