• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decline of Christianity and Religion

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You dont find stats informative.
Depends on (a) the care and astuteness in framing the questions (b) the manner in which the poll is taken and (c) the answers you get.

You'll recall the "three kinds of lies" ─ lies, damned lies, and statistics.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm a bit surprised about those last points about prayer and the importance of religion.

5-10 years ago, while Christianity was shrinking overall, it was only moderate or liberal denominations that were shrinking (though very rapidly). Extremist and Evangelical denominations were actually growing... just not enough to make for the loss from the moderates.

For the point about "importance of religion," it occurs to me that there might be a confounding factor: a lot of Christian extremists don't consider their religion to be a religion, so they would be unlikely to say that religion is very important in their lives (but would say that their "relationship with Christ" is very important in their lives).

Hmm.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

My understanding is that a new civilisation is being born with the old ways being discarded and the new ways emerging. We are I believe, witnessing the death pangs of the old ways of thinking and giving birth to new highly evolved methods. So we can see both decline and renewal happening alongside each other as two distinct processes.

We are tearing down prejudices, superstitious beliefs and doctrines founded on faulty logic but at the same time embracing concepts like the equality of women, human rights for all and the oneness of all humankind.

The problem and the crisis which we are being catapulted into is the stubborn clinging to the old ways which no longer serve a humanity which must unite and be at peace or perish. We are all mostly educated now so why do we need clergy? We don’t. This age is more one which is democratic but we see the worst despots desperately clinging to power by the gun. Their time and the age of priests is fast ending.

We have matured and grown up and no longer need our hands to be held. So letting go of the old is the biggest challenge facing humanity I feel. Some are willing even to bring humanity to its knees to maintain the old but in the end they will fail. There is just too much goodness in people.

I believe, true religion based upon love and goodwill is alive and strong and will in the end prevail. True Christianity never died. Loving others is a concept that will live forever. And that is what Christ taught. Christianity as an organisation did stray from Christ’s teachings but true love for one’s neighbour and kind will always live.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is possible that there are more Christians opting for Heaven instead of reincarnation.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Several reasons, here are a couple.

The methods of education have improved and people are now more willing to investigate and ask questions.
Also the internet which allows such inquisitiveness world wide.

I can think of one person who was more religious in a previous life but even though the trappings were Christian, I don't believe the person was born again. In this life the person is an atheist.

Muffled

Jesus in me
In addition to ChristineM's reasons may I add...

Religion in the US has become in many cases politicised - mainly in favour of the GOP - that is not resonating with many young people
Religion is out of step with the majority of people in issues such as Same Sex Relationships, Abortion, Vaccines, etc.
I should add the child abuse cases that have come to the fore.

I believe that makes sense. The more sin becomes acceptable the less likely the person is to be a Christian.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can think of one person who was more religious in a previous life but even though the trappings were Christian, I don't believe the person was born again. In this life the person is an atheist.

Reincarnated as an atheist eh? Maybe something in that...

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
Shocked... Wheredo you live?
Central Nebraska

We are not talking ancient but the fairly recent decline which has occurred over the last 50 years or so.
I understand that. My point was that as concerns our current educational system, while rote learning has its place in getting us to remember hard facts, I think earlier generations were better at teaching the understanding of facts in many ways. I believe the current trend in education is towards realizing a need to reorganize how we teach. A trend which may just lead us full circle back to earlier methods with a modern twist.

Of course not. Without morality humanity would not have developed into such a state that churches were able to establish and grow. Christianity just stole morality for itself, modified it to exclude anyone not christian.
Now what makes you say that Christianity stole morality or somehow modified it to exclude anyone not Christian? Morality, if one has it, is an aspect of human nature not human religion.
Christianity doesn't teach that you can't be moral unless you are a Christian. It simply gives voice to what ,according to Christianity, morality is and where it originates from. I think your mistaken if you think mankind was generally not religious until the establishment of the "institutionalization" of religion.

Get christianity has its teachings.
Yes it does. And when those teachings may concern human nature it is simply placing what that is within its own world view. It is merely defining human nature according to its belief system.

And they are still christian. It is not tour place to judge who is and who isn't christian
I don't think you can be psychopathic or willingly immoral and be Christian. You can claim the label for whatever nefarious or indifferent reasons but that doesn't by itself define you as Christian. Personally I think psychopaths are born for the day of destruction. That's a deep issue. But as for immorality. Any Christian may make immoral decisions at times, according to Christian teaching nobody is immune from making mistakes but to be willingly immoral or indifferent to being immoral is not to be a Christian. Unfortunately the un-Christian Christians outnumber the true Christians and those are what most people view Christianity through. Who ultimately gets to choose who is a true Christian and who isn't? Well if Christians would actually pay attention to their scriptures it tells us. Only God gets to choose. You want to judge if you neighbor is worthy of being a Christian or not? Well that's on you. But you would be wrong to judge and that's coming from God....according to scripture.;)

I agree here. But many christians don't
Unfortunately many Christians I personally believe are ignorant of their own religion.

why do you suppose christianity is on the decline? ...

