• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defining Atheism

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
Atheism: The lack of belief in a higher power or deity

OK, Mickiel? 301? Archer? Is this simple enough for you? No, it is nothing to do with evolution. No, it is nothing to do with hating religion. No, it is nothing to do with making Man a God, or a 'great Nothing', or any other example of the random and utterly unfounded crap that you assert atheism is.

One more time in a bigger font:

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
While they may not be present in definition, they may be present in implication, and lend that support to an argument.

JustWondering2

Just the facts Ma'am
From Wiki -Atheism

Atheists tend to lean towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales for not believing in any deity include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[10] rationalism, and naturalism,[11] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[12]

tarasan

OK, Mickiel? 301? Archer? Is this simple enough for you? No, it is nothing to do with evolution. No, it is nothing to do with hating religion. No, it is nothing to do with making Man a God, or a 'great Nothing', or any other example of the random and utterly unfounded crap that you assert atheism is.

One more time in a bigger font:

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

yep i think we got it.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
The alleged implications are the problem, since you could connect atheism with anything by some varied correlations: communism, humanism, secularism, skepticism, moral relativism, etc. The correlations are incidental and hardly suggest that atheism is anything more than a belief regarding God's existence in a metaphysical sense.

gruggle10

can this computer exist without any person create it?is that logic or acceptable in our mind?just come across in my mind at this moment..

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
You're confusing mechanical and organic design. Mechanical design does necessitate a complex mind, but organic design can come through unguided natural processes.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
I wanna ask you . Do you have a soul?

if yes , can you touch it ? No >> who put your soul in your body ? >>> who creates us ????

if no, are you alive ? are you kinding ....

I am asking the god who creates us to guides us in the right way to him

If I have a soul, it is not permanent, only temporary. Any reflection of personality is never persistent, but adjusts and changes with new information and experiences.

Being able to tangibly interact with things isn't the only way to appropriate things. Conceptual things are not able to be touched, yet we believe with them.

My soul is not due to any one person, it's a conglomeration of various people I have interacted with as a pseudo blank slate, parents, relatives, friends, acquaintances, even people that I've never met except online, such as yourself.

Nothing creates us, we are generating processes that are constantly becoming, we never completely exist as it were, since as Augustine put it, we are born dying.

If there was a god or God that created humanity, it is only divine by perception, but not by any actual sense of transcendence, since it clearly is still immanent by creating biological entities such as ourselves

Would you say that electronic calculators are atheists?

Calculators lack organic brain functions high enough or sufficient construction / programming (Artificial Intelligence) to become self-aware of its own existence that such questions are not even valid to its existence. It is a calculator. It does not think. It is no more an atheist than it is a theist. I am not quite sure what you were intending by the question. That the calculator is designed and created by man and so would have to be theistic (it has a creator)? Even if this was your point man is not a divine creature it could only value us (if it became self-aware somehow) as a parental figure.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
A calculator could neither be considered theistic or atheistic. A calculator can't think and hence hasn't the capability of understanding the concept of god.

To ask if a calculator is atheistic is a meaningless question.

Last edited:

MissAlice

The reason I lean toward agnosticism is people assume I'm one of those militant "atheists" and sometimes I find their extreme arguements just as lacking there in evidence as believers when it comes to subjects involving the metaphysical.

I take it atheism is just a spectrum of people who are skeptics?