1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decline of Christianity in Middle East

Discussion in 'Christianity DIR' started by Phil25, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Phil25

Phil25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Religion:
    Christianity
  2. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,319
    Religion:
    None
    Christianity as a concept is not up to the challenges of the modern world.

Christians are the most powerful group of humans there has ever been. Unfortunately they are more interested in fuel supplies and next quarters profits than peace and justice.

Tom

3. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein The Uncuckable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,019
    Religion:
    Christian
    It means that Christianity is being destroyed in the place of its birth. It's a great shame and a tragedy. The Western Christian leaders have essentially abandoned them and they won't do anything because how dare we focus on any group except the Muslims and the Jews when it comes to the Middle East.

4. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,319
    Religion:
    None
    Who is up for a Crusade?

Tom

5. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein The Uncuckable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,019
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh, we can't have that. It's not PC for Christians to protect themselves.

6. Sees

Sees Dragonslayer

Ratings:
    +2,833
    Religion:
    Ásatrú - Path of Heroes™
    The ones leaving by choice are using good sense.

7. ChristineES

ChristineES Tiggerism
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Religion:
    Disciple of Yeshua.
    Here in my part of the world, we have a whole lot of Iraqi Catholics living here. Some of them say why they left their home country and it isn't very pretty.

8. Shiranui117

Shiranui117 Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Religion:
    Eastern Orthodox Christian
  9. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,319
    Religion:
    None
    Lots of people in the ME are screaming and dying.

The best thing the USA could do is cut off the flow of petrodollars. That is what finances all the violence. But it won't happen because it would not serve the purposes of the USonian elite.

Like I have said, Christians are the single most powerful group on the planet. They are not in control of everything, but could make a huge dent in the worst of the problems if they cared.

Tom

10. Drolefille

Drolefille PolyPanGeekGirl

Ratings:
    +556
    Religion:
    Unwilling agnostic
    That isn't really how the crusades went. I mean by the 4th they kind of stopped pretending and just straight out sacked Constantinople, ending any real hope of an East/West reunion tour.

Even at the beginning it's hard to argue they were about defense.

11. Bunyip

Bunyip pro scapegoat

Ratings:
    +1,519
    Religion:
    Not religious
    I think that if you looked at most Western countries, the decline would be even faster - although many people still identify as Christians the proportion who are really only cultural Christians would be very high.

In Australia for example while about 61% of the population identify as Christian, only about 5% attend services regularly.

12. Sega

Sega Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It just goes to show that Christianity is just a dying trend anyways that is succumbing to either modernity (secularism) or other religions.

13. melk

melk christian open minded

Ratings:
    +58
    Think the decline of Chstitianity in Middle East is due to the refreshment of Islam faith on fighting as a method of spreading itself along the world. By spreading itself, I also say clearing the world from what it thinks is unjust and opressing.

#13 melk, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  14. Susanpalli,JW

Susanpalli,JW Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Two of Jesus' sayings come to my mind when seeing these events which point to the signs of the last days:

"Men become faint our of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth" (Luke 21::25,26)

"...if they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you..." (John 15:20)

But We shouldn't fear what's coming because Jesus said, "But as these things start to occur,stand up straight and lift your heads, because your deliverance is getting near."

(Luke 21:28)

15. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,014
    Religion:
    Judaism
    The comment by Naoum re secularism is interesting.

16. Phil25

Phil25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Decline in Middle East is not due to Christians suddenly becoming Atheists/Irreligious or converting to other religions, but due to Islamic Extremism and violence by Muslims against Christians.

#16 Phil25, Jul 8, 2014
  17. Phil25

Phil25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Religion:
    Christianity
    Off topic. This thread is about Christians forced to leave M.E due to Islamic Extremism rather than % of Australian Christians attending Church or Decline of Christianity in West.

#17 Phil25, Jul 8, 2014
  18. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    No, it's not. The Crusades was a response to Muslim aggression, gone terribly wrong. This is what the Pope Innocent III said about the soldiers that did this:

"These "soldiers of Christ" who should have turned their swords against the infidel have steeped them in Christian blood, sparing neither religion, nor age, nor sex . . . They stripped the altars of silver, violated the sanctuaries, robbed icons and crosses and relics . . . The Latins have given example only of perversity and works of darkness. No wonder the Greeks call them dogs!"

{cited in Carroll, ibid., p. 158; from Mann, Popes of the Middle Ages, vol. 12, pp. 266-267}

But it most certainly started as a defensive response.

19. Smart_Guy

Smart_Guy ...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,314
    I believe the problem is the people of the middle east. They are vulgar because of the great space of desert surrounding them that naturally give toughness to demeanor and because their countries are corrupt. I know of both these issue, trust me. I am Saudi and Saudi Arabia is the most strict and a huge desert natured Muslim country. Luckily I'm non Wahhabi from Hijaz that is knows with leniency in nature. I bet not many know what Hijaz is :)

Islam as a religion does not condone fighting to change faith of people.

If you rephrase your statement with "some Muslims in the Middle East" instead of "the refreshment of Islam faith" then I would agree with you. Even here in Saudi Arabia, the strictest Muslim country, we welcome Christian expats/residents with open arms. I have Christian friends at work.

If possible, further to the above, ask new Muslim converts around you personally why they converted to Islam. You will be amazed.

You're over generalizing here. Where I work we have many Christians and they keep coming without us giving them any problems. If your idea was true, then we would just bring Muslims.

However, you would be right, or more accurate if I turn to be wrong as I am a human being, if you say Extremest Muslims instead of Islamic extremism and violence by Muslims. I know that many Iraqi Christians unwillingly left their homes because of that. A sad and horrible thing.

----------------------------------

Just my opinion. I hope I gave it with appropriate respect and that you guys don't mind me being honest with you :)

#19 Smart_Guy, Jul 8, 2014
  20. Estro Felino

Estro Felino Believer in free will
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,897
    Religion:
    Pelagianism
    Well, but the Muslims indirectly spread Christ's teachings.
    Better than nothing