• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Define: "man, woman"!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
"Typically, women have two X chromosomes and are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva.

Male anatomy is distinguished from female anatomy by the male reproductive system, which includes the penis, testicles, sperm duct, prostate gland and the epididymis, as well as secondary sex characteristics.
Man - Wikipedia

Do you agree with those qualities as being part of the definitions : "man, woman"?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
"Typically, women have two X chromosomes and are capable of pregnancy and giving birth from puberty until menopause. Female anatomy is distinguished from male anatomy by the female reproductive system, which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva.

Male anatomy is distinguished from female anatomy by the male reproductive system, which includes the penis, testicles, sperm duct, prostate gland and the epididymis, as well as secondary sex characteristics.
Man - Wikipedia

Do you agree with those qualities as being part of the definitions : "man, woman"?

Biologically speaking, yes.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Let's try to not be far-right extremist conservatives on this issue. In other words, @Rival isn't allowed at this thread...

I'm joking. :D :p You are not an extremist! And you are superior higher rank than I.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
First gender is different from sex. The above defination is the defination for sex not gender. Gender is an internal sense of who you are in regards to your place in society as man, woman, or other. Not all cultures have only two genders.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
First gender is different from sex. The above defination is the defination for sex not gender. Gender is an internal sense of who you are in regards to your place in society as man, woman, or other. Not all cultures have only two genders.
I said define "man, woman".

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Man - Wikipedia

Biologically speaking I would agree with your assessment. With regards to gender however, it’s more complicated.
Differing cultures throughout time have defined the two much more differently.
Take this sketch from the kids show Horrible Histories just for example

VoidCat

Yeah and man and woman refers to gender. Male and female refers to sex. A man is a person who identifies as a masculine gender based on what they see themselves as in relation to culture. Same with with woman just replace masciline with feminine

VoidCat

Yeah and man and woman refers to gender. Male and female refers to sex. A man is a person who identifies as a masculine gender based on what they see themselves as in relation to culture. Same with with woman just replace masciline with feminine
I cant get more specific cuz of how subjective and diverse gender has been throughout time

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Why? For what purpose?

The definition of a word often depends on the context and how it is being used.

Are you going to compile a new dictionary?

Here is a challenge.

Define “Floccinaucinihilipilification”
Like anything, I figured it would be a topic of discussion that could give me more insights. More insight is a good thing, no?

VoidCat

Yeah and man and woman refers to gender. Male and female refers to sex
Ill admit some folk use man and male interchangablely same with female an woman. So biologically you are correct if that's the case. But I see man and woman as relation to gender identity and male and female as relation to sex. So for me you'd be correct if you change man to male and woman to female. But thats cuz im picky on terms.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why?

Is it not up to each individual to understand and be "who they are?"

We seem to be trapped in this notion that our organs (penis, vagina, testicles, ovaries) define who we are -- yet constantly forget that our most imporant sexual organ is our brain!.

I can't say I understand what it is like to have a brain that doesn't correspond to the rest of the body -- but I certainly can say that I accept that the "person" is defined by their brain, and that they are, therefore, who they feel themselves to be.