• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decoy Spider

David1967

Premium Member
So how smart is a spider? Apparently, this little guy is clever enough to make a larger decoy of itself to scare off potential predators.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Self-aware spiders.

That's it; I'm volunteering for the next space mission.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Self-aware spiders.

That's it; I'm volunteering for the next space mission.
Don't go! You just need the right spider killing equipment - the right tools for the job.
images

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Save some ammunition for the zombie apocalypse, and for when Starbucks takes over.
With the zombies, won't want running flamers. When it comes to Starbucks, for that I must maximize the pain from torture. I'll need some goats and honey, but no ammo.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
So how smart is a spider? Apparently, this little guy is clever enough to make a larger decoy of itself to scare off potential predators.

Interesting, I found this study that might interest you.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Hard to explain since the spider has to have some idea of what it looks like, also has to understand larger is more frightening.

Why would you think the spider would have to understand this - any more than this gecko knows why it has the skin colouring it has?

main-qimg-5bc3c5e88e7119c4f8262d9bbac3dc07-c

David1967

Premium Member
Spiders always have a plan,the aggressive breeds can be tamed, respond to affection, and are more brilliant than we give them credit for, it's just there is no way to measure their intelligence or get inside their heads.

Yes. Their brains are so much different than ours (ganglia?) Have you ever had success taming the African tarantula called by enthusiasts, the "Orange Bitey Thing"? Those things are absolutely demonic in temperament. I remember seeing one at a reptile expo that jumped out of its container. When the owner was trying to catch it, it raised up, baring its fangs. You could see the tiny drops of venom on each fang. He did catch it without incident though.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Spiders always have a plan,the aggressive breeds can be tamed, respond to affection, and are more brilliant than we give them credit for, it's just there is no way to measure their intelligence or get inside their heads.

Many animals are far more intelligent than people credit them with. I suppose its a way to make those people feel superior

David1967

Premium Member
Why would you think the spider would have to understand this - any more than this gecko knows why it has the skin colouring it has?

main-qimg-5bc3c5e88e7119c4f8262d9bbac3dc07-c

Hmm, Well, the spider has to meticulously and carefully construct the decoy, but does the gecko consciously change to a particular color or is it a chemical reaction that corresponds to its environment?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Well, the spider has to meticulously and carefully construct the decoy, but does the gecko consciously change to a particular color or is it a chemical reaction that corresponds to its environment?

What I was questioning was whether the spider needs to have any "high level" understanding of what it's doing (has an "idea of what it looks like", or can "understand larger is more frightening") or if it's "just" a neurological reaction to its environment.

Another example would be termite mounds, that can be complex structures with with sophisticated ventilation systems, but no termite has the mental capacity to plan such a structure.

Natural selection can produce extremely complex structures and can also produce complex behaviours that produce complex structures - all without necessarily producing any understanding.

David1967

Premium Member
What I was questioning was whether the spider needs to have any "high level" understanding of what it's doing (has an "idea of what it looks like", or can "understand larger is more frightening") or if it's "just" a neurological reaction to its environment.

Another example would be termite mounds, that can be complex structures with with sophisticated ventilation systems, but no termite has the mental capacity to plan such a structure.

Natural selection can produce extremely complex structures and can also produce complex behaviours that produce complex structures - all without necessarily producing any understanding.

Certainly an interesting mystery.