• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep Love

Lightkeeper

I saw a statement on the internet today and it was something like the following:

The American firefighters who died on 9/11 were an example of deep love, but so also did the Al-Queda conspirators who went to their deaths for their cause.

I totally disagree with this statement. I will never believe that killing innocent people is an example of "deep love." It may be a deep commitment, but it is not love.

What do you think?

Ceridwen018

I agree with you here, Lightkeeper. The Al-Quaida suicide killers did not act out of love for their country or people. They acted in response to how they felt they were called by their god.

Also, the conspirators died killing while the firefighters died saving. I think that says something.

Scott1

Also, the conspirators died killing while the firefighters died saving. I think that says something.
Very good point.

I don't understand the faith of the suicide killers, so I can only comment on how barbaric and evil their actions are.

Pray for peace,
Scott

Master Vigil

They are just different ideas of love. The al-queda died for their love for their god. The firefighters died for their love for their fellow people. I would say that each is love, but definitely not the same kind of love.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Master Vigil says it like how I feel. Love can't really be defined. There's different cases of "love". I think one is more honorable than the other, however. You can guess which one I'm thinking. ;)

Master Vigil

In their minds, it is love. In ours it is not. To you, it is not love. And you are right. To them, it is love, and they are right. We are making opinions on a subjective term.

tumble_weed

you know what, I'm not really sure...but I don't think it's love love seems to be something more than dying for your beliefs...also who knows why they were fighting fire, hijaking planes...it might not have been for love at all...there's nothing to say that thwy really wanted to fight fires/ crash planes into buildings...perhaps like what Lightkeeper was saying it could be deep hate...but more of a combination of hate and love...Ugh am I makeing sense...chances are no...but take the Al-Queda as an example...they hate america...but would love their beliefs...

Ronald

It's called Delusion/deception! The Murderer Bombers are sincere in their belief.
"Even the most sincere person can be sincerely deluded/deceived." Author unknown.

I do hope we can see that and pray they be enlightened.

Master Vigil

"Deep love is about preservation of life, not annhilation."

That is of course your opinion, and you are right. But they have a different opinion. And they are right. Can you both be right? Of course, you are both right, and both wrong.

"I do hope we can see that and pray they be enlightened."

And they are saying the same thing about us.

Lightkeeper

Master Vigil said:
"Deep love is about preservation of life, not annhilation."

That is of course your opinion, and you are right. But they have a different opinion. And they are right. Can you both be right? Of course, you are both right, and both wrong.

"I do hope we can see that and pray they be enlightened."

And they are saying the same thing about us.
So, what you are saying is killing innocent people is right, if think it is?

Allan

All humans have indoctrinated mind sets and then certain mental prompting takes a person beyond what a concience would normally allow. Actions then take place.

I'm not American but looking from outside the impact of the nation on the world is big. There are alot of issues and power plays going on and it is hard to Know what the truth is.

What say there was a plot to undermine the integrity of the States by lets say Europe then certain circles would change perceptions and allow weaker minded individuals do their dirty work.

Some races have skill that leads to white collar crime and others are more likely to resolve things by violence. An intellectual deviance in one race would show as more basic and physical in another.

It is seen all the time especially among ethnic minorities who feel pushed aside by governments or big business.

America has been desribed as the great Satan by Islamic fundementalists. My understanding of the meaning of that is that satan magnified his self above God.

This seems dramatic but is actually subtle and is self empowerment, self indulgent, self centered. The new wave of self improvement gurus "make millions" is really in the face of many of the poorer people.

We need wealth to improve but to some it is obscene.

It is going to get worse because the hard issues are not being tackled.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"They acted in response to how they felt they were called by their god. "

Allah, our God, my God, does not support this! jeez, have you heard of manipulating religion and God to fulfil your own needs? bin ladin did this! not God!

people need to know the difference between duty and love. its the firefighter's duty as a firefighter should do... fight fire and save lives. its the bombers duty to follow those of his leader, its his duty to bomb the buildings.

you may think its evil, but one mans terrorist is another mans freedom figheter. i think of bush as a terrorist at times.

have anyone seen the movie frailty??? its okay as a movie. but it sparks a lot of debate on morality and stuff. hmm....

Master Vigil

It is right to you, and wrong to someone else. Thats the way it always is.

"you may think its evil, but one mans terrorist is another mans freedom figheter."

I like that gerani.

I just think perceptions and ideas can differ so greatly that absoluteness is very hard to find. We don't have absolutes in morality, only opinions.