• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

deism and christ

syo

do deists accept christ and his teachings? do they view christ as son of god or as a human? do deists believe in the holy trinity?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
do deists accept christ and his teachings? do they view christ as son of god or as a human? do deists believe in the holy trinity?
I'm not a deist, but I would think that God sending his son to Earth to intervene on his behalf would be exactly the sort of divine intervention that separates deists from other theists.

... even moreso if we're talking about a trinitarian approach where the person who takes human form and intervenes in humanity is God himself.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think deists would accept the good moral teachings of Jesus but not any of the supernatural aspects.

Reactions: syo

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

I know this is a concept that's hard for theists and atheist alike to grasp, but a deist God does not interact in the universe, ever, since it's creation.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As @wizanda says Deists do not believe in a proactive god at all. They do however believe the universe had a creator.
If they consider Jesus at all, it is for his moral teachings.
Deism had it heyday during the enlightenment, and around the time of the founding of the USA.
It is a pale memory of itself today.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Deism (/ˈdiː.ɪzəm/ DEE-iz-əm[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/ DAY-iz-əm; derived from Latin "deus" meaning "god") is a philosophical position that posits that a god does not interfere directly with the world. It also rejects revelation as a source of religious knowledge and asserts that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a single creator of the universe.
I often use the descriptor deism to refer to myself. But oftentimes when I read the opinions of other deists I feel the need to add a bunch of adjectives to it to be remotely like clear about my worldview.
I didn't find out what the word meant and find that it resonated, and so "become" deist. It was more like as I learned more and more a worldview emerged for me. When I became familiar with deism, I realized it's closer than any other such label to what I already knew and believed. But if I don't put "Christian atheistic agnostic" in front of deist, people start assuming things that aren't accurate about me, or at least my worldview.
Commonly, I read opinions from Deists like @ThePainefulTruth and find them much too theistic for me. I don't even attribute agency to God, I feel that God is too far beyond human comprehension for such human characteristics to be likely to apply. I see God as more resembling gravity than a superhuman. Perfect, Eternal, Changeless, far beyond planning or choosing or desiring or loving or having emotions.

Or understanding.
The best way to learn anything about God is the rigorous investigation of Creation. Reality. That's called Science. That's how we will get closer and closer to God, rigorously looking for what is true and not settling for what ancient people seem to have believed. Or the little voices in our heads telling us how right we are about what is truly important. Humans just aren't that perceptive, smart, rational or imaginative.

But coming to understand deism a bit lead me to a better understanding of Faith. In the absence of evidence, you can invent whatever worldview makes you feel better and believe it. Once I grasped that Faith is the things people believe because they prefer to live in a world where its true, rather than because there's an objective reason to believe it, I was liberated enough to put together a worldview and eternity that works well for me. As well as getting comfortable with the likelihood that I am quite wrong, because I am just another limited human.
Tom

~To ramble a bit more, I sorta belong to an agnostic religion with only one adherent (me), and one of the fundamental tenets is "This religion is almost guaranteed to be wrong, because the Truth is far beyond human comprehension. Believe, but don't expect anybody else to. ;) ~

ETA. To respond to the OP, I am pretty confident that Jesus did exist. But didn't much resemble the legendary figure in Scripture. I strongly suspect that He was an anti-Roman guerrilla, quite willing to use violence to achieve His ideological goals. The modern words for that are freedom fighter/terrorist. ~

Last edited:

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I am partially deist, but only in the sense that I reject organized and institutionalized religion and I reject revealed religion.