• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define "Truth"! I Dare You!

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Truth is . . . never having to say you're sorry.

Beer is . . . having to say you're sorry a lot . . . but not until step 7.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Truth; that which cannot be defined.

Beer; the 5th basic food group.

kadzbiz

Truth - that which cannot be contradicted

Beer - liquid that when drank causes one to contradict everything

EDIT - Gee's, I thought I was first to answer, but when I posted I see a few others got on before me.....:)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
*shakes fist at Cynic*

1. Truth is relative to the evidence at hand
2. Beer is the nectar of the gods

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Define "Truth"! I Dare You!

No using a dictionary, either!

Bonus Question: Define "beer".

Kinda intrudes upon the whole "truth or dare" game , doesn't it? ;-)

Off the cuff (without too much introspection or grinding thought), I would define "truth" as an individual's existential hope/wish that a certain "something" (be it a claim, a belief, or a testimonial) is "true", or evidently factual.

Biological evolution is a an established, evidential fact beyond all reasonable doubt...but not everyone is willing to accept that simple fact as any brand of "truth".

"Truth" is a concept; defined by an individual's perceptions, experiences, knowledge (or lack thereof), ingrained bias/prejudices, and any available substantiations that serve to validate any given/proffered conclusion as an exampled "truth". "Things" that may be evidently "true", do not necessarily comport with a particular idealistic "truth".

There's no compelling evidence of any kind that supports the claim of any particular existent god/deity/cosmic intelligence as being an established, inescapable, proof-burdened "fact", yet many people (of faith-based beliefs) readily assert undeniable claims of written/cultural/testimonial "truths" that defy any aspects of falsification or producible burdened proofs.

I would submit (as a claim) that I am 49 years old. I can readily produce compelling evidences to substantiate that claim as being "true" beyond reasonable doubt.

Big deal.

All I have managed to purport is a readily (and independently) verifiable fact, which may be reasonably accepted as being "true". But my claim, albeit it's status in being "true", professes nor claims any estimable "truth" of interest or import to anyone else (with the exception of people that are picky about the age range of anonymous people they might be willing to date). Colloquially, it might be observed that I am "telling the truth" about my own age in recorded years; but then, many folks choose to draw elemental distinctions between quantifiable humanistic "truths", and faith-based "universal truths" ("God exists!").

Ironically, I never find that I must qualify any distinctions of acceptable "truths" amongst atheists. Within this particular crowd, anything that is established/proven as being acceptably "true", may also enjoy the populist nomenclature/label as a considered "truth". Again, big deal.

It's only when individuals (or like-minded adherents) seek to establish mitigated (or spuriously claimed) "evidential facts" that either defy, or (otherwise) especially plead of special exemption to any/all burdened proofs, that we (as a whole) are then compelled to challenge any specific claims of exceptional (or universally applicable) "truth(s)".

I'm reminded by the words of an historically American iconic ideologue (President Reagan), who famously said; "Trust...but verify".

To "trust" that any claim of "truth" is unquestionably valid, without seeking any substantive verification/validation of that claimed "truth", is to "believe" or wish that the claim should/must be "true"...which is best left to the realm of faith...not evidential fact of positive (or dispositive) proofs/disproofs.

In summary..."TRUTH" is in the eye of the beholder themselves, and "truth" may or may not have any origins in either established and/or compelling facts, or evidential "proofs".

"Truth" is either quantifiable, measurable, testable, or predictable...or it's not.

"Truth" (as a conceptual ideal of indefeasible fact) can only be claimed, or espoused as some idealistic (or individualistically unique) assertion of an especially motivated emotional appeal that likely countermands/supersedes any/all applications of human logic/reason/discernment.

"Beer" is what many Americans call some amber colored fluid with a flavor and aroma not unlike moose urine...which is most notable for it's capacity in heightening stupidity, inducing a false sense of bravado, and reinforcing the notion that NASCAR racing is a "sport" that is exciting to watch.

Smoke

Done here.
Truth is the actual state of things, which we attempt to approximate by weighing the evidence.

Beer is a divine brew that is a suitable accompaniment to any meal. Not to be confused with any product of the Coors Brewing Company, or anything with the word "Light" or "Lite" or "Genuine" in its name.