I think one reason is that it is not taught much anymore. And I mean it is not taught even in Christian congregation. Most priests that I know, are more focused on collecting money and pleasing people than speaking about what Bible tells. And, when people don't know, they are easily misled and also have wrong ideas that can lead them away. This does not mean that all would believe, if just taught enough. This means, when people don't hear, it is not probably that they would understand and if they don't understand, they reject it.

And in addition to that there is not much people who teach, there is lot of sources that preach atheism. Nowadays it seems that it is atheists mostly who tell what Christianity is. And obviously, one can not assume to get correct teaching from person who is basically anti Christian.

But, maybe it is also so that modern people are like this:

But know this, that in the last days, grievous times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, no lovers of good, traitors, headstrong, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power thereof….
2 Tim. 3:1-5

For the time will come when they will not listen to the sound doctrine, but, having itching ears, will heap up for themselves teachers after their own lusts; and will turn away their ears from the truth, and turn aside to fables.
2 Tim. 4:3-4

setarcos

And therein lies the problem, you and other Christians are still classing things like same sex marriage as sin. The younger generation has no problem with this, they call it LOVE.
I'd like to jump in here with a question. First of all, I want to be clear that I don't judge same sex marriages.
I just was wondering that if I can Love another man but am not homosexual, how do we classify homosexuality if not by Love for the same gender? Is homosexuality then classified by the desire to have sex with someone of the same gender without consideration of whether or not love is involved? In other words, don't we classify homosexuality by the desire to have sex with the same gender not by Loving the same gender?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'd like to jump in here with a question. First of all, I want to be clear that I don't judge same sex marriages.
I just was wondering that if I can Love another man but am not homosexual, how do we classify homosexuality if not by Love for the same gender? Is homosexuality then classified by the desire to have sex with someone of the same gender without consideration of whether or not love is involved? In other words, don't we classify homosexuality by the desire to have sex with the same gender not by Loving the same gender?
Is it any different from heterosexual relationships? Just change 'homo' to "hetero" in your question and the answer is the same.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
North America is certainly an outlier in this regard. Europe's many cultures are almost exclusively secular. Noticeably so even in once devoutly Catholic Ireland, Italy and Spain. I don't see this as a bad thing, though I am myself religious, in the loosest sense of the term. Most people feel free to choose there own paths here, on reaching maturity; and that is as it should be, I believe. So long as someone looks after the old churches.

Don't know why you guys are different. Perhaps because your country was founded by religious dissenters? Or maybe religion - Christianity in particular - has evolved into a more saleable product, in the land of the free market?

I think you are spot on. American Christianity is an anomaly and is less about following Jesus (actions) and more about worshiping Jesus (beliefs). Beliefs make a group feel superior and separate, and totally feed the ego, so it's hard to give up. We are very ego-driven in the US, the rugged individualists that we are. It makes a mess. Sadly, they spread their views to the third world and are stoking fires of hatred world wide. Fundamentalist religion and third world culture are a recipe for disaster. People are finally being brave enough to question, and since fewer people are raised in religious homes lately, they have no shame about their own views. This is healthy, IMO.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm a bit surprised about those last points about prayer and the importance of religion.

5-10 years ago, while Christianity was shrinking overall, it was only moderate or liberal denominations that were shrinking (though very rapidly). Extremist and Evangelical denominations were actually growing... just not enough to make for the loss from the moderates.

Hmm.

Those who are more zealous about their religion are loathe to give it up. Those that are less fundamentalist distance themselves from the more extreme groups- although they may still believe the same as they did before-they just don't want the label "Christian." Now we are seeing even the more zealous are giving it up.

setarcos

Is it any different from heterosexual relationships? Just change 'homo' to "hetero" in your question and the answer is the same.
Is that your answer? It seems to be a non answer to my question. I never indicated that it was any different. It just seemed to me that you were putting an emphasis on the Love aspect as having something to do with defining "same" sex marriages. It may be assumed that both preferences get married out of Love for each other (hetero and homosexual couples) but Love is not how we define or differentiate homosexuality. Is that correct?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You dont find stats informative.

Now, now...I never said that.
I don't find these stats informative. Not about the topic in the OP. I do find them interesting/curious but a spike in atheism in 1970 raises way more questions for me than it answers, so without additional context on the method, etc...*shrugs*

I work with stats and numbers a lot. There's a lot more to it than 'stats good' or 'stats bad'.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Is that your answer? It seems to be a non answer to my question. I never indicated that it was any different. It just seemed to me that you were putting an emphasis on the Love aspect as having something to do with defining "same" sex marriages. It may be assumed that both preferences get married out of Love for each other (hetero and homosexual couples) but Love is not how we define or differentiate homosexuality. Is that correct?
Apologies, I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
What is wrong with consensual casual sex?