• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DECENCY, STATUES, AND GEORGE WASHINGTON – WHY TRUMP IS WRONG ABOUT THEM ALL

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really. Slavery didn't have anything to do with capitalism. It was based on the old aristocratic privilege world view. Some people were entitled to service and others forced to do the servicing.

That didn't stop the slaveholders from appealing to capitalist ideas when it suited. They complained that Emancipation was "being deprived of property without due process". Sorta like the racists inventing "social darwinism".
Tom

Well, yes and no. America's Founders were very much against aristocratic privilege or any kind of "divine right." Many slave owners were not Blue Bloods at all; they were just ordinary peasant stock who happened to be in the right place at the right time. That's a part of Americana, how ordinary peasants came over here and carved a nation of prosperity and wealth out of a wilderness. That's very much the kind of rags-to-riches story used to boost capitalism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, this would make sense. I was only addressing the earlier poster's contention about which racial/ethnic group should be "blamed," while I was pointing out that it might be better to blame those who embrace certain political beliefs or engage in certain kinds of behaviors.
Good. Don't attack us capitalists.
We've limericks, & we're not afraid to use'm!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm watching a TV show about the Parthenon. It's very interesting how sophisticated their engineering prowess was, but there's something relevant to this thread.....
- It was decorated with swastikas.
- Offended Christians removed the pagan gods.

In our modern context, looking at the destruction the building has endured, & what has survived, we
should ask ourselves if we really want to destroy historical symbols just because they offend us at the
moment? Xians & the Taliban have been moved to destroy such things, & we decry those acts.
Remember that our current taking of offense is ephemeral.

gnomon

Thank you for your contribution to what the increasing number of responses considers a useful thread.

Your welcome!

Thank you.

Yeah........this thread was so ****ing educational.

And your response made it so much more educational. Please provide more...........

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I've already explained it to you. This is not a mathematical proof. You can choose not to accept it. I do not need to further expand on this. Culture is dynamic from region to region, from individual to individual. If you feel no need for an Asian culture than that's your right. In my area and within my experience there is definitely an Asian culture. All you can do is take or not take my word for it and it can end there.
From what you are saying, it seems that there are many different asian cultures ... and that is my argument. White culture doesn't exist because there are so many different varieties of cultures that are caucasian. But, there is no real white culture that unites them.