• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dec 11th thoughts

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have the option of getting a counselor if I decide I need it. It's an interesting thought, really. I value most psychiatrists and their opinion, they are very well qualified. But well, the first time I pursued counseling from a program, I'm talking counselors not psychiatrists, I was given a counselor younger than I am, who seemed to understand the world less than me. They had a very "go with whatever you think is best" idea of things, but told me they were rooting for me. It was nice and all, kind of like a paid friend I guess, but not really what I'm looking for, if I do decide to try my luck with a counselor again.

There exists a certain disconnect from me and the world, and I'd hope the counselor would be wise enough to understand that. For example, I don't typically experience much grief, rather I experience random thought loops that occasionally get stuck, and intrusive thoughts. It was thought by a family member that I was still dealing with the death of another family member which happened some years ago and still trying to cope with it. When that's not what I deal with in terms of anxiety. Sure I miss the person who has passed away, but now a source of anxiety is that my family became more conservative since then, while I've either stayed the same or become more progressive. My family's way of dealing with problems is worshipping God, becoming more Christian, and kind of expecting others they care about to do the same. My way of dealing with problems is saying "That's life", getting a soda, and hoping after the funeral we can seek to forget about it, not bringing it up too much. I exist on my own wavelength - sometimes I thank people for being there and not getting involved, and sometimes I become damaged in people, not fully understanding of me, trying to improve/"fix" me instead.

As far as counselors go, I would want someone streetsmart when it comes to the world and with experience, or if they are just booksmart, that they can just give me the raw data on improving thought-processes which they learned in college rather than trying to go on some goose-chase for "grief" in me in areas where there isn't any like my family does.

I mean, I mostly just see the world as a giant comedy book with people with under 8-12 years college experience as thinking they can "help" you in some complex field, as often having to role-play to an extent, much like I sometimes feel uncomfortable and have to role-play a person whose mind doesn't cut through his own and other's double standards, and who isn't counting by the power of 2 and thinking about technology and where my next soda is coming from and my increasing affection of Lord Vishnu as the counselor talks to me about my feelings and family members passing away and what they supposedly meant to me and how important family is, and how important family and traditional values are to them.

dianaiad

.... My way of dealing with problems is saying "That's life", getting a soda, and hoping after the funeral we can seek to forget about it, not bringing it up too much. I exist on my own wavelength - sometimes I thank people for being there and not getting involved, and sometimes I become damaged in people, not fully understanding of me, trying to improve/"fix" me instead...

This is not to disparage the rest of your post in any way, or even to comment upon it, actually; your feelings about 'counseling' are certainly yours, and when it comes down to it, I share them more than not. However, when I read the above sentence I was struck by the contradiction in what you said about how your relatives/friends view you as not having dealt with the death of some one, and what you just stated.

It seems to me that you have just proven the point your friends/relatives are making....but at the same time, you are expressing what counselors I have encountered have told me to do.

When my husband died, over 25 years ago, everyone seemed bound and determined to help me 'get over' it....as if one COULD get over watching your spouse of 20 years die over the course of a year and a half and 'get over it' by 'getting a soda and hoping after the funeral we can seek to forget about it, not bringing it up too much." Certainly the 'grief counselor' I saw for a bit thought that after three months I should stop mourning and 'get out there' more. I stopped seeing that grief counselor, btw. I wondered at the time how some 26 something single guy could possibly understand what it was like to be 45, with 5 kids, who'd just had the husband she'd nursed for over a year up and die on her. "Bring it up too much?" How much is too much? How much too little?

I have news. One does NOT 'get over it." One lives one's life and allows new experiences to soften the edges, until it doesn't feel strange to smile, laugh and have fun again.

I'm supposed to be seeing a counselor right now; one that is supposed to help me through my own dying process.

I don't think so. I mean, really...how in the world is some 'counselor' supposed to help ME deal with THAT? S/he has experience with it, perhaps? Been there, done that, has come back to tell me about it?

On the other hand, someone who can help me through stuff in which s/he DOES have experience, understanding and empathy as well as training? OK. Someone who can tell the difference between honest grief and honest attempts to deal with circumstances...and real clinical depression involving chemical imbalances that can be helped with medication? I think those folks are called psychiatrists, actually. What I don't see, and can't see going to, are people who think that everything and everybody should be happy happy joy joy all the time and if they aren't, here's a pill.

As for you, Kat Kat, from my own very personal experiences that have nothing at all to do with any medical training or expertise (since I have none of either...just a bunch of years and life lived) It's GOOD to mourn; to "bring it up' when you miss someone, to remember and to celebrate, or be sad, or to find something about them that is relevant to your own life. If you don't, you don't allow life to rub away the sharp bits of that remembrance, and later in life you end up having those 'thought loops' ambushing you.

Just my thoughts, having been there and all.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have the option of getting a counselor if I decide I need it. It's an interesting thought, really. I value most psychiatrists and their opinion, they are very well qualified. But well, the first time I pursued counseling from a program, I'm talking counselors not psychiatrists, I was given a counselor younger than I am, who seemed to understand the world less than me. They had a very "go with whatever you think is best" idea of things, but told me they were rooting for me. It was nice and all, kind of like a paid friend I guess, but not really what I'm looking for, if I do decide to try my luck with a counselor again.

There exists a certain disconnect from me and the world, and I'd hope the counselor would be wise enough to understand that. For example, I don't typically experience much grief, rather I experience random thought loops that occasionally get stuck, and intrusive thoughts. It was thought by a family member that I was still dealing with the death of another family member which happened some years ago and still trying to cope with it. When that's not what I deal with in terms of anxiety. Sure I miss the person who has passed away, but now a source of anxiety is that my family became more conservative since then, while I've either stayed the same or become more progressive. My family's way of dealing with problems is worshipping God, becoming more Christian, and kind of expecting others they care about to do the same. My way of dealing with problems is saying "That's life", getting a soda, and hoping after the funeral we can seek to forget about it, not bringing it up too much. I exist on my own wavelength - sometimes I thank people for being there and not getting involved, and sometimes I become damaged in people, not fully understanding of me, trying to improve/"fix" me instead.

As far as counselors go, I would want someone streetsmart when it comes to the world and with experience, or if they are just booksmart, that they can just give me the raw data on improving thought-processes which they learned in college rather than trying to go on some goose-chase for "grief" in me in areas where there isn't any like my family does.

I mean, I mostly just see the world as a giant comedy book with people with under 8-12 years college experience as thinking they can "help" you in some complex field, as often having to role-play to an extent, much like I sometimes feel uncomfortable and have to role-play a person whose mind doesn't cut through his own and other's double standards, and who isn't counting by the power of 2 and thinking about technology and where my next soda is coming from and my increasing affection of Lord Vishnu as the counselor talks to me about my feelings and family members passing away and what they supposedly meant to me and how important family is, and how important family and traditional values are to them.

In my very limited experience with psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, through personal stuff or work (I was a school counselor for a bit.) there was one thing that seemed a constant. That was that the folks who seemed more effective had the ability to truly listen. They also understood diversity. People simply do not all grieve in similar ways. People do not think in similar ways. Some people do 'get over it' while others never do. We're all wired incredibly differently, and the good counselor recognises this, never putting some pre-set notions or generalisations on how stuff 'should be'.

The mystic Hindu, for example, will take his emotional challenges, stand in front of the deity, and mentally bring it all up along the spine, prostrate, and release it in front of the deity for the deity to dissolve in the sands of time.

Best wishes.