• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decades Old Mystery Solved: A “New Kind of Electrons”

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The title is somewhat misleading, but it's an interesting article.

ScitechDaily is usually very good, but I think some of their writers take editorial liberties, and are misleading. I believe it describes a particular electron behavior under certain conditions.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
ScitechDaily is usually very good, but I think some of their writers take editorial liberties, and are misleading. I believe it describes a particular electron behavior under certain conditions.
Quite often the title of an article is not written by the author. An editor will make up a title with more punch. Those titles are often wrong.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The title is somewhat misleading, but it's an interesting article.
The abstract seems to indicate it is about plasmons, I assume arising in the network of conjugated π -electrons in each graphite layer (?). It mentions that exciting plasmons leads to states in which they acquire some σ* (i.e. σ antibonding) character - hence the reference to "hybridisation" - which obviously alters the symmetry of the state.

I don't remember nearly enough to follow how this leads to emission of electrons, though. They don't say these are Auger electrons and there is no mention of an X-ray source, so I am wondering what they use to excite these plasmons. Without knowing that I can't really work out what is going on.

But the title is nonsense, of course. These are plain old vanilla electrons: there is no other sort. The discovery is the mechanism by which they are emitted from graphite, when stimulated by whatever process it is they use.