• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending The School With Buckets Of Rocks

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
Superintendent Says Students Are Armed with Rocks In Case of a School Shooting
The superintendent of the Blue Mountain School District is in the spotlight after telling lawmakers in Harrisburg his students protect themselves against potential school shooters with rocks.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone. If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned,” said Dr. David Helsel.

That was Dr. Helsel testifying to the House Education Committee last week in Harrisburg.

The superintendent of the Blue Mountain School District was explaining his unconventional form of protecting the students in their schools in the event of an active shooter situation: give them rocks.

More sensibly, there's a Plan B.....
Blue Mountain does have a maintenance employee who is trained and certified to work as school security and is armed.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are a bit less than 100,000 schools in the USA right now. How many have had mass killings in the past 10 years? How many kids are killed from other causes? How can we get schools to understand basic statistics and rational thought?

Mindmaster

Premium Member

The better argument: Stop sending children to schools.

We have the technology to home school every single child in America, there is simply no reason to subject them to the possibility of a violent environment at all.

The we can stop wasting money on all the protection mechanisms that don't work, the policies, the searches, the staff, and keep all that money in the resources which actually makes people learn something.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

We have the technology to home school every single child in America, there is simply no reason to subject them to the possibility of a violent environment at all.

The we can stop wasting money on all the protection mechanisms that don't work, the policies, the searches, the staff, and keep all that money in the resources which actually makes people learn something.
Homes are even more dangerous than schools.
Home Accident Statistics: Is Your Home as Safe as You Think?
Did you know that more than 18,000 Americans die every year from injuries that take place in the home?

Curious George

Veteran Member

Interesting idea. Socialization is a worry, but it could be dealt with differently.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I am not surprised this is in Pennsylvania somewhere- sadly. As me and my roommate often call this state: Pennsyltucky.

I'm a bit irritated with how Republicans are handling this issue. They shouldn't be disregarding what children think because it doesn't fit their narrative. We need to listen to these kids as a society. We owe them that.

They're taking some initiative about their future, which older people often criticize them for not doing- but now older people won't listen to them.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Interesting idea. Socialization is a worry, but it could be dealt with differently.

If anything, we could argue there is over-socialization... Too much importance placed into things that mean nothing in the end. Besides, it's not like kids are going to stop voice chatting on their games or discord or through phone apps. Also, you do meet plenty of people through activities and family members. The socialization argument in the end doesn't hold water... Home school is pretty much how everyone did it before institutions took over the job, those guys were smart, still are. (Ever read anything the founding fathers read? College? They didn't do college largely.... They still impress me.)

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I
I'm a bit irritated with how Republicans are handling this issue. They shouldn't be disregarding what children think because it doesn't fit their narrative. We need to listen to these kids as a society. We owe them that.

I owe them nothing... They're young, impressionable, and easy to manipulate because they're wet behind the ears. They haven't lived long enough to have a long term understanding of anything or why it works. This is a generation of people who haven't even read a single book outside of school for the most part... Yeah, I'll pass completely on taking cues from them.

I think this way not because I think they're stupid or anything else, but because they haven't lived enough life to have a balanced understanding of anything. They don't have jobs, families, households, or anything else that having a life means. What do they really know of anything? Less than ****.

You know who else used children to sell politics? Hitler. Wrap your mind around that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I owe them nothing... They're young, impressionable, and easy to manipulate because they're wet behind the ears. They haven't lived long enough to have a long term understanding of anything or why it works. This is a generation of people who haven't even read a single book outside of school for the most part... Yeah, I'll pass completely on taking cues from them.

I think this way not because I think they're stupid or anything else, but because they haven't lived enough life to have a balanced understanding of anything. They don't have jobs, families, households, or anything else that having a life means. What do they really know of anything? Less than ****.

You know who else used children to sell politics? Hitler. Wrap your mind around that.

Ah, good ol' Godwin's Law.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Agree 60% with you but suggest a transition period making it optional for any student to work at home from a computer and only come in when they want to or when their parent wants them to attend something in person. Current online learning systems are often slow, buggy and can be very annoying, impersonal, test oriented. A transition period is needed, and in the meantime schools can start computerizing their teaching systems and determining what can and cannot be taught through distance learning. Topics like Shop and Band or Chorus may not work well that way. Considering how bad educational software is and how awful national healthcare software is, we must move slowly towards this goal. It should be a goal that we commit to however. Early grades should not be transitioned I think until the other higher grades are in place for about ten years, so younger kids should still go to school unless they are home schooled. Maybe cut lectures down to 2 and make them a privilege for students in high school. 'Computerization' of education makes a lot of sense. It will not be a comfortable transition but will probably be good for students.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Topics like Shop and Band or Chorus may not work well that way.

These are already gone from the schools in my area, so it's no concern. :D

As for phasing, I just don't think it's necessary at all. There are tons of proven home school programs that already exist. They produce the content already and just need to be funded and expanded. The problem will never be that it's a bad idea, but that the educators and their unions will raise up a literal **** storm. Those unions funnel a ton of money to politicians, so other than to literally just up and do this of our own will the chances it'll happen are nothing. But, I'm not thinking on the five year or ten year plan - this is the way things need to go to be optimal and efficient. These programs will still need teachers, but we probably won't need as many. Technology waits for no one, either way.

2.5 million students in the USA are already doing this, it's not rocket science. :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I want to share a quote that I came across elsewhere today. I thought it was funny and reminded me of this thread:

"listen kids I know u want to stop getting violently murdered by assault rifles but you need to grow up and realize that these guns are essential to my dumbass John Rambo cosplay fantasy where I overthrow the US government bc they raised my taxes or some ****"

Jumi

I'm sure that there's a political point in this, but it gives away an unrealistic view of whoever thought this was a good idea. You don't bring a bucket of rocks to a gunfight.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There are a bit less than 100,000 schools in the USA right now. How many have had mass killings in the past 10 years? How many kids are killed from other causes? How can we get schools to understand basic statistics and rational thought?

Your stats suggest that there have been 170 school shootings since 2010.

How could schoolkids get the gun-lovers to understand that one school shooting is too many?