• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Degrees of love

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You sure are unwilling to think.
As I said, very invested.

And you sure as hell are guilty of paying
others to do what you consider wrong,
you are up to your armpits in it,

And up to same in denial.

If you think so, that is your opinion, we do see it differently.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So to me, love grows, I hope so much that ours never stops
growing.

That's been my experience with my wife.

In my experience, no unconditional love is something that arise to those who open up to compassion toward all living beings, i would say it is an ablility

Love can be communicated. If I see love in action, it touches me and helps awaken my capacity to love.

Everything is conditional.

The sun does not conditionally warm the Earth. People can, as it were, hold umbrellas over their heads to block out the sun. But the sun shines no matter what.

In a similar fashion, those very few who can perfectly love continue to love no matter what the circumstances. Not because they choose to love but because it is their nature to love unconditionally.

Audie

Veteran Member
That's been my experience with my wife.

Love can be communicated. If I see love in action, it touches me and helps awaken my capacity to love.

The sun does not conditionally warm the Earth. People can, as it were, hold umbrellas over their heads to block out the sun. But the sun shines no matter what.

In a similar fashion, those very few who can perfectly love continue to love no matter what the circumstances. Not because they choose to love but because it is their nature to love unconditionally.

So glad your marriage is like that..I hope such is in my future.

As for "choose to love", well, I dont think that
is possible.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
unconditionally meaning it is a different kid of love that do not fade

Coincidence? Nice way to describe unconditional Love as a different "kid of love". Jesus said "let the little children (kids) come to me".

stvdv

I am hearing, "I love you more than they do", but I do not believe that love comes in degrees. You either love someone or something or you don't. Am I way off track again?

Like "a little pregnant" ... it's "to Be or not to Be" ... same with Love,

Shantanu

People who live for reward in the next
are the ones living for nothing.

What is the value of a "dharmic life"?
We are led to believe all kinds of dharma (duties and righteous actions) in the Dharmic religions: so I used to develop poultry feed for poor farmers in developing countries thinking I am helping the poor. I got no thanks for it by anyone after publishing 35 scientific papers in refereed journals and writing an incredible piece of research for my PhD. Instead I lost my job and was consigned to a life of poverty until I started getting my long-awaited pensions so I can now barely scratch out a living. So there was/is no dharma that God approves of (proven) let alone humans. No one cares.

Audie

Veteran Member
If you think so, that is your opinion, we do see it differently.

Yes, thst would work so well in court.

"Sure I paid them to cut doen the forest
and kill the natives, but I am not the only one!

And I aint responsible for what others do!

If you jury guys think differently, well, thats like
just your opinion, man, I will never take any
responsibility, no matter what!"

It is odd. The Buddhists I know in China
are intellectual, reflective people who take
seriously their responsibiliy for everything
they do.

You have a really really
long way to go. (Grasshopper)

I wish you well.

Audie

Veteran Member
We are led to believe all kinds of dharma (duties and righteous actions) in the Dharmic religions: so I used to develop poultry feed for poor farmers in developing countries thinking I am helping the poor. I got no thanks for it by anyone after publishing 35 scientific papers in refereed journals and writing an incredible piece of research for my PhD. Instead I lost my job and was consigned to a life of poverty until I started getting my long-awaited pensions so I can now barely scratch out a living. So there was/is no dharma that God approves of (proven) let alone humans. No one cares.
What a mess!

But

What is the value ofva dhsrmic life?

stvdv

Buddha said not to kill animals to get meat, and not to have others kill for you directly.
But the meat in it self is not wrong to eat since the meat is not alive anymore. But there will always be a moral issue on this topic

But the meat in it self is not wrong to eat since the meat is not alive anymore

So we also could eat humans then? If they are dead already, then they serve a good purpose. Now many go to medical students to get sliced up.
I am vegetarian, so I would not eat it, but it does make sense to eat "dead meat". Might solve food problems. Not sure if it's healthy though.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my opinion,
Love is the name of a human emotion and like any emotion it varies in degree's. It is not just on/off. We do as other's have mentioned use the term love for different types of emotions and all of them have degree's.
Interesting. Emotions I feel. I don't feel love though I know I do have it for people and animals. Sometimes, even trees.

Shantanu

I can hardly imagine. You are not seeking empathy
but i really feel for you. I wish I can somehow make
it to have gone differently.
To have searched for God over 20 years and ultimately thinking that I found him as Saguna God but being abandoned to leave me to my own devices which caused me further delusions of being God myself only to find Him to be nirguna (Emptiness) was most disheartening as I did not get my heralded £10 million compensation and damages from the UK government in the Central London County Court.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
People who live for reward in the next
are the ones living for nothing.

What is the value of a "dharmic life"?
Looking for reward, pleasure, or to avoid the opposite, pain, is very human. But a very few have another view. The great Islamic Sufi woman, Rabia of Basra, notably used this prayer:

"O Lord, if I worship You because of Fear of Hell,
then burn me in Hell;

If I worship You because I desire Paradise,
then exclude me from Paradise;

But if I worship You for Yourself alone,
then deny me not your Eternal Beauty.[6]