• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defying God

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If you defy or resist the Abrahamic God, is your fate as bad as Luke's in Return of the Jedi before the Emperor, except there is no Vader to save you?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What if you meet God and ask him questions. Upon receiving the answers, you find out God is different than what you expected, and as a result, refuse to worship him.
I see, but this is very farfetched, and if you're already dead it's kind of too late.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I see, but this is very farfetched, and if you're already dead it's kind of too late.

Nothing is farfetched in the world of KAT. Or in the world of Christian theology (which you might not have to worry about too much anymore since you're Noahide, but just sayin').

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If you defy or resist the Abrahamic God, is your fate as bad as Luke's in Return of the Jedi before the Emperor, except there is no Vader to save you?
What if you meet God and ask him questions. Upon receiving the answers, you find out God is different than what you expected, and as a result, refuse to worship him.

In the background is the thought that God gets angry and smites those who won't give him worship - sort of a super tyrant who is full of rage.

From my side of the table where God is Love, that is not real. Love cannot do anything but express its basic nature which is love. If I get angry and hold up an umbrella to block out the sun, the sun just keeps shining.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
In the background is the thought that God gets angry and smites those who won't give him worship - sort of a super tyrant who is full of rage.

From my side of the table where God is Love, that is not real. Love cannot do anything but express its basic nature which is love. If I get angry and hold up an umbrella to block out the sun, the sun just keeps shining.

I may have problems understanding God.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I may have problems understanding God.
You're not the only one. But to write that puts you ahead of many many who think they know God but really don't. I certainly can't claim to understand God.

It's more complicated because every one has a different conception of Divinity and the world is awash with them.

I could possibly write a book about how I came to my present understanding, but simply I can find it in the teachings of all major religions God; love; kindness; and world religions. | New Church and some Native American prayers.

I find it in the lives of figures from all religions that I've studied whether it be the Baal Shem Tov, Rumi or Ramakrishna.

But perhaps most of all, I find it in my heart as the answer to the my search for what to believe in life.

Milton Platt

Impossible to know. I don't even know if God can read our thoughts, or just sees our actions.

So just a thought experiment. Okay.

You are already assuming more than me by assuming there is a god to read thoughts. But would it be necessary for a god who is omniscient to be able to read minds? He would already know what you were going to think before you thought of it....and he would have known for an eternity before you existed.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So just a thought experiment. Okay.

You are already assuming more than me by assuming there is a god to read thoughts. But would it be necessary for a god who is omniscient to be able to read minds? He would already know what you were going to think before you thought of it....and he would have known for an eternity before you existed.

I never assumed God was 100% omniscient. In fact, I may find it hard to fathom.

Milton Platt

Yes, because we have free will.

I don't believe that is so. we can make choices, but that is not the same thing.
However, if what you saying is true, then one would be more powerful than a god.....because the god's will was superseded by the person making the choice. Of course, the god you have in mind may not be omniscient and omnipotent.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
One way I find it hard to fathom is the whole thing about Satan and his angels rebelling and being cast out of heaven. An omniscient God knows. And he created Satan with all the power and glory and influence and capability to do it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Another way is that some of God's messengers, if they are messengers, have been misunderstood quite a bit, due to a lack of clarification. Each new messenger does little new at times. So an omniscient God would be well aware he has a PR problem but chooses not to act.