• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaying Hajj Because of Swine Flu!!

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
I've read that Egyptian government delayed Sufi innovations like celebrating Mawalid because of swine flu. Although it was a very good news, I felt that it is a step to delay Hajj and Umra.
Do you think they have any right to delay Hajj and Umra?!

Cordoba

There is an important rule in Islam which says that preventing harm takes precedence over bringing benefits (dar' al-mafasid mukaddam 'ala galb al-masalih)

The harm of death due to swine flu is much higher than the benefit of going to Hajj, as Hajj is an obligation once in a lifetime, if not performed this year it could be done next year

There are also clear guidance in Islam for not entering a town or country with a dangerous and contagious disease, in the Hadith of our beloved Prophet, peace be upon him

We'll have to wait and see how serious the swine flu turns out to be after the summer ends, and if it is as serious as portrayed in the media, then baning elders and children from Hajj would be a wise decision

But let's hope it's not as serious as feared

May Allah cure all those who are ill

Ameen

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
I do understand the Islamic POV. But if it was very serious as they are claiming, Then Why banning Hajj only?! What about football matches, cinemas, theatres, ....etc?

Cordoba

Precautions should be taken in all places with large gatherings, especially closed placed like cinemas and theatres, you're quite right

Not much can be done however in closed basic services like the underground

Let's hope it does not turn out to be as serious as portrayed in the media

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I do understand the Islamic POV. But if it was very serious as they are claiming, Then Why banning Hajj only?! What about football matches, cinemas, theatres, ....etc?

The Hajj is completely different than going to a movie.

At the movie there will most likely be a small number of people from the same area. At the Hajj there are MANY more people from all over the world. The risks of spreading far and wide a contagious disease are much higher for the Hajj.