• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Debunking" other people belief in different religious teachings.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Jesus said to fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna. (Matt 10:28)
A healthy fear of God is a good thing and anihilationism also is a good way to create that fear.
Seems that he was a dooms-day preacher. Why at all, a person should be in fear?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Which verses are you thinking about in the bible when you say "but that is not what their scriptures say"?
Romans 12:18: “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.”
Depends what you mean? Which specific area of knowledge ? We have Christians who are pilots , Doctors , teachers ,lawyers, scientists, ect.
What Does the Bible Say About Preach The Good News?
"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you! And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be thrown down to Hades! For if the miracles done among you had been done in Sodom, it would have continued to this day. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for the region of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you!"https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+11:20–24&version=NRSV
Perhaps Conscious Thoughtws knows what I mean. Are Christians the only ones to be pilots, doctors, teachers, lawyers, scientists, etc.!

John1.12

Free gift
"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you! And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be thrown down to Hades! For if the miracles done among you had been done in Sodom, it would have continued to this day. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for the region of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you!"
Perhaps Conscious Thoughtws knows what I mean. Are Christians the only ones to be pilots, doctors, teachers, lawyers, scientists, etc.!
That verse is not about The Gospel or sharing it today ..have you read the New Testament?

John1.12

Free gift
"Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you! And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be thrown down to Hades! For if the miracles done among you had been done in Sodom, it would have continued to this day. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for the region of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you!"
I didn't say 'only '??

Brian2

Veteran Member
Seems that he was a dooms-day preacher. Why at all, a person should be in fear?

Someone who believes in God and an afterlife does not want to be destroyed. Someone who does not believe would presumably just shrug off the whole idea.
I do encounter people, unbelievers, who accuse people who mention the Biblical concept of a God who judges us and executes the judgement, of threatening them. They do not seem to like it at all.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yes I've had that experience w/ JW's but I've also had it w/ virtually everyone I've ever met --except my wife maybe, but w/ her what happens is we find our two contrasting different opinions & we both endeavor to see how the other person comes up w/ their particular notion. After that it's a matter of agreement, or respecting the other's variant take, more discussion, or an agreement to table the topic.

W/ folks I run into on these threads the situation I run into is I'm declared "wrong" in accordance w/ some kind of Deity or something.

Discussing spiritual stuff is not something my wife and I engage in.
If you are a Baha'i I would declare you wrong because of what you might say the Bible means,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on a purely logical basis of course.

Pete in Panama

Discussing spiritual stuff is not something my wife and I engage in.
If you are a Baha'i I would declare you wrong because of what you might say the Bible means,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on a purely logical basis of course.
lol!!! --so I'm in trouble for what I "might" and don't say. How about maybe you heard what I do say, my bet's that we'd be well pleased w/ all that we agree on.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That verse is not about The Gospel or sharing it today ..have you read the New Testament?
Some recently edited version of your scripture. Yeah, read it some decades ago. Have you made some changes in it now, or have radically changed the whole?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Someone who does not believe would presumably just shrug off the whole idea. .. They do not seem to like it at all.
Yeah, as an atheist, I find the story and the idea completely silly. There is nothing in it to be liked, it is 2000 year old ignorance.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Are we doing the right action or speech when we tell others, your religion or faith is false or wrong
IF God is almighty and created everything THEN He also created "some go around telling others their religion is wrong"

Would it be right to doubt that God almighty messed up His Creation?

I rather stick to the question: Is it right that I tell others that their faith is wrong?
I avoid putting it like "Is it right that we....."

IF someone does impose such thing on me though, I might reply "You decide what is right for you, and I do the same for me. If you continue I go"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
IF God is almighty and created everything THEN He also created "some go around telling others their religion is wrong"

Would it be right to doubt that God almighty messed up His Creation?

I rather stick to the question: Is it right that I tell others that their faith is wrong?
I avoid putting it like "Is it right that we....."

IF someone does impose such thing on me though, I might reply "You decide what is right for you, and I do the same for me. If you continue I go"
I can not speak for Allah:)

Brian2

Veteran Member
lol!!! --so I'm in trouble for what I "might" and don't say. How about maybe you heard what I do say, my bet's that we'd be well pleased w/ all that we agree on.

No you're not in trouble, just the teachings of Baha'u'llah and Baha'i concerning the Bible and Jesus.
Indeed we might be pleased with what we agree on.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Yeah, as an atheist, I find the story and the idea completely silly. There is nothing in it to be liked, it is 2000 year old ignorance.

It is revelation from the living God and nothing we have discovered in the meantime shows it to be ignorance.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Are religious people supposed to go around "debunking" other peoples belief just because we believe differently than they do?

Are we doing the right action or speech when we tell others, your religion or faith is false or wrong, because i can not accept what you believe in? Did we truly check our own belief or faith in what we claim to believe our self? Do we truly understand the teaching enough to discredit others ?
Did we do enough our self to be the "right" owner of the TRUTH ?

I know for my self and what i believe in that my understanding of the teaching is in a constant change because i learn something new or understand something new mostly every day. That to me tells me that i will not be fully "corect" in my belief for a long long time. Only when i have reached the end of the wisdom and can no longer learn more will i be able to say now i "know" but still then, Can i be sure i actually know and understand it all?

Hi my friend. I think here it’s important to be more specific. To me religion is the most beautiful gift to humanity, full of spiritual truths and enlightenment.

For example from the Dhammapada :

A man may conquer ten times ten thousand men in battle but the true conquerer is he who conquers his own self.

From the Bible

Love thy neighbour as thyself, love one another.

So even an atheist can accept these things. How can I deny the truth of any of these Words? There is so much truth and wisdom in all the sacred scriptures, we can learn from all of them and apply any of them to our lives. I learn from all the religions as I consider them all true and part of my belief.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Are religious people supposed to go around "debunking" other peoples belief just because we believe differently than they do?

Are we doing the right action or speech when we tell others, your religion or faith is false or wrong, because i can not accept what you believe in? Did we truly check our own belief or faith in what we claim to believe our self? Do we truly understand the teaching enough to discredit others ?
Did we do enough our self to be the "right" owner of the TRUTH ?

I know for my self and what i believe in that my understanding of the teaching is in a constant change because i learn something new or understand something new mostly every day. That to me tells me that i will not be fully "corect" in my belief for a long long time. Only when i have reached the end of the wisdom and can no longer learn more will i be able to say now i "know" but still then, Can i be sure i actually know and understand it all?

I believe what Solomon says: Prov. 10:17 Accept correction,
and you will find life;
reject correction,
and you will miss the road.

Muffled

Jesus in me
When I see 'religious' people do this, it usually comes from a desire to proselytize. They usually feel that in their proselytizing, they are holding the right beliefs or actions. It never occurs to them that they could be incorrect, or not understanding the entire 'truth'.

They hope by debunking a person's faith, that person will have to see things their way, and come to their faith.

I believe there are some who like to chalk up numbers but I am not one of them. I speak the truth because I have been given love for people and wish them well.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I hope this helps...

How many religions professing Christianity, have taught / are still teaching Hellfire? Do you think that that teaching, that God burns people forever, draws their members closer to God...or would it make them fear God. It might even push them out of that religion!

I’ve known several people that quit religion altogether, because of that one doctrine!

How do you think God feels about that?
If someone said that about you...that you burn your children...how would you feel?

The Bible talks about using it to overturn “strongly entrenched things,” things that are untruths that take people away from Him. 2 Corinthians 10:4-5.

The truth is...for those who try to do what’s right & just, everything that is in Scripture about Jehovah, when understood accurately, draws you to Him, not pushes you away.

I believe in speaking the truth which means speaking about the reality of Hell. I don't need to comfort believers. We are already comforted. I don't mind discomforting the wicked and complacent who fantasize that they will never pay for their sins.