• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define religion.

Hope

Princesinha
It's funny how the Bible doesn't say much about 'religion.'

I don't consider my beliefs as being simply 'religion.'

The Bible's definition of 'religion' is this--

'Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.' ~James 1:27

Mephideus

I'm giving both definitions because they make sense when presented together.

Religion--a community of sorts of like minded (belief-wise) individuals

Spirituality--the "raw belief" that forms religions...

In other words, religion is the glass and spirituality is the water within it...personally I'd rather drink from a stream...;)

Master Vigil

Religion's etymological roots I believe goes back to latin, where it means "to bind back." From this I delineate that religion is to become at one with the divine, or to return to what is unknown, what is thought to be the divine. Or just to simply find why this world sucks so bad, and try to escape it and make it easier and more meaningful.

Rex

Founder
Here religion is defined :

We define religion as any specific system of belief and/or/without worship, often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Rex_Admin said:
Here religion is defined : We define religion as any specific system of belief and/or/without worship, often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy.
Which, when stripped of its window dressing, reduces to: Religion = Any Specific Belief System - rendering the term entirely worthless in my opinion.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Though I agree with the above statements it also helps to K(NOW) what religion is not:
It is not money. It is not hymns. It is not about following blindly. It is not BEing appointed to a position. It is not a chosen few. It is not confession. It is not about receiving sacraments. It is not ritual. It is not robes or chalices or pews. It is not about looking or acting or worshipping in similar ways. It is not stained glass, candles, or incense. It is not seclusion, segregation, or judgment. It is not pentacles, cauldrons, or crosses. It is not about books, beads, or bangles.

ayani

this reminds me of a chapter of Gibran's "The Prophet". a crowd of people have been asking The Prophet questions all day, questions about children, eating, work, love, death... then someone asked about religion and He replied "of what else have i been speaking to you about all day?"

this is kind of my impression, too. religion is something that goes with you and is within you as well as in the world. it's a seeing of something purposeful in human activities, life, and in the world which is beyond us and with us, too. it is getting in touch with this 'something' with others or by one's self. through scripture, art, pilgrimage, worship, conversation, prayer, and daily experience.

:bounce

Aqualung

Tasty
Deut. 32.8 said:
Which, when stripped of its window dressing, reduces to: Religion = Any Specific Belief System - rendering the term entirely worthless in my opinion.
That's what I think. That would make the "beleif" that my computer will pretty soon be outdated :) as religioun. I think a religion is the beleif that your actions are either controlled by or that you will someday be accountable before a non-human being.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
barnardpi said:
I believe that true religion is a guide for living in a manner that will cause happiness.
I agree, that is certainly an important part of religion in my life. Religion clarifies what will help me attain the personal qualities I believe are 'good' by providing a framework with which to make them habit.

I'm not sure if I agree with the cause of happiness. Something to think upon :confused: