• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep Doodoo

Mark Dohle

Deep Doodoo

I do not know what it is like in Europe at this time. But in the United States we are in deep doodoo, (I know we can’t say ****). There is a lot of screaming, not much listening, a growing contempt between those who disagree, and this transgender movement is really causing a lot of rifts in our culture at this time. Which is only one issue, and not even the main one. I do believe that contempt is the first step towards physical violence, and in fact, it seems like the United States is becoming psychotic, myopic, and more prone to language that will only lead us faster into a violent period where there could be outright civil war. Some think we are near that stage already.

Those on the fringe of any group cause a great deal of trouble. I think they believe that negative attention is better than none. Also, the less we listen to each other, the more strident those will become who feel that they are being discounted….and in their rage, become discounters themselves. A strange state of affairs.

In our retreat house, we have some fluid gender people come here for a retreat. They are quiet, respectful, loving, kind, and all they want is to be accepted and welcomed and be allowed to be in silence…. which we do. They don’t scream, or demand, they are simply retreatants, people. I don’t always understand everyone who comes here, yet they all seem to be able to live and work together. I call a man who is more womanlike than man and dresses in such a way that points to the fact that he feels like a woman inside, I will call him, Mrs., or Ms., can’t keep up with all the alt-genders designations out there at this time. I do believe that there are those who are confused about what they are. Men, and women, feeling that they do not fit into society’s two sexes. I have no idea where this is leading. However, to belittle them, to try to silence them, is wrong, and dangerous. How healthy it is for them, or for our society, will simply have to play itself out.

As for as I am concerned, in society, there is a broad spectrum of behaviors that are acceptable, in that they do not cause people to be confused, in how they are to talk to this, or that individual. On a one, to one, basis it is important how we treat each other. What is shown on YouTube, is not always helpful. Since, again, it is those on the fringe who get the attention. Many of whom, I believe, or in deep pain, so to make fun, or to belittle them, is not the logical, or even loving thing to do. Take love out of it, people should be respected, and left alone, unless they are causing harm, to themselves, or others.

The political climate is, of course, a great concern for everyone, but there seems to be no way to get around this split in the country. It has been building for years and could be coming close to a major breakdown of our society……perhaps I am being too negative. Yet, history is filled with societies that have collapsed, why should we be any different?

I do not think the LGBT grouping is a threat to our society. It is how we listen to them, which will decide that. The real problem, a very dangerous one is the political divide, which scares me. There is a reason we have the cliché: “Don’t argue about religion or politics”.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I do not know what it is like in Europe at this time. But in the United States we are in deep doodoo, (I know we can’t say ****). There is a lot of screaming, not much listening, a growing contempt between those who disagree, and this transgender movement is really causing a lot of rifts in our culture at this time.
Which rifts are those?

David T

Premium Member

Deep Doodoo

I do not know what it is like in Europe at this time. But in the United States we are in deep doodoo, (I know we can’t say ****). There is a lot of screaming, not much listening, a growing contempt between those who disagree, and this transgender movement is really causing a lot of rifts in our culture at this time. Which is only one issue, and not even the main one. I do believe that contempt is the first step towards physical violence, and in fact, it seems like the United States is becoming psychotic, myopic, and more prone to language that will only lead us faster into a violent period where there could be outright civil war. Some think we are near that stage already.

Those on the fringe of any group cause a great deal of trouble. I think they believe that negative attention is better than none. Also, the less we listen to each other, the more strident those will become who feel that they are being discounted….and in their rage, become discounters themselves. A strange state of affairs.

In our retreat house, we have some fluid gender people come here for a retreat. They are quiet, respectful, loving, kind, and all they want is to be accepted and welcomed and be allowed to be in silence…. which we do. They don’t scream, or demand, they are simply retreatants, people. I don’t always understand everyone who comes here, yet they all seem to be able to live and work together. I call a man who is more womanlike than man and dresses in such a way that points to the fact that he feels like a woman inside, I will call him, Mrs., or Ms., can’t keep up with all the alt-genders designations out there at this time. I do believe that there are those who are confused about what they are. Men, and women, feeling that they do not fit into society’s two sexes. I have no idea where this is leading. However, to belittle them, to try to silence them, is wrong, and dangerous. How healthy it is for them, or for our society, will simply have to play itself out.

As for as I am concerned, in society, there is a broad spectrum of behaviors that are acceptable, in that they do not cause people to be confused, in how they are to talk to this, or that individual. On a one, to one, basis it is important how we treat each other. What is shown on YouTube, is not always helpful. Since, again, it is those on the fringe who get the attention. Many of whom, I believe, or in deep pain, so to make fun, or to belittle them, is not the logical, or even loving thing to do. Take love out of it, people should be respected, and left alone, unless they are causing harm, to themselves, or others.

The political climate is, of course, a great concern for everyone, but there seems to be no way to get around this split in the country. It has been building for years and could be coming close to a major breakdown of our society……perhaps I am being too negative. Yet, history is filled with societies that have collapsed, why should we be any different?

I do not think the LGBT grouping is a threat to our society. It is how we listen to them, which will decide that. The real problem, a very dangerous one is the political divide, which scares me. There is a reason we have the cliché: “Don’t argue about religion or politics”.
Mark i think historically thats how we function. We arent nearly as smart as we believe we are. We tend to over time to implode, then we go "omg what happened lets not do that again" and over time the cycle repeats. We seem to develop knowledge and mistaken that for understanding.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Perhaps you mean division in the sociopolitical environment? If so, I would recommend this: Transgender issues sharply divide Republicans, Democrats
To clarify in context; From the Merriam -Webster Dictionary:

Rift
"a situation in which two people, groups, etc., no longer have a friendly relationship."​

Since Democrats and Republicans have had long standing differences of opinions and positions on a large variety of issues, their divided views on transgendered issues can hardly be said to be meaningful, i.e. causing a rift. Your linked article even recognizes this.

"Perhaps not surprisingly, considering the widening partisan divide across a variety of issues, Democrats and Republicans have sharply different views on this question."

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...There is a lot of screaming, not much listening, a growing contempt between those who disagree...
Its mostly a baby boomer thing I think and will probably become less of a problem. I think they have trouble separating political stuff from friendships, and it has to do with wars we have been in. Political jaw has always been pretty nasty, so ignore that. There are lots of things people can talk about and have in common if they can avoid making every conversation be about politics. Its all about creating a non political space where you can be in the opposing political party and still be friends. That is what has gotten somewhat difficult. A lot of people, too, seem to have no connection, no sense of grounding. They aren't sure where we come from, have no feeling for the meaning of history. Its easy to just feel like everything is a big stack of words.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Deep Doodoo

I remember reading that in ancient Greece homosexuality was commonplace. It could very well be that our modern society is a bit more hardened than it was there then. I'd have to say that's probably not a good thing.

IsaiahX

Ape That Loves
To clarify in context; From the Merriam -Webster Dictionary:

Rift
"a situation in which two people, groups, etc., no longer have a friendly relationship."​

Since Democrats and Republicans have had long standing differences of opinions and positions on a large variety of issues, their divided views on transgendered issues can hardly be said to be meaningful, i.e. causing a rift. Your linked article even recognizes this.

"Perhaps not surprisingly, considering the widening partisan divide across a variety of issues, Democrats and Republicans have sharply different views on this question."

17795557.gif

Mark Dohle

Mark i think historically thats how we function. We arent nearly as smart as we believe we are. We tend to over time to implode, then we go "omg what happened lets not do that again" and over time the cycle repeats. We seem to develop knowledge and mistaken that for understanding.
Good point my friend. Also it would help if we understood that we are not reallly logical at all, but really have to work at it. We could be seeing a reshaping of our culture, but it may not end up being a demcraticti republic, nor a democracy.

Peace
Mark

Mark Dohle

Its mostly a baby boomer thing I think and will probably become less of a problem. I think they have trouble separating political stuff from friendships, and it has to do with wars we have been in. Political jaw has always been pretty nasty, so ignore that. There are lots of things people can talk about and have in common if they can avoid making every conversation be about politics. Its all about creating a non political space where you can be in the opposing political party and still be friends. That is what has gotten somewhat difficult. A lot of people, too, seem to have no connection, no sense of grounding. They aren't sure where we come from, have no feeling for the meaning of history. Its easy to just feel like everything is a big stack of words.
Well said, and very much to the point. thank you.

peace
Mark