• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

defending an unorthodox faith

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If this is in the wrong forum (and it may well be) then perhaps some member of staff could move it?

People in my religious community are going to question me now that I have made known my more unorthodox views having always kept quiet about them...

Any tips on holding off their impending onslaught?

I know that I don't have to justify my beliefs to anyone

But I need some help

For inastance, what is the best way to brush off criticisms?

And what is the best way to go about politley rejecting other peoples' beliefs?

Help! :D

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Is it people in your religious community... or is it you in their religious community?
I am the odd one out

I think they already think I'm from another planet

I did used to believe everything they believed

But I have since diverged

So perhaps it has ceased to be my religious community in the way that it once was

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If this is in the wrong forum (and it may well be) then perhaps some member of staff could move it?

People in my religious community are going to question me now that I have made known my more unorthodox views having always kept quiet about them...

But I need some help

You could point out that yours is a considered view, not an arbitrary or willful one.

And that you haven't denied anyone the right to hold such religious views as they feel are proper. You've simply exercised your own right.

And that if God had wanted uniformity of views, [he] wouldn't have allowed Christianity to form into large divisions (Catholic, Protestant, Eastern, Coptic and more) let alone into thousands of subdivisions. Let alone those outside the NT tradition like Mormons and Rastas.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Social ostracism can be rather gruesome if this is a community you feel yourself to be a part of.

I would suggest cultivating friends both inside and outside that community who are either indifferent to your faith or supportive of your choices.

PearlSeeker

But I need some help

Maybe point out what you still have in common and not trying to persuade each other.