• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep frying with vodka

Onoma

Thought I'd drop this here

If you're like me, you're disappointed when you order something like orange chicken and find it to be coated in a soggy coat of batter ( yech )

We want the crispy chicken that stays crispy in the sauce, even after being reheated. After eventually working out a great orange chicken sauce at home, I was still getting the soggy chicken. It was crispy when it came out of the fryer, it stayed crispy for about ....5 minutes, then turned to sog

The trick here, I learned after doing some interneting, is to switch out the water for some vodka

Water develops the glutens in the flour of the batter, this in turn traps the steam coming out of the food as it cools after being fried, this in turn makes the crispy crust soggy

When you use vodka, it doesn't develop the flour glutens, and doesn't trap any steam, plus, it cooks out at a lower temperature than water

This, combined with frying the chicken twice, ( Let it cool before frying a second time ) will result in the crispiest chicken you've ever had

You can literally leave it in the fridge for 2 days, sitting in sauce, and there will still be some crunch when you eat the leftovers

Give it a shot !