• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defiant behavior

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I know you probably don't know this being american like me but gypsy is actually an ethnic slur and Romani people have asked people to stop using it. I didnt know either I didn't even know that word referred to an actual group of people. Here's a link on that
The “G” Word Isn’t for You: How “Gypsy” Erases Romani Women | National Organization for Women

Oh boy.

Maybe people should just stop talking all together to be on the safe side.

Edit: btw: "I know you probably don't know this being american"

Is just a derogatory phrase meant to imply that all Americans are stupid.

"Stupid Americans" and why it's only partially true | I want in on this too.org.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Oh boy.

Maybe people should just stop talking all together to be on the safe side.
Um do you know the history of that word? The history is more regarding Europe which is why Americans don't know much about it but it is dark.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There's lots wrong. Such as you are actually hitting a child. It doesn't work and is damaging to children.
Be a man and hit someone your own size who can defend himself.
Or use it properly. In the bedroom where it will be appreciated. Need I say, if it is not welcomed don't do it?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Um do you know the history of that word? The history is more regarding Europe which is why Americans don't know much about it but it is dark.
I would rather not have me and what I do or do not know become the topic of his thread thanks. :)

Edit: Um yourself.

VoidCat

Edit: btw: "I know you probably don't know this being american"

Is just a derogatory phrase meant to imply that all Americans are stupid.

"Stupid Americans" and why it's only partially true | I want in on this too.org.
I meant that most americans dont know about Romani people or even that they had forced sterilization or the racism they have faced including genocide.

I would rather not have me and what I do or do not know become the topic of his thread thanks. :)

Edit: Um yourself.
Ok i don't either. Im not trying to be rude by the way. Im trying to inform you what a group that is highly oppressed in Europe and even has as recently as 2013 undergone forced sterilization is saying in regards to what they'd rather be called and how they view that word as offensive because of how it's been used as a slur against them for centuries. Im just trying to be helpful. If you like i can PM you to better inform. I'd rather as well not get off topic on this thread. If it offends you me saying all this im sorry.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
There's lots wrong. Such as you are actually hitting a child. It doesn't work and is damaging to children.
Be a man and hit someone your own size who can defend himself.
It worked fine for me. The rest is all emotional reaction from a misunderstanding of what I said.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the situation. Such as, my youngest nephew used to frequently resort to telling people either "I hate you" or "I'll kill myself" as a means of gaining control over a situation. Most adults would give in, subject changed, topic reversed and adults left powerless when they'd give more normal responses.
But I'd have fun. "But I don't hate you," "I know," or my favorite following an "I hate you" because he realized well it wasn't working with me and just replied with "EEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!," and all I said was "all right!"
Or another nephew, we was playing a game with family, wasn't winning so the temper and other bad behaviors started amd when he wouldn't stop I got up, picked up his chair and carried him to another room to blow his steam off and rejoin when we calm and able to understand what happened.
I'm also big into letting kids face the consequences of their actions. Throwing a tantrum and slowing things down? That comes from their planned time for doing things because I won't let the others have to stand aside as a tantrum eats away at the time they had for things (this works well at places like theme parks where you may have to divide time up among the kids so they can see/do what they want).

My oldest does those kind of comments sometimes... I tend to grab my chest and mock a heart attack for the "I hate you" family of comments, to which he gets uncomfortable and tells me I look ridiculous(you sound ridiculous, buddy). For the "I'll just kill myself" family of comments, I just remind him of how challenging his younger years were, and ask if he's ready to come back and do it all over again(our family, including him, believes in reincarnation). Put in that perspective, it doesn't seem worth offing oneself just to get out of changing the cat litter.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Funny. I say it worked fine for me, and you say it didn't. I guess you are a god who knows what you can't possibly know?
If someone advocates hitting a child, yes, I'm going on the defensive. It doesn't work. Sure, you say it wasn't vad for you, but a lot of people say that about using alcohol as a sleep aid even though for many reasons that doesn't work either.

VoidCat

Please don't. :)
I wont then. I hope i did not upset you. I was just spreading the word of what I've heard the Romani people have said about that word. I wasnt trying to say you were a bad person for using it cuz i didn't know either until i talked to folk who are Romani and heard their experiences with that word and done a little researching on my own. I thought the same thing you did they were getting offended over nothing until I actually listened and read up on their history.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If someone advocates hitting a child, yes, I'm going on the defensive. It doesn't work. Sure, you say it wasn't vad for you, but a lot of people say that about using alcohol as a sleep aid even though for many reasons that doesn't work either.
It works. Child abuse doesn't.
Everything in moderation.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I wont then. I hope i did not upset you. I was just spreading the word of what I've heard the Romani people have said about that word. I wasnt trying to say you were a bad person for using it cuz i didn't know either until i talked to folk who are Romani and heard their experiences with that word and done a little researching on my own. I thought the same thing you did they were getting offended over nothing until I actually listened and read up on their history.
And I was just letting you know how I feel about sanctimony.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My oldest does those kind of comments sometimes... I tend to grab my chest and mock a heart attack for the "I hate you" family of comments, to which he gets uncomfortable and tells me I look ridiculous(you sound ridiculous, buddy). For the "I'll just kill myself" family of comments, I just remind him of how challenging his younger years were, and ask if he's ready to come back and do it all over again(our family, including him, believes in reincarnation). Put in that perspective, it doesn't seem worth offing oneself just to get out of changing the cat litter.
My youngest nephew, his screams of I'll kill myself were from the same place as the I hate yous. Not serious, he doesn't really hate us, isn't really going to kill himself, but it was his golden ticket to get his way dangling it over his mom and stepdad.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My youngest nephew, his screams of I'll kill myself were from the same place as the I hate yous. Not serious, he doesn't really hate us, isn't really going to kill himself, but it was his golden ticket to get his way dangling it over his mom and stepdad.

With my oldest, he does it to try to intimidate me out of doing his chores. (He has three; scoop the cat boxes every other day, take out any trash as needed, and see that his dirty clothes make it into the proper baskets. Not challenging things.) When he was younger, he'd hit along with his potty talk, but has largely moved away from that(thank goodness, he's bigger than me).