• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Declaration of the Bab May 22nd-23rd:

arthra

Baha'i
The Anniversary of the Declaration of the Bab two hours after sunset May 22nd- May 23rd 1844/1260 AH, a Baha'i Holy Day will soon be upon us and here is a video with scenes from the places where the events unfolded and excerpts from Nabil's Narrative otherwise known as The Dawn Breakers:

Declaration of the Bab

arthra

Baha'i
"Whom, after Siyyid Kazim," He asked me, "do you regard as his successor and your leader?" "At the hour of his death," I replied, "our departed teacher insistently exhorted us to forsake our homes, to scatter far and wide, in quest of the promised Beloved. I have, accordingly, journeyed to Persia, have arisen to accomplish his will, and am still engaged in my quest."

"Has your teacher," He further enquired, "given you any detailed indications as to the distinguishing features of the promised One?" "Yes," I replied, "He is of a pure lineage, is of illustrious descent, and of the seed of Fatimih. As to His age, He is more than twenty and less than thirty. He is endowed with innate knowledge. He is of medium height, abstains from smoking, and is free from bodily deficiency." He paused for a while and then with vibrant voice declared: "Behold, all these signs are manifest in Me!" He then considered each of the above-mentioned signs separately, and conclusively demonstrated that each and all were applicable to His person....

- p. 57 The Dawn-Breakers (Nabil's Narrative)

arthra

Baha'i

The house of the Bab in Shiraz, Iran, where the Bab announced that He had come to herald a new age for humanity, was destroyed by Revolutionary Guardsmen in 1979. It was one of the most holy sites to Baha'is.

HAIFA, Israel —

May 23 marks the anniversary of the night in 1844 when a young man in Persia named Siyyid Ali-Muhammad quietly announced that He was a Messenger of God, come to herald a new age for the world of humanity that would fulfill prophecy for Christians, Muslims, and followers of other religions.
For the people who are now Baha'is, it was the birth of their religion.

Baha'i communities around the world celebrate the anniversary with special devotional programs and gatherings on the evening of May 22. Believers suspend work, and children and youth take off from school.

A 25-year-old merchant at the time of His declaration in 1844, Siyyid Ali-Muhammad became known as the Bab, which is Arabic for "gate." He said His mission was to prepare the way for a universal Messenger of God who would soon appear, as predicted in the scriptures of the world's major religions. One of the followers of the Bab, later known as Baha'u'llah, announced in 1863 that He was that Messenger.

Baha'is consider both the Bab and Baha'u'llah to be founders of their faith.
The Bab's declaration of His station was made in the city of Shiraz in what is now Iran. He almost immediately attracted a large following, which governmental and religious authorities found threatening. Some 20,000 of His followers were killed, and the Bab Himself was executed by firing squad in 1850 in the northern Iranian city of Tabriz.
His remains are entombed in Haifa in a beautiful, golden-domed shrine surrounded by gardens on the side of Mount Carmel.

Marco19

Researcher
Hello Artha!

Just wondering whether they are some special events (devotion/music) prepared for this day? or it depends on the local communities and how they organize it?

arthra

Baha'i
Hello Artha!

Just wondering whether they are some special events (devotion/music) prepared for this day? or it depends on the local communities and how they organize it?

Actually Marco it can vary from community to community.. Some communities have talented members who commonly sing or play guitar .. piano or other instruments.

babroom.jpg

The Declaration of the Bab is also mostly celebrated about two hours after sunset on May 22nd as this was believed to be the actual time when the Bab revealed Himself to Mullah Husayn His devoted follower and first to recognize Him in His home in Shiraz which was demolished after the last revolution.

[youtube]8YwhsIbv07I[/youtube]
YouTube - Pilgrimage to the House of the Bab in Shirazi

There are also commonly prayers recited that were specifically revealed for the occasion..

arthra

Baha'i
"In the year one thousand two hundred and sixty [A.H.], when He was in His twenty-fifth year, certain signs became apparent in His conduct, behavior, manners, and demeanor whereby it became evident in Shiraz that He had some conflict in His mind and some other flight beneath His wing. He began to speak and to declare the rank of Bab-hood.* Now what He intended by the term Bab [Gate] was this, that He was the channel of grace from some great Person still behind the veil of glory, Who was the possessor of countless and boundless perfections, by Whose will He moved, and to the bond of Whose love He clung. And in the first book which He wrote in explanation of the Surih of Joseph,* He addressed Himself in all passages to that Person unseen from Whom He received help and grace, sought for aid in the arrangement of His preliminaries, and craved the sacrifice of life in the way of His love.
Amongst others is this sentence:

"O Remnant of God, I am wholly sacrificed to Thee; I am content with curses in Thy way; I crave naught but to be slain in Thy love; and God the Supreme sufficeth as an Eternal Protection."

He likewise composed a number of works in explanation and elucidation of the verses of the Qur'án, of sermons, and of prayers in Arabic; inciting and urging men to expect the appearance of that Person; and these books He named "Inspired Pages" and "Word of Conscience." But on investigation it was discovered that He laid no claim to revelation from an angel.

Now since He was noted amongst the people for lack of instruction and education, this circumstance appeared in the sight of men supernatural.

Some men inclined to Him, but the greater part manifested strong disapproval; whilst all the learned doctors and lawyers of repute who occupied chairs, altars, and pulpits were unanimously agreed on eradication and suppression, save some divines of the Shaykhi party who were anchorites and recluses, and who, agreeably to their tenets, were ever seeking for some great, incomparable, and trustworthy person, whom they accounted, according to their own terminology, as the "Fourth Support" and the central manifestation of the truths of the Perspicuous Religion.

Of this number Mulla Husayn of Bushruyih, Mirza Ahmad of Azghand, Mulla Sadiq Muqaddas [the Holy], Shaykh Abu-Turab of Ishtihard, Mulla Yusuf of Ardibil, Mulla Jalil of Urumiyyih, Mulla Mihdi of Kand, Shaykh Sa'id the Indian, Mulla 'Ali of Bastam, and the like of these came out unto Him and spread themselves through all parts of Persia."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 3

arthra

Baha'i
Overwhelmed with His acts of extreme kindness, I arose to depart. "The time for evening prayer is approaching," I ventured to observe. "I have promised my friends to join them at that hour in the [mosque]." With extreme courtesy and calm He replied: "You must surely have made the hour of your return conditional upon the will and pleasure of God. It seems that His will has decreed otherwise. You need have no fear of having broken your pledge." His dignity and self-assurance silenced me. I renewed my ablutions and prepared for prayer. He, too,stood beside me and prayed.... It was about an hour after sunset when my youthful Host began to converse with me. "Whom, after Siyyid Kázim," He asked me, "do you regard as his successor and your leader?" "At the hour of his death," I replied, "our departed teacher insistently exhorted us to forsake our homes, to scatter far and wide, in quest of the promised Beloved. I have, accordingly, journeyed to Persia, have arisen to accomplish his will, and am still engaged in my quest." "Has your teacher," He further enquired, "given you any detailed indications as to the distinguishing features of the Qá'im?" "Yes," I replied, "He is of a pure lineage, is of illustrious descent, and of the seed of Fátimih. As to His age, He is more than twenty and less than thirty. He is endowed with innate knowledge. He is of medium height, abstains from smoking, and is free from bodily deficiency." He paused for a while and then with vibrant voice declared: "Behold, all these signs are manifest in Me!"

Nabils's Narrative The Dawn Breakers, p. 55-77

arthra

Baha'i
Proclamation

In his early writings, the Báb appears to identify himself as the gate (báb) to the Hidden Twelfth Imam, and later he begins to explicitly proclaim his station as that of the Hidden Imam and a new messenger from God.[15] Rather than being a discontinued or evolving consciousness, Saiedi states that the works of the Báb is unitary throughout, and that the gradual disclosure of the Báb's identity is defined by the principle of unity in diversity of all reality.[15]

The Báb stood on this pulpit in the Masjid-i-Vakíl, addressing the populace of Shiraz in September 1846

In the Báb's early writings, the exalted identity he was claiming was unmistakable, but because of the reception of the people, his writings appear to convey the impression that he is only the gate to the Hidden Twelfth Imam.[15] To his circle of early believers, the Báb was equivocal about his exact status, gradually confiding in them that he was not merely a gate to the Hidden Imam, but the Manifestation of the Hidden Imam and the Qa'im himself.[16] During his early meetings with Mullá Husayn, the Báb described himself as the Master and the Promised One; he did not consider himself just Siyyid Kazim's successor, but claimed a prophetic status, with a sense of deputyship delegated to him not just from the Hidden Imam, but from Divine authority;[17] His early texts, such as the Commentary on the Surih of Joseph, used Quranic language that implied divine authority and identified himself effectively with the Imam.[7][18] When Mullá `Alí Basṭámí, the second Letter of the Living, was put on trial in Baghdad for preaching about the Báb, the clerics studied the Commentary on the Surih of Joseph, recognized in it a claim to divine revelation, and quoted from it extensively to prove that the author had made a messianic claim.[18]