• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deists, Pantheists, Panentheists Only: the D|P Divide

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I've noticed that my views of Deism and Pan[en]theism differ markedly. For proponents of each:
  • Is there a substantive difference? If so, what is it?
  • Why do you identify with one and reject the other?
Thanks.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I've noticed that my views of Deism and Pan[en]theism differ markedly. For proponents of each:
Well, truth be told, I'm somewhere in between pantheism and panentheism, but I'll give it a bash.

Is there a substantive difference? If so, what is it?
Yep, the biggest being the separation of God and Creation (in deism).

Why do you identify with one and reject the other?
Because I reject the aforementioned separation.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Is there a substantive difference? If so, what is it?
A Pantheist sees God as being one with nature. A Deist sees God as being outside of it's creation.
Why do you identify with one and reject the other?
I find that Deism tends to refrain from attempting to anthropomorphise or attempting to speculate on the attributes of what I see as an as of yet unknowable deity.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For proponents of each:
Thanks.
To me, pantheism has realized the void in all things, and panentheism has realized the void in "I" (inclusive of self) leaving room for a projected "other." Deism can resemble either, but more concretizes the image of "God".

I don't reject any, and don't identify with any (any "-ism"). I identify more with the "mystic" as described by Doppleganger.

On a side note, to be an -ism is to surrender your existence to a label. "-isms" aren't something we are, they are something we engage.

Last edited:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Deist think the universe was created by an impersonnal and unknown creator. Pantheist think universe created itself. Panentheist think the universe is one with the creator, but the creator is transcendent. I call myself a pantheist because the universe exist, but I'm not convinced that holy god/s do. Therefore I've come to the conclusion that the universe created itself.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Thanks.
I'm a proponent of only one.

1. Yes. Deists may entertain the notion of a god that initiated a causal environment back in time. Panentheists don't have that luxury.
2. Only one affords me an image of god worth defying